Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you sometimes feel like a freak?

Warlock

Suspended
I do not feel like a freak, although I get the stares. I am sure many of you have also learned to spot the cell phone camera in action taking your photograph. I did have someone accost me and ask if I was someone she ought to know. When I replied that I doubted that, she was huffy. She retorted with, "Then why are you dressed like that." Fortunately her speedy departure deprived me of the dazzling riposte I might have cut her with.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Bebop said:
It seems to me everyone wants to "do their own thing" or "express themselves" by getting the tattoos or hairstyle or pierced body part that everyone else has. It's getting to the point where not having any of these things that used to mean you were different is what makes you different. I never understand the groups of people that want to dress alike and get together to talk about how different they are. [huh] Like the bikers. Or the people with tattoos that cover their arms to the point of being indestinguishable from anyone elses full body tattoos and insist that they have them to express themselves. I feel like a freak and then embrace that feeling. :) I know that a lot of guys look at me and wish they could pull off wearing a hat as comfortably as I wear it.

Bebop. What you said here reminds me of something I read in MAD Magazine in the '70s. They were joking, but it's true; "Ever notice how nonconformists all look alike?"

I don't dress vintage . . . yet. I've never been a hat person, but I've always liked the fedora and other vintage styles. Vintage styles - particularly '30s and '40s are my favorites and I feel they reflect the best of class and style. Which could explain why Cary Grant is one of my favorite actors. :D

Lee

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Really don't know what to say.

With all the skin art, Baggy pants that hang half way down butts.pierced nose, eyebrows and tongues. Ballcaps on sideways with the tags off. Torn jeans with shoes and no socks. I wonder why some of us feel like we're out of placelol Well I kinda do look like the picture in my avater

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
rockyj said:
With all the skin art, Baggy pants that hang half way down butts.pierced nose, eyebrows and tongues. Ballcaps on sideways with the tags off. Torn jeans with shoes and no socks.
And that's just the females.
Yes, when I am in public I am nicely dressed and sometimes I feel out of place but never improper. I don't dress much vintage either, but I like hats even though I have long hair.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Steve said:
If I walk around with a vintage or classic look, I never feel like a freak for long, because within the first five minutes of being out, a gaggle of boxer shorts-clad loafers in their thong sandles and Family Guy t-shirts walks by and reminds me that I stand for class, and not mediocrity.

Hear, hear! :D

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
I always feel kind of embarrassed because i am so dressed up compared to other people. All the time. I am worried people might think i'm a try hard

Edward

Bartender
pigeon toe said:
In the end though, I get a lot of compliments on how I look, and it makes me feel better to take the time to look nice.

And so you should, judging from your avatar!

As the low post count to the left (single figures!) will no doubt attest, I'm very new to the full on retro thing (pre 1975ish, anyhow).... I've been into the whole clothese things for years and flit between a bunch of different alt looks (I even appeared as an extra in a soap opera "goth wedding" once in stuff culled entirely from my own wardrobe). Thing I've learned is, though, you've got to be yourself and run that risk of other folks thinking you look daft. Hell, if they've got no sense of style, that's their problem. I move a lot in Rocky Horror circles, and over there we kinda have a tendency to take a perverse amusement in scaring the "normals" who don't get it... though I guess (in broad daylight, and with company around me!) there's a lot you can get away with saying as Dr Frank'n'Furter I'd never have the nerve to otherwise... I only ever got physically attacked for looking like "a freak" the once (in Liverpool, UK. Boys in bondage trousers and semi-drag ain't so popular there, it appears!). It does unsettle you, but usually it's possible to find a compromise that's a little toned down but definitely yourself if you have to move in unknown or hostile territory on your own...

"Don't dream it, be it" and all that... :)

Edward

Bartender
Emmababy said:
I always feel kind of embarrassed because i am so dressed up compared to other people. All the time. I am worried people might think i'm a try hard

Question - apropos of nothing, and OT, sorry, but - just clocked your location - you don't happen to frequent the CandyBox burlesque nights at the Glee club, do you? I've known Saff and Al who run that night for a few years, and they're largely responsible for getting me into this whole retro trip...

Mildred

New in Town
oyster world

My hubby and I were just talking about how we always felt different growing up from other kids. Both of us-we marched to our own band music.

When they other kids listening to Rock-I wasn't interested-I liked old jazz albums.
When they wore tee shirts and jeans-I wore a dress and heels.
When they wanted to rebel from adults-I wanted to talk with every old person I could find... to get their life stories.

I always loved history and big band music. Maybe we are just old souls.

Stay true to who you are and you will always be happy. I found my ideal mate who just happens to love the Golden Era days as much as I do. It helps me not feel so lonely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR