Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I have what it takes?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My kids (a boy and a girl) are your age and they both often wear fedoras and incorporate some vintage pieces into their wardrobe, though by no means are they full blown vintage; more like a fledgling Johnny Depp lite look. Also it should be noted that they live in Aspen (CO) which has a high artsy/hipster quotient so their look is met with positive feedback from community. YMMV in that regard......

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
I am 15 and I don't know if I would look good in fedoras and old clothes(suits and such). Any advice on actions that I should take?

Hi,

I'd say you're halfway there, if at 15 you state on a public forum, that that's your intention. As others suggest, try incorporating say, a fedora with some timeless classics, initially. Try some dark blue 501's (turned up), a checked shirt, and maybe a Harrington jacket? That way, you'll blend in, but also make a statement, when you're wearing the hat. And, don't forget the shoes.......say a decent pair of tan brogues, or loafers, instead of tired old sneakers.

If that look works for you, then you could progress to suits/jackets later on. You don't want to splash out money, only to find it doesn't work for you. Sure, you'll get some comments along the way, but in my experience, they're more positive, than negative.

Enjoy...!

Danny O

I'm with Danny O, that's my typical attire, I don't go out without a fedora, and always some sort of dress or plaid shirt, nice jeans, nice boots, etc. You don't have to go out in a suit and you can still make it known you're vintage without being in your face about it.

More liberal areas will be more accepting, but I live in a small village and I've never heard much discouraging about my attire. Almost always good. I'm just the old-fashioned guy.

JHarland

New in Town
Thanks for all the advice. I think I have an outfit figured out, I took some clothing from all of you I think. Some dark blue jeans turnup style, a plain white dress shirt, a black sweater vest, a black belt and fedora, and for shoes a pair of Stacy Adams and the style is Dayton they are black with a tad bit of white. Any input on this outfit?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm 19 and have been wearing a fedora regularly since I was 16. I've been wearing vintage or vintage inspired clothing for the last year and a half. Where I lived then it drew a lot of unpleasant comments, and it does where I live now, but I've learned not to care about what anyone else says (unless it's complimentary). I'd say if you want to wear vintage clothes and you're comfortable doing so then do it.

If you're confident enough to wear a fedora at age 15, you've got what it takes. I didn't start wearing them regularly until I was in my 40's, and wish I hadn't waited so long.

Another option for a vintage look is plain front khakis or 5-pocket corduroys with a banded collar or henley type shirt, and a vest. It's kind of a depression era dress-down look to me.
A fedora with turned-up or Hollywood brim would look great with that outfit.

JHarland

New in Town
Thanks for everyones input, I am going to try some clothes on at a store on Thursday to see if I can find a fedora that matches my face and then work off of the fedora. (Also I have glasses will that affect the way a fedora looks at all?) Thanks again for all the replies.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for everyones input, I am going to try some clothes on at a store on Thursday to see if I can find a fedora that matches my face and then work off of the fedora. (Also I have glasses will that affect the way a fedora looks at all?) Thanks again for all the replies.

Glasses shouldn't affect your choice much I think, but a wider brim may be a good idea as it will keep the lenses dry if it rains.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Have you established your brim preference yet, as in wide versus moderate or narrow? When I started, I went straight to wearing two wide brimmed fedoras; a shantung "Panama" hat 2 3/4 inches, and a 2 1/2 inch brim wool Jaxon c-crown crushable hat. Looking back at it, I might have gone with somewhat shorter brims, but not too narrow. Crown height is another important aspect of a hat, the crown is the height of it. I prefer lower crowns, for myself, that being 4 to 4 1/4 inch crowns (when shaped, not open crown. Expect to have at least 5 1/4 inches on any open crowned hat that is sold uncreased).

Your first hat will probably be the one that you may enjoy most, looking back at it, or it could at the least serve as a sort of model for finding out which hat creases (shapes) look the best. Some people look best in wider brims, while others look their best wearing narrower ones. I thought that you could use some advice on that.

To answer your first question: yes, you have what it takes!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wear it with self confidence, look as though YOU OWN 'THE LOOK' and enjoy the compliments :)
(Nothing else matters my friend - enjoy the positives of it and just surf over the negatives wearing a smile and a fedora).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Keep in mind that Big Man lives in your neck of the woods. I suspect that if anyone gives you a hard time, he'll be glad to show them the error of their ways. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats