Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Have Arrangements

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Hi,

This might be an unusual way to phrase it, but after reading the post on shorts, does anybody have an arrangement with their wife, husband or good friends that they do not wear certain items.

For years, my girlfriend Bunny and I did not wear denim. When we went out it was always coat and tie, and she always wore a dress. Then she married a man who kind of corrupted her taste and she started wearing denim.

When we get together, on rare occasions, I also sometimes wear denim. We would often say, when we saw a couple wearing jeans, "we're better than that"! We took it to crazy standards, going to the bar in suits, or eating at fancy places. I think one year, I actually wore tails to her birthday dinner.

I would like to meet a lady who's also into vintage, just as Bunny and I were, but is it odd to assume or ask somebody (especially a main squeeze) to wear something or not, based solely on the idea that an item of clothing is too mundane or pedestrian?

Do you have certain items you like to see a girlfriend wear (nothing adult oriented here, I don't want to hear that you want her to wear short skirts or pervy underwear) or that you want your boyfriend to wear? For example, do you prefer the company you keep to not wear ballcaps? Tee shirts?

What is it your SO insists you wear, what you ask her/him to wear or do you have mutual items you both choose not to wear?

C.

Edward

Bartender
I have the extreme good fortune that my other half neither demands I wear or not wear anything specific, nor does she refuse to bed seen with me even if what I choose to wear on any given day isn't her favourite. I wouldn't dream of trying to tell her what she could and could not wear either. I can't honestly think of anything either of us wears which embarrasses the other.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
In my opinion, a relationship only works if you like each other the way you are, any attempt to change your other half will result in dscontent and unhappiness. Find someone who you like the way they are rather than finding someone and then try to form them to your wishes. That being applied to your clothing question, I would never tell my girlfriend to dress in any other way than the one she likes best and I expect the same acceptance from her. We're both grown-ups and it's not like any of us is unreasonable enough to wear sweatpants to a wedding or anything equally socially awkward for the other of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo