Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you use a vintage camera?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
For fun or for serious artistic pursuits?
I love film photography, and I always will. :)
It's just the good old fashioned hands on, do it yourself kind of quality that using a vintage camera has, so I have used them for the sheer fun of it. :)
I have used a Kodak twin lens reflex from the 40's and loved the pictures that it took. I recently bought a Kodak Brownie, first generation without the flash contacts, and I can't wait to take a few pics with it. Just need to find some film for it.
Do you use a vintage camera?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I'm trying my hand with one that I recently bought from an older friend of mine. He purchased it in Sendai,Japan in 1951 when he was in the Army. It's a Konica and is a really nice camera. It has a leather case with carrying strap and is stamped on the bottom with the words: Made in Occupied Japan. He didn't have the manual for it so I'm learning it by trial and error-mostly error-,but I hope to have some pictures soon.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
35 millimeter?

Sounds like it is. Probably a range finder 35, like the Kodak Retina and many others from this era. Don't worry, they're really easy to use and the pictures will be great. As a basic rule of thumb, just follow the guidelines for exposure of the film as written in the brochure that comes with the film. You can't go wrong.
Happy picture taking. :)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it's a 35 mm rangefinder. After my initial mis-loading and subsequent ruining of the first roll I started to get the hang of it. Once I get the second roll developed I'll post a few pics. I also have a Brownie box camera although I haven't tried it yet. I've read that you can take a modern roll film and roll it onto a spool that will work with the old brownies.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Right.

You'll get the hang of the 35 in no time. Don't know exactly if 35 mm film can be adapted for use in a Brownie.
Would be nice.
The Kodak Brownie takes 127 roll film, if I'm not mistaken. Kodak stopped making it a while ago, but it can still be had online.
Get it while you can.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Orbit 4x5 View Camera

Yeh, the kind where you pull a dark drape over your head to focus and view the image upside down and backwards! I've used it for years, but it's time to go digital. Wanna buy it?

I know - I'll post it in classifieds with all the details!

-dixon cannon

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I still have the first camera I ever owned -- my grandmother's No. 2 Brownie, which she got when she was in high school in the mid-twenties. It uses 120 roll film, has a fixed-focus lens, and is basically just a leatherette-covered metal box with a hole punched on the front. But it was good enough to help me earn my Photography proficiency badge in Girl Scouts!

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
I have an AE-1 Program and just recently won this. I am looking forward to getting the Argus in and using it. Too bad I did not have it on my honeymoon in NYC last week.

I took a photography class several years ago and used my father's AE-1 during that and still enjoy using mine. In Germany several years ago I took a few rolls of B/W film with my AE-1 and some of the better photographs grace my walls.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Apart from when my kids hand me one of their 35mm point&shoots, or my dad hands me his digital, I ONLY use vintage cameras!

The newest camera I regularly use is my Olympus OM-2 SLR from the mid-70s. But the cameras I use the most are my pair of Minox subminiatures: a 1956-vintage model IIIS for b/w film (mostly T-Max 100), and a 1963-vintage model B for color film (mostly Fuji Reala 100). These "spycameras" produce simply amazing results from their tiny, pinky-nail-sized negatives: pictures with a totally unique look.

Of course, when I feel like it, I can also borrow anything I want from my retired-pro photographer parents. They have: Nikon F2 35mm SLRs from the early 70s, Yashica (LM, late-50s TLR) and Mamiya (RB-67, early-70s SLR) medium-format (120 rollfilm) cameras, and 40s-vintage Graphic 4x5 sheet film cameras (a Crown Graphic press camera and Graphic View II view camera)... And I won't even list all the various SLRs, TLRs, rollfilm snapshooters, folding Polaroids, etc., that they have accumulated from friends cleaning out their basements over the years!

And yes, I still do b/w darkroom work, also on vintage equipment (primarily an early-50s Omega D-3 4x5 enlarger)! I intend to keep doing it as long as there's film, paper, and chemistry available...

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
I have a Leica IIIf with 50/F3.5 lens. However, the shutter is sticky and I haven't gotten around to getting it repaired. I also have a Nikon F with Ftn prism, a Zeiss Ikoflex TLR and my dad's old Argus C3. My regular cameras are Nikon's, a mixed bag of FM, FE and FE2 which are getting pretty vintage themselves these days! I'm slowly moving into shooting all black and white, which I find more interesting than color and also distinctly different from run of the mill snapshots. Finally, I'm seriously considering getting a new Voigtlander rangefinder and a couple of lenses.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Black and White

Is way cool. I love the charm of old B and W photos taken with cheap cameras like Brownies and Beacons. But of course the higher tech large format stuff is simply stunning.
Good film seems hard to come by. Tri-x pan or whatever that Kodak stuff is that I always end up with just doesn't get it.:(
I really want to try some black and white infrared film. Pictures taken with that are peerless.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
1954 16mm Bolex, baby.

1018671645_l.jpg

and a pristine 1970's 8mm Bolex and 16mm Krasnogorsk-3. They're not terribly vintage, but old enough.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I used a Kodak Duaflex II for my senior project in my high school photography class. I loved medium format but couldn't afford a nice medium format camera at the time, so I got a vintage one for $5. It was great because I had very little control over how the final image looked as there were no manual settings whatsoever, just point and shoot. Somehow a lens popped out and I think its kaput now.

I still use a Polaroid SX-70 (its from the 1970's) for my polaroid work though. It's incredible! It was very expensive though, as is the film. It's worth it though.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Sefton said:
Oh,sorry I wasn't clear there. I meant 127 roll film. I think that it has to be rolled onto a different spool I think. I didn't know that anyone was selling the original stuff. Thanks for the info!

Its probably a 620 filmspool. The spool is a bit smaller than the 120, but the film is the same. So w/ a little finesse, somephotographers re-roll them in the darkroom. But you can find some places that sell it still.

35mm

My regular camera is frozen and needs to be cleaned & lubed. I got it at Macy's in the Sunrise Mall in Massapequa in 1976-7. It a Minolta SRT-SCII which is similar to SRT-101 but without the self timer. It's match needle and does have a 1000th of a second shutter speed. Brass body and built like a tank. I have done some good work with it. I used Ilford B&W in it several times to get some real mood shots.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
My regular camera is frozen and needs to be cleaned & lubed. I got it at Macy's in the Sunrise Mall in Massapequa in 1976-7. It a Minolta SRT-SCII which is similar to SRT-101 but without the self timer. It's match needle and does have a 1000th of a second shutter speed. Brass body and built like a tank. I have done some good work with it. I used Ilford B&W in it several times to get some real mood shots.

the srt-101 is one of my first cameras. Actually my dad's camera.
Quite a sturdy camera. A real shame Minolta bit the dust.

I too use one of those little argus cameras. Incidentally, when looking for one, try to get one thats still got its leather case.

Most of my vintage fun is w/ a 1938 leica IIIB w/ a trigger wind. Tho I have plenty of other gear.
-bern

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Rolleiflex 3.5f and an old Hasselblad 500cm. I also have leica IIIc and a Contax IIb and a Rollei 35s. Got both rolleis at thrift stores. The rolleiflex is the nicest camera and the most fun to shoot. With the hasselblad I feel like I am always looking for someplace to put the back down or the darkslide. I have had a thousand shutter problems with the two rangefinders, but they are fun. And the Rollei 35s is great; everybody should have one.

For all that, I shoot a hundred times more digital than film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran