• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Distressing a leather jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by DarkKnight, Nov 9, 2017.

1. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'd be afraid the mildew would do its job.

navetsea likes this.
  2. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Just curious: what kind of leather is the Cooper? I've seen goatskin decades-old that barely look aged at all. Sometimes it doesn't seem to fade so much as get a worn-down, smooth look, which is kind of cool in its own right.

jonesy86 likes this.
  3. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I seem to remember that 80's distressed flight jacket look came out of the Indiana Jones craze that revived interest in worn looking leather.

Edward and Guppy like this.
  4. Guppy

Guppy One Too Many

In the film industry, they only have to care how it looks. On camera. For a few weeks. They don't have to care about it lasting after that. I think people who want to artificially age their stuff are too impatient.

Wear it, and let it naturally wear in.

Edward, Flightengineer and jonesy86 like this.
  5. Guppy

Guppy One Too Many

Mold will set in. Just wear it a lot, and don't baby it.

navetsea likes this.
  6. willyto

willyto Practically Family

If you want to break in your jacket faster the only thing you have to do is the following:

- Don't wear anything else but the jacket you want to break in (You're allowed to wear underwear, trousers are not mandatory though)

- When you get home don't remove your jacket except when taking a shower and some would even go as far as taking a shower with it.

Basically just wear the jacket 24/7 and you'll see the progress. You can help by rolling the jacket, spraying water over it until is damp while wearing it, pulling your sleeves up to your elbow, shaping the collar with warm water,etc but the secret is to just wear the jacket literally all the time without worrying about it at all. Don't ever hang it and just sleep with it.

If you remove your jacket then just roll it or throw it to the floor without any care, it helps the leather to break in.

Monitor, Guppy and jonesy86 like this.
  7. handymike

handymike My Mail is Forwarded Here

This is after 6-8 months. Aero FQHH
    [​IMG]
    It was bathed in and worn. Then I got it and did HWT to the whole thing again, and took a steamer to it.
    Now it is 1 year old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 1:54 AM
  8. super17

super17 New in Town

I am for the natural aging as well....but yet i don't like how leather jacket look when brand new! I d rather buy a good vintage. I heard about the "leave it outside few weeks in rain and sun" but wouldn t really trust it!

9. ton312

ton312 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Perhaps I'm alone here...but I love a new, crisp and unyielding leather jacket. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them as they take form to the wearer. But man, when you first put on a super stiff, thick ass jacket that hasn't yet been worn. It's pretty freak'n awsome.

10. navetsea

navetsea One Too Many

sometime it is just the kind of life we have don't do much to give character needed for a leather jacket, that's why my mannequin idea... I work by sitting behind a desk drawing, can't wear the jacket while doing it because the cuff zipper might scratch paper or monitor screen... and also room lighting don't do anything to fade the leather, so I guess while I'm doing my activity indoor the jacket might be outside, and later I will bring it in to inspect and wear, I won't leave it out days and night.

Monitor likes this.
  11. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

@zebedee, that sounds like an awesome class! I wish I could sit at the back and listen in on what your students think!
    Ubik is really clever! I read it twice in my teens and I'm still undecided about what 'really happened' in the book! The guy who made A Scanner Darkly as a movie had the movie option for Ubik too, last I heard, I hope he makes it!
    I blame Dick for turning me on to it, but especially now with the hipster movement's desire for 'authenticity' I really find these ideas of 'genuine', 'authentic' and 'accuracy' in clothes to be fascinating!

Edward likes this.
  12. Flightengineer

Flightengineer One of the Regulars

I like when the jacket aging naturally.
    I have several leather flight jackets, there are old ones among them and they came to me from the previous owners and there is wear - scratchs and tears. I look at them and imagine how, for example, this scratch appeared from contact with the plane cockpit , or from the parachute straps. These are interesting stories that could tell these jackets if they could talk.
    There are new ones, but I like to wear them myself. And this is already only my story. It seems to me that the aging is a forgery of history, although I can understand people who do not want to wait and want to have a "thing with a history" right now.
    But I do not want to age my new jackets artificially, let everything go its course and naturally.

jonesy86, BobJ and Guppy like this.
  13. ai00344

ai00344 New in Town

That’s a beautiful Seven Mike. What are your observations from using the steamer? I hadn’t considered this before

14. Quite. I remember being twenty and looking at new jeans, turning my punk rock nose up at spending £45 on 501s that bore a label making clear that they had been artificially aged and so may not last as long as those pairs not so.... (One think I always had that bucked thed stereotype was a dislike of ripped denim).

Lovely jacket - what model is it?

Clothes become particularly interesting once they cease being purely utilitarian and make a statement - whether style, political, tribal.... Most of my own interst in military clothing comes from an interest in repurposing it born, originally, from punk rock but later discovering it was a much, much older concept, such as Native Americans repurposing capture US Army bits and such.

15. handymike

I actually prefer the steamer to general HWT. I still use water for collars, but beyond that I find the steamer much more precise. I always steam out the insides of used/ vintage jackets to get rid of smells, etc.
    So then I started using it on the outside as well. I've found that I can get rid of shipping creases pretty easily without soaking the whole jacket. Sleeves can be done with the jacket worn, and since the water doesn't go all the way through the hide it dries faster. I also find the results a bit more subtle and (to my eye) more natural.
    This is with Horween FQHH and vintage heavier jackets- they can handle it.
    I have allowed my GW shinki jacket to get wrinkles on its own (by wearing it).
    My Thedi is also aging naturally

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    El Marro, ButteMT61, navetsea and 2 others like this.
  16. handymike

17. Butch_Coolidge

Butch_Coolidge Familiar Face

I have no actual knowledge about this. I would think that they do the distressing of the leather before they assemble the jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. DrMacabre

DrMacabre Familiar Face

Goatskin it is.

tropicalbob likes this.