Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do A-2s make good summer jackets?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think you may have nailed it there. Is there anybody on the site who has bought one of Aero's Quartermaster A-2s? I tried one on at the workshop, but the 36 was a little across the shoulders. Can't remember if it was a horse or steer.
One last thing, I'm still not quite sure what aniline means (you'd think after all these months on here, I'd know, but you'd be wrong) can anyone elucidate? :D

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The A-2 was indeed designed as a summer jacket... for dealing with the powerful winds of open cockpit flying, not for sweating it out on the surface. I have found mine much too warm for summer wear, even over just a T shirt. Perhaps in a super-low-humidity desert setting, but there's just no way here in the humid northeast.

In summer when there isn't blazing sun at major heat - like at night or in the rain - I've found that my Wested Raiders jacket is the only leather that I can comfortably wear. Lightweight lambskin, all-cotton lining, no knits on the waist or sleeves: it's much, much more comfortable than my A-2s once temps are above around 60.

I second what Doctor Strange says: My G&B Expedition (Indy) jacket is the only one that works when it is warmer. The knits on the A-2 simply no not allow for internal ventilation and are too prone to trap body heat on warm days.

majormajor

One Too Many
The one on the right is interesting. What model is it?

It is a US union made Lee jacket which was sold as a Chore Jacket, rather than the Cowboy 101J.

They made them since the late 30's, but mine dates from late 60's/early 70's.

Has the very nice birdseye buttons and Talon zips:D

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
One last thing, I'm still not quite sure what aniline means (you'd think after all these months on here, I'd know, but you'd be wrong) can anyone elucidate? :D

Hi Craig

This, from the net:

"analine leather". What this is referring to is leather that retains it's color from the dyestuffs rather then the pigment and as a consequence gives a more natural leather appearance. Analine leather is also referred to as pure, naked, or natural. They will patone, slight hue that gives character, with age. Full analine products are buttery soft and are mostly desired because of their true natural look and their temperature changing abilities. These leathers are premium hides with no correction. These leathers are the most expensive.

Edward

Bartender
Summer jacket in Glasgow? Wouldn't a B3 be better? Heh.... Really, I know - I've been in Glasgow when it was unbearably hot for me too (which is anything north of 25C. I was suffering there the day it hit 40C back here in London. 28C in Glasgow was tough on me, but so glad not to have been home in *that*). Depends on the Summer. My FQHH jackets are out of consideration by Easter in a warm year; my A2s (ELC horse and Aero goat) are normally fine (especially in the early morning, evening and after dark) until May or so. During Summer 2012 I wore my A2s and Highwayman (midweight Steer) as late as the end of July, but this was an especially wonderful (cooler than the norm) Summer. The only leather jacket I have that I consider a true Summer leather is my Wested Raiders. I had always quite fancied an Indy, but I actually bought this one for utilitarian purposes: lighter leather, light cotton lining, lack of knits making it more suitable to Summer weather. The leather on this one is goat. Not quite as light as their lamb (an ideal leather for warm weather, but much less tear resistant), though a touch lighter than the Aero goat. I find this works well on days in the Summer when I want a leather jacket. I also reach for a Harrington by preference during all but the hottest Summer days. Depending on the lining in the particular Harrington style jacket (I have them by several difference makers), it might actually be a touch warmer than the Wested.

Normal July and August daytime wear, though, leather sadly is not often an option. When absolutely forced to by climate I retreat into one of my linen jackets which are made to a denim trucker jacket pattern. Not perfect, but nice enough and certainly miles ahead of going out without a jacket at all.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sounds nice, and very different from horse hide. Hmmm. *mulls* Mind you, don't think it'd be v weather friendly.

majormajor

One Too Many
A couple of longer Denim jackets that might suit a Glasgow spring/autumn (it always seems to drizzle when I go there)....:eeek:;)

Here's a Lee 81LJ blanket lined Chore, and a Can't Bust 'Em unlined Chore.

My apologies for the rubbish phone-pic....

chorejackets.jpg

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Craig...iv got the lot ....steer.goat @ horsehide....great jackets every one...still breaking in my38-1711aero..but getting better with every wear....all are great for glasgow weather.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Summer jacket in Glasgow? Wouldn't a B3 be better?

Until you've seen hailstones and rain being blown at right-angles in June, you've seen nothing!
Having had the FQHH for a month now, I suspect that, come May, I may be looking for something lighter. The LHB it's without doubt the nicest thing in my wardrobe, but the wool and heavy leather may be just too much jacket for the season.
The cotton liner and a lighter leather may just be the job. I think the thing to do would be to try one on at some point...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
This weather must be heaven for Irvin wearers: "It's snowing, I'm warm and I'm STILL only wearing a t-shirt under this thing!"

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I think you may have nailed it there. Is there anybody on the site who has bought one of Aero's Quartermaster A-2s? I tried one on at the workshop, but the 36 was a little across the shoulders. Can't remember if it was a horse or steer.

I bought one. But I ordered Steer and they sent antiqued steer so it had to go back. It was a 44" which was a little bit tight under the arms, but too baggy in the body. I have a 42 HWM which fits me very well by contrast. In steer the A2 would have been too hot for a UK summer.

I've tried two A2s from Aero plus cheaper Coopers over the years but I can never get one to fit me well so I've given up on them. The Cooper was very light goat and probably would have been okay in summer. But that had arms like a duelist's shirt. Great baggy things.

I did have a Schott A 2 type jacket thirty years ago that I liked. But that was heavy, and I used it on my bike as well. Not a summer jacket in any way. Not very much like an A 2 either really.

Edward

Bartender
Sounds nice, and very different from horse hide. Hmmm. *mulls* Mind you, don't think it'd be v weather friendly.

What the linen? Ha, no. It's fine when you get aught in a deluge in Summer in Beijing because once the rain stops, the heat dries you out in minutes. Really, though, it's only for when it's so stupid hot that I'd otherwise be unable to wear a jacket. All my Harrington styles are grand in light rain (needs to be really heavy and constant before they'll soak through). Wet Summer days are when I find the Barbour International (mine is the trimmer Trials model) great.

Until you've seen hailstones and rain being blown at right-angles in June, you've seen nothing!

Ha... Yeah. ~Sounds great to me.... the only thing I miss about the WSix Counties is the weather. Too hot to be ideal down here for half the year. Last Summer aside - so perfect, I was wearing FQHH in July.

Having had the FQHH for a month now, I suspect that, come May, I may be looking for something lighter. The LHB it's without doubt the nicest thing in my wardrobe, but the wool and heavy leather may be just too much jacket for the season.
The cotton liner and a lighter leather may just be the job. I think the thing to do would be to try one on at some point...

Yes... I'd go looking for a used deal. FWIW, the Wested Indys can be had for a song used - I think I paid just about seventy for mine, and there was no reason to doubt the seller's "worn once" blurb.

Edward

Bartender
I wear an A-2 for spring and fall, or even in the winter when just driving. But for summer I actually wear an RAF General Service Jacket which comes with a detachable quilted liner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-GENER..._Men_s_Coats_Jackets&var=&hash=item3a655e7308

Or a repro German windjacke if I want to be more stylish.

John

I have never handled one of those RAF jackets in person, nor seen a photo of one being worn (don't suppose you have any?), but I do like the look of them. Put me in mind of a very 50s looking (but recent production) Merc jacket I have, which is basically a Harrington except with a pointed shirt collar rather than the squared-edge collar tabs. If anything like the same quality, one of these would be an excellent alternative to an expensive G9 or similar.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
There seems to be some sort of variation on size when it comes to Aero Quartermaster A2s. I tried on the 36 when and it was just too tight across the shoulder for me to say 'yes', even at such a good price - I was picking up another jacket, so it would've needed to be on the button. I wonder if a 38 could do the job without looking too loose around the midriff. Tricky one.
Love the Chore jacket, MM, takes denim back from the hipsters!:D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I bought one. But I ordered Steer and they sent antiqued steer so it had to go back. It was a 44" which was a little bit tight under the arms, but too baggy in the body. I have a 42 HWM which fits me very well by contrast. In steer the A2 would have been too hot for a UK summer.

I've tried two A2s from Aero plus cheaper Coopers over the years but I can never get one to fit me well so I've given up on them. The Cooper was very light goat and probably would have been okay in summer. But that had arms like a duelist's shirt. Great baggy things.

I did have a Schott A 2 type jacket thirty years ago that I liked. But that was heavy, and I used it on my bike as well. Not a summer jacket in any way. Not very much like an A 2 either really.

Should you ever make it to San Diego, be sure to drop by Gibson & Barnes and try on their Expedition (Indy) jacket. I suspect that their size 42 should fit you very well, or maybe a size 44 should you want a looser fit. Very similar to an A-2 without the knits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo