Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you use a vintage camera?

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
1927 Kodak folding Pocket Camera. It works like a dream. It uses 120 film, which is still pretty easy to get. I find that I tend to see "vintage" when I use this camera so I end up with pictures of old buildings, cars, etc.

GearHead

One of the Regulars
Photography is one of my hobbies so of course I have the latest Canon digital equipment but I also love the look of true B&W film.
Digital at least so far can not match the tonal variations of B&W film yet.
I use a 1948 Graflex Crown Graphic for my B&W film work.
I also enjoy having to do my own developing since almost no one develops sheet film anymore.
With the large 4x5" negative you also get great quality even when cropping an image down. The negative is pretty much the size of a standard print so you can really enlarge the image wihtout loosing detail and quality.
For B&W there's no comparision to film.

Erick

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Old cameras are great fun! (I do own a digital for "quick memories.") Depending on my mood, and in no particular order, I switch between the following: A Yashica 12 TLR, Yashica Electro rangefinder, Argus C3 rangefinder, Kodak Brownie, or Pouva Start (which is a beautifully odd bakelite thing). I have a beloved Pentax K1000 in need of repair and enjoy the quirky Holga. I usually shoot black and white, but the Yashica lenses give some outstanding color results.

matei

One Too Many
I've got a "vintage" (1950s) Soviet-made FED rangefinder type camera. I inherited it from my father-in-law. He picked it up on a trip to Moscow in the mid '50s. It is a tank of a camera - you could break down a door with it.

It is in exceptional condition and it takes great pictures. The automatic light meter still works as well - very neat. The rangefinder was rather difficult to adapt to at first, and it is a royal pain to load the film though...

The pictures that come out look as if they were indeed taken back in the '50s...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters