Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a favorite vintage movie car?

Blackjack

One Too Many
Not Bond's DB5
Not Matt Helms rolling motel wagon
or the Batmobile...

I really dig the pumped up taxi Peter Boyle drove in "The Shadow"
taxi.jpg

Not quite sure what they chopped up to make it, but any yellow & black supercharged taxicab with a Sunshine Radio sign on top is too cool man!

Jerekson

One Too Many
BlackJack, that car was created using a 1930's era Cord Speedster. Or so I am led to believe.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Jerekson said:
BlackJack, that car was created using a 1930's era Cord Speedster. Or so I am led to believe.

It certainly looks like a coffin-nosed Cord to me. The Graham Hollywoods and the Hupmobile Skylarks used the same body tooling but weren't front-wheel drive and did not have the distinctive grille.

1941HupmobileSkylark.jpg

1941Graham.jpg

The car that originally got me into old cars and retro culture in general is the generic "jalopy" from Disney's Make Mine Music:

ol_jalop.jpg

-Dave

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Topper

In the 1937 Hal Roach flick "Topper", which was just shown on TCM the other night, Cary Grant and Constance obliterate themselves in a super looking car which I thought looked a lot like a Cord, but was actually a souped up Buick with a vertical tail fin.
Another Cary Grant Buick was the 41 Buick Super convertible that Mr Blandings drove to Connecticut to find his dream house. That's my real dream car, the 41 Buick. Sigh . . .

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
SamMarlowPI said:
i could list forever but my top three are all from the same film:

I know AG is sacred, but I've always thought a remake with better cars would be even cooler. Something like Axle Idzardi's Deuce Coupe for Milner, a 409 Impala for Bob Falfa, and a set of whitewalls for Steve Bolander's '58. Oh, and get rid of the ridiculous rake on the Pharoh's Merc.

-Dave

Flivver

Practically Family
Blackjack said:
Not Bond's DB5
Not Matt Helms rolling motel wagon
or the Batmobile...

I really dig the pumped up taxi Peter Boyle drove in "The Shadow"
taxi.jpg

Not quite sure what they chopped up to make it, but any yellow & black supercharged taxicab with a Sunshine Radio sign on top is too cool man!

It's either a 1936 Cord 810 Westchester Sedan or a 1937 Cord 812 Beverly Sedan.

And, believe it or not, this car wasn't chopped or chanelled. Cords were front wheel drive. And because they didn't have a driveshaft running down the middle of the car, and a rear differential, they could be built much lower than other cars of the day.

It doesn't appear to be customized at all except for the paint and illuminated taxi sign.

Flivver

Practically Family
Oops...I forgot to mention my favorite movie car!

Being a car nut, my list could go on forever, but one that comes to mind is the mid-twenties Springfield Rolls-Royce Roadster that Antonio Moreno used for his date with Clara Bow in the 1927 movie "It".

When Clara goes up to her flat and looks down at the street at Moreno in that Rolls, the car looks a mile long!

Wow, what a car!

Blackjack

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
In the 1937 Hal Roach flick "Topper", which was just shown on TCM the other night, Cary Grant and Constance obliterate themselves in a super looking car which I thought looked a lot like a Cord, but was actually a souped up Buick with a vertical tail fin.
Another Cary Grant Buick was the 41 Buick Super convertible that Mr Blandings drove to Connecticut to find his dream house. That's my real dream car, the 41 Buick. Sigh . . .

I thought Topper was driving an Auburn Speedster...not too many folks know they still make them though, check it out!
http://www.speedstermotorcar.com/photos.php?section=speedster_photos

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
It was the 70s...

Alan

David Conwill said:
I know AG is sacred, but I've always thought a remake with better cars would be even cooler. Something like Axle Idzardi's Deuce Coupe for Milner, a 409 Impala for Bob Falfa, and a set of whitewalls for Steve Bolander's '58. Oh, and get rid of the ridiculous rake on the Pharoh's Merc.

-Dave

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Blackjack said:
I thought Topper was driving an Auburn Speedster...not too many folks know they still make them though, check it out!
http://www.speedstermotorcar.com/photos.php?section=speedster_photos
I know it looks a lot like it, but according to several links that I got when I Googled it, it's a very souped up Buick. Notice in the movie, they show it zoom by as it goes off the road (twice, actually), then you hear a loud crash, then you see it overturned. They weren't going to actually wreck a car like that!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
David Conwill said:

-Dave

IMO, American Graffiti shouldn't be touched...maybe the blue would look good on Milners Deuce, but in no way would a 409 Impy top Falfas 454 '55...and i'm pretty sure the Pharaoh Merc' didn't have any rake...just lowered a bit...:)
here's another of my favorites:

Bullitt2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24