Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you say Goodbye on the 'phone?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Perhaps some of our American cousins can answer a question that has plagued me for years; when you are talking to someone on the phone and the converation is over, do you say goodbye?
In almost every American film or TV programme I have seen, the characters just hang up without saying goodbye - it just seems so rude! How do you know the conversation is over?

Is it because I am British? To do so over here would seem strange, and quite rude. Is this just something that happens on TV and in the movies, or is it the norm to hang up without saying goodbye? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Yes, one says goodbye, or bye, which I would say is the norm. (I am one of your American cousins, despite my location. No relation to the Lincolns, though.)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
So is the hanging up thing only for the benefit of TV and movies, to allow the character to look stricken then hang up the phone with a dramatic clatter?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I always say "Goodbye," and I also always say "Hello," unless I'm at work, in which case I answer with the name of the business. Item number 43869 on my list of Pet Peeves is people who just start in talking as soon as you pick up the phone without greeting you or identifying themselves. I suppose this is a by product of the cell-phone/caller ID era, but that's no excuse.

It's also not just young people who do it. My mother is notorious for not wasting her time with telephone pleasantries, and half the time when she calls me she's well into a description of her latest bladder problem before I realize who it is yelling into my ear.

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
According to Roger Ebert, "Good manners slow the flow. Ever notice how movie characters always stop talking on the phone without saying goodbye? Also, when a couple is making a date and agree on "Tuesday night," how often do they say when and where?"

This makes sense, I have been know to call back the person I was just speaking with after we hang up and say goodbye because to do so in the conversation we were just having to say "goodbye" would have been to upset the tempo of the discussion.

Cobden

Practically Family
'Phone calls in TV and film are largely there to provide exposition; hence the lack of pleasantries and the tendency for characters to repeat exactly what the bloke on the other end just said (unless they use a split screen 'phone call)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are often five to ten minutes (or even more) of goodbyeing, trailing off into an Alphonse and Gaston routine, of each person trying to get in the last "Bye, now". Sometimes pretty comical.
But yeah, of course we say goodbye.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes I always say hello and goodbye, or some variation thereof.

What I have noticed, though, is that the tendency to do or not do this is age related. Kids seem to just start talking and then just hang up when they are done. Incredibly rude. My parents, however, have to say hello and goodbye multiple times. In general, I find that most people my age and older always say hello and goodbye, at least once. :)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Yes I always say hello and goodbye, or some variation thereof.

What I have noticed, though, is that the tendency to do or not do this is age related. Kids seem to just start talking and then just hang up when they are done. Incredibly rude. My parents, however, have to say hello and goodbye multiple times. In general, I find that most people my age and older always say hello and goodbye, at least once. :)

I remember once being at my friend's house & hearing her brother on the phone. I would have been about 11, Ben was 18. His side went "Matt? Ben. Beach? 10? Yeah". Amazing economy with language.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I tend to confuse people by saying "Cheers!" at the end of the conversation instead of "Bye" or "Good-bye." Then I have to say "Bye" anyway so they get that I'm about to hang up. :eusa_doh:

Bye!
Tom

CharlieB

A-List Customer
I always say "Goodbye," and I also always say "Hello," unless I'm at work, in which case I answer with the name of the business. Item number 43869 on my list of Pet Peeves is people who just start in talking as soon as you pick up the phone without greeting you or identifying themselves. I suppose this is a by product of the cell-phone/caller ID era, but that's no excuse.

It's also not just young people who do it. My mother is notorious for not wasting her time with telephone pleasantries, and half the time when she calls me she's well into a description of her latest bladder problem before I realize who it is yelling into my ear.

Absolutely, Lizzie. When my daughter was a teenager, and one of her friends called and did not identify themselves, I always made a point to ask. Such an annoying habit, especially since 1. I did not recognize all their voices (if in fact I had ever met them), and 2. some times people would call whom my daughter did not want to speak with.

In summary (I know, "too late") some form of greeting including your name, and a pleasant goodbye at the end!

Pompidou

One Too Many
I always begin with, "Hey, how's it going?" and I always close with, "Alrighty, see you later... Have a good one... Bye." Takes forever to actually be able to hang up - a contest of who's going to get the last word.

zombi

A-List Customer
Absolutely. I always answer with some variant of hello and then end with some variant of goodbye.

Of course at work I have to answer with the name of the unit, my name, and ask how I can help them, as opposed to hello.

Big_e

Practically Family
I always say bye or later, unless you and I are gangsters. In that case I would just say, "Come by yourself with the money. Any sign of coppers or flatfoots and the deal's off.". *click*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy