Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you tell?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
And that's one of the things our culture has placed on mom's, that since we've got kids, we can no longer be sexy. I think children just adds beauty to us. As I get older, my tastes do change, as probably everyone else's, but there is a freedom in looking feminine and a confidence that goes with it as well. There is a lot of negativity in our culture with being a mom, that really, is very sad, it is the best thing in the world to be, and should be praised.

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
I've always had issues with my age. When I was a teenager, people consistently thought I was in my late 20s or early 30s, which most the time upset me to no exent. Now that I am in my 20s, people think I am an a young teenager. So, I can't win. But, I do tend to fudge on my age. People tend to not respect your opinion as much if you are young. People try to gauge who you are by your age, whereas the people I've met who get to know me without knowing my age, still don't know or care what my age is.
That being said, when my Gammy died about 5 years ago, none of her family knew how old she was, because she never told any one. We finally decided on between 90-91, but we still aren't sure!
-Stormi

Katydid

One of the Regulars
I'm a very green 23....soon to be 24 towards the end of the year. I still get carded everywhere I go for alcohol and that gets to me because they look at me like I'm some criminal. It doesn't help that I'm waaaaayyyy short. As for asking other people....if they are around my age and I'm comfortable I ask but I NEVER ask my elders their age even if I know them well. It was sort of an unspoken rule in my house.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Don't feel bad for getting carded, Katydid: at a catered party the waiter wouldn't give me any coffee until my dad okayed it. "Yes, I saw her raise her hand but I thought she was too young." For coffee! I'm 22!

Recently, on the bus, I was reprimanded by a gentleman who appeared to be in his 70s, for cutting school. lol

So yeah, I say my real age.

Irena

One of the Regulars
I don't mind telling people my age, except when it makes a difference in how I'm treated. I've missed out on a good number of interesting conversations and debates because someone knows (or guesses) my age and automatically labels me a "stupid teen-ager" in their mind. And at times I'm better informed on the subject than the older people! It's just sad. I hope I'm not like that when I'm older. Actually, I hope I'm not like that now.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
At this point in my life I do tell people, but I think after 30 I may stop. LOL I remember as a young young kid I thought I am going to age gracefully and not care and be proud of my age... I find the older I get the less that is true!! I don't think it is so much about the way I look and age, but I think it is more of my accomplishments (or lack there of) and my age.

In the end I still act 12... 6 if I don't get my way... so what's age have to do with anything!?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Hehehe that reminds me... my Mom keeps asking me when am I going to have children. I figure she already has 3 grandboys and 2 grandgirls from my brother and sister... what's my rush! :) Besides, my dogs call her Nana. Ok so they don't really call her that, but that is her nickname when referring to my boys. :)

Etienne said:
Hey, I WANT to be called Grandma!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I just don't want to LOOK like an OLD Grandma!!)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't say I am ashamed of my age... I am more ashamed of my lack of achievements and unattempted goals at my age.

Tin Pan Sally said:
I don't understand being ashamed of age. I'm proud, I EARNED every year.
Raiders of the Lost Ark quote -- "It's not the years, it's the mileage"

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
here is the why I look at it...

as I get older, I have more younger women to look at....:eek:

:)

all of you are younger than me...:D

uh-oh...how did I get in here....I think I better go back out in the mall and sit on the bench in front of the Victori's Secret shop.....

mark the shoeshine boy

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
having kids is going to take more of a mentality older than a 12yr old....definetely 6! believe me, once the kids come, they come first, always.
I know I'll love every year I add on, won't say that I plan on aging gracefully since I plan on keeping my hair dyed brunette and have my wrinkle cream in store :D
Mark: Shame on you!!!! lol well, at least the manequins there will always smile back at you

Rosie

One Too Many
I graduated from high school when I was 15, college when I was 19 and grad school first time around when I was 22 so, I USED to tell people my age with confidence, like, I was kind of proud of it. When I turned 25 it really hit my like goddness, I'm 25! :eek: So, I stayed 25 for the next two birthdays and then I thought, what the hey, and when I turned 28 late last year, I proudly announced my 28 years. However, the response to my age has turned from, "You're only xx and you've done blah, blah, blah" to, "You're 28? When are you going to get married? When are you going to have children?" As I'm approaching 30, I'm not sure if I'll readily admit my age as I get older if I'm unmarried and childless, I know it's dumb but, it's crossed my mind on occassion to fudge if that occurrs.

Rosie

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I was always told to never ask a woman her age:eek:

But as to me,....I'm 39 and holding. ;)

I remember an episode of The Dick Van Dyke show I saw a few years ago where Rob asked Laura about her age and she became angry at him. I remember thinking it was pretty weird that she wouldn't tell her own husband her age.

Novella

Practically Family
PrettySquareGal said:
I like to be assessed for me, not an age bracket.

You said it perfectly! I don't like being young because people often give less respect to younger people. Of course I lack the kind of life experience that everyone older than me has but that shouldn't make my opinions and thoughts any less valid. I'm looking forward to getting older if only to not be placed in a bracket of reckless Ugg and miniskirt wearing semi-alcoholics. Well, that's a little harsh but that sums up the stereotype that I see for college going undergrads where I live. I'm definitely not above youthful debauchery, but I think my head's screwed on well enough to look at the long term, have respect, and know that I'm not invincible.

I tell my age but don't usually volunteer it unless someone asks. I look forward to days when I can say I'm 30, 40, 50, etc. (And I look forward to my peers being older with at least some of them acting a bit more mature.)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I find that I often genuinely forget how old I am. Some have misinterpreted my pause to do some quick mental arithmetic with hesitation over "telling" but I don't have a problem with admitting my age at all--in a few short weeks I'll be 38. In a related note, I'll sometimes look up what my favorite celebrities or writers were doing when they were my age which can be fun.

Naama

Practically Family
In school I always was the only kid who didn't know how old her mother was, because she didn't even wanted to tell that her kids! She was always like "You don't ask a women about her age!", I never really understood it....
Well, today I'm 21, and sometimes, it's already a bit hard for me, I fell quite old in some way. I also think that I look older but strangely, people often treat me like a kid and somehow only the little boys (with that I mean 16 or 17 or so) are after me :eusa_doh: So, I can't look that old(?)
I don't lie but I really don't like to tell (younger) people.

Naama

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
Don't feel bad for getting carded, Katydid: at a catered party the waiter wouldn't give me any coffee until my dad okayed it. "Yes, I saw her raise her hand but I thought she was too young." For coffee! I'm 22!

Recently, on the bus, I was reprimanded by a gentleman who appeared to be in his 70s, for cutting school. lol

So yeah, I say my real age.
For coffee?! I never heard of such a thing! The gentleman on the bus....haha, too funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn