Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please opinion on this leather jacket fit

DPR

New in Town
Hi everyone! Even though I always check this forum for advice and comments, I finally registered and this will my first post. So I remember wearing leather jackets since I was a teenager and I never worried about how they fit on me or which hide they were. As long as I was comfortable that was fair enough for me. Now, in my 40s, I do care lol. So I bought this jacket on eBay, Schott 643 (for Japanese market), which was basically new. It fits good in my opinion, but I want some feedback from you guys. The back looks weird for me, so I don't know if this will break-in eventually and drape or if this is a bad fit (maybe too long?). For reference, I'm between 5'7"-5'8", 165lbs (I'm usually 158lb but I have not exercised at all for 9 months due to a surgery). The jacket is size 38 and I usually wear size 38 on suits (although now because of my weight I may be 39-40 since 38 now feels a little tight on my suit jackets). I would really appreciate your feedback! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20240507_104752.jpg
    20240507_104752.jpg
    892.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20240507_104823.jpg
    20240507_104823.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 20240507_104835.jpg
    20240507_104835.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 20240507_104845.jpg
    20240507_104845.jpg
    810.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 20240507_104854.jpg
    20240507_104854.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 153

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why are so many people jumping ahead and buying Japanese market jackets? They pretty much never fit properly (or at least according to the tag that they're marked). I think this is at least a size too small.

You'd be well served by one of the mainline equivalents.

jchance

One of the Regulars
Do you plan to wear it zipped or no zipped? For no zipped, it looks fine. Zipped up, it looks a bit tight (the back view, for example). But as long as you can move in it, I think it’s also fine, especially how you still plan to lose 8 more lbs.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I think it looks great.
The back will look like this on one piece backed jackets because having seams is where you get the contours of a more form fitting back. So while I see what you’re talking about with the back, I’d chalk it up as part of the deal when you’re getting a single piece backed jacket.
Have you tried loosening the side buckles so it hangs down further? That would help the bunching.
I think any jacket with adjustment belts that are placed lower than the natural waist, (at the belly button, where your ribs end) Is going to do this to some extent.
It looks like a really good fit, and that the picadillos you’re mentioning are the nature of the beast.

Aloysius

When I was at the Schott factory, I met and befriended a guy who was short with a 32 or 34 inch chest. He couldn't find anything marked in his size, so I handed him a couple of Schott Japan (I could tell by the label) jackets in size 38.

They were a tight fit. :D

Aloysius

I think it looks great.
The back will look like this on one piece backed jackets because having seams is where you get the contours of a more form fitting back. So while I see what you’re talking about with the back, I’d chalk it up as part of the deal when you’re getting a single piece backed jacket.
Have you tried loosening the side buckles so it hangs down further? That would help the bunching.
I think any jacket with adjustment belts that are placed lower than the natural waist, (at the belly button, where your ribs end) Is going to do this to some extent.
It looks like a really good fit, and that the picadillos you’re mentioning are the nature of the beast.

If it was just about the one piece back, we'd see the other one piece back Schotts of this configuration hang like this. They don't.

Look at Tony or Guppy's 689H.

DPR

New in Town
Thank you for the replies so far. To be honest, I was not looking specifically for a Japanese market jacket, I was actually looking for a Schott 641HH, but this one came as a choice, and I like the collar as well, so based on the measurements I decided to get it.
Regarding the fit, I really thought you would say it was too long for me and that was the reason the back looks weird. I can put a hoodie or sweater and still feels comfortable even zipped. There is definitely room inside (although I wear it without the liner that came with it). Thank you and I look forward to more opinions :) And yes, as soon as I recover I should go back to my weight, which would be 8-10lbs less.

Aloysius

Thank you for the replies so far. To be honest, I was not looking specifically for a Japanese market jacket, I was actually looking for a Schott 641HH, but this one came as a choice, and I like the collar as well, so based on the measurements I decided to get it.

Sell it to some weeb who fetishes Japanese market jackets and then you can use the money to buy a 689H and still have money left over.

DPR

New in Town
Sell it to some weeb who fetishes Japanese market jackets and then you can use the money to buy a 689H and still have money left over.
haha I just saw that model (689H). It is a very good-looking jacket!

Aloysius

haha I just saw that model (689H). It is a very good-looking jacket!

It's basically what you were looking for. It's a 641HH with a shirt collar, essentially, and a really incredible horsehide.

DPR

New in Town
It's basically what you were looking for. It's a 641HH with a shirt collar, essentially, and a really incredible horsehide.
That's what I was looking at the beginning, a horsehide jacket that will last me and I could pass it along to my kids. I'll check on eBay to see if I find one here in the US. As for the fitting on this 643, do you think the back will drape better with time? I don't really feel the jacket tight on me, I can move comfortably even with a hoodie or sweater.

Edward

Bartender
When I was at the Schott factory, I met and befriended a guy who was short with a 32 or 34 inch chest. He couldn't find anything marked in his size, so I handed him a couple of Schott Japan (I could tell by the label) jackets in size 38.

They were a tight fit. :D

Yeah. I generally find in Japanese and Chinese clothing generally I need to go up one and often two sizes. I'm typically around an XL/XXL in the UK, a L/XL in the US, and an XXXL-XXXXL in the Far East!

Reactions: DPR

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Mobility checks out. The slim look is personal choice. I like it on some jackets but not all. The lower back folds will always be there, it's just how it is, its a combination of sharp taper and the action pleats. As long as you can move your arms around while fully zipped you're fine.

This one is not Schott but similar in fit, I find that as long as the shoulder is roomy enough for movement the torso can be skin tight, just a different aesthetic.
JL CHP Slim closed.JPG

JL CHP Slim open.JPG

And congrats on your new jacket. I think you did just fine.

Peacoat

Bartender
It looks a little tight to me, but as long as you can comfortably move in it, it is OK. Will be a better fit when you lose the 8 pounds or so.

Aloysius

FWIW when I was in front of Alan and Damon trying on a jacket with that kind of bunching in the back, which is more or less accepted on TFL for that sort of gripped front fit, they said it doesn't look good or fit right. (I'd thought it looked fine, but I trust them as the experts; they get it better than I do.)

I don't mention this to override anyone's individual preferences, but rather because most of us except the guys who live in the Bay Area and the guys who've hung out at the Thedi workshop, rarely get that kind of direct feedback from the jacket makers due to ordering online.

Bennarion

One Too Many
The jacket is small at the waist, so there are folds on the back. Overall, the jacket looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff