Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear CWU-45/P, 36/P, MA-1, M-65 ?

alec0226

New in Town
Do you wear jackets like CWU-45/P, CWU-36/P, MA-1, M-65?
A-2 is my favorite, but I also wear CWU-45/P and MA-1 a lot.

529457_231889620300638_1812321284_n.jpg

577349_231889666967300_20368100_n.jpg

1175071_231889706967296_1012913632_n.jpg

1238745_231889723633961_726723759_n.jpg

923407_231890026967264_1224071600_n.jpg

553657_231890040300596_297234974_n.jpg

1229902_231890030300597_1539969179_n.jpg

1231467_231890116967255_1719265577_n.jpg

1240226_231890093633924_583013473_n.jpg

legality

New in Town
I like Alpha Industries CWU-45 and MA1 jackets - though sometimes when new they are a bit 'shiny'. I've just bought the MA1 VF59 which is a fitted version of the MA1 and looks great with jeans etc.

Edward

Bartender
My interest in clothing broadly ends in and around 1957, though eventually I will want to put together a repro of Travis Bickle's M65. The last of the flight jackets that interests me is the first issue MA1, with the green lining. I don't have one of those yet, but if the right deal turned up on a used Buzz, I would. I suppose the nearest I currently have to an MA1 is a Buzz Rickson B15-C MOD, which really is an MA1 in effect. I do like that in Winter - the knit collar can be better than the fluffly one on my regular B15-C when it rains.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I like wearing the M-65 and M-1943 field jackets because they are so practical/utilitarian. On top of that, if you wear one that fits properly, it looks great.

- Ian

alec0226

New in Town
My interest in clothing broadly ends in and around 1957, though eventually I will want to put together a repro of Travis Bickle's M65. The last of the flight jackets that interests me is the first issue MA1, with the green lining. I don't have one of those yet, but if the right deal turned up on a used Buzz, I would. I suppose the nearest I currently have to an MA1 is a Buzz Rickson B15-C MOD, which really is an MA1 in effect. I do like that in Winter - the knit collar can be better than the fluffly one on my regular B15-C when it rains.

The MA1 I have is a Alpha Vintage Series, it has a green lining, it's probly made in 1990's. I think it's a lot better than the commercial version Alpha MA1 made in China. Buzz MA1 is a good choice, I just can't afford it:D

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I love M-43, and I have a repro, wish I could find an original someday.

Originals are all over ebay. You can find them in unused/mint condition, even. M-43 jackets in great condition are easy to find. If you do get an original, get, at least, a size smaller than you would typically wear (unless you plan to wear a liner and sweater underneath it). The basis of the M-1943 is a layering system with the M-1943 field jacket being the outer layer. Therefore, they are very roomy or oversized.

For example, I normally wear a 38 regular in a suit jacket and "regular" jacket, excluding vintage denim jackets (size up). When it comes to an original M-43 field jacket, I wear a size 34 regular. Previously, I owned a 36 regular M-43 and that worked fine, but I wanted to go to a slightly trimmer fit. So, I went with an unissued/mint 34 regular.

By the way, when I owned the 36 regular jacket, I also owned an original M-1943 liner. That 36 regular fit over that liner just fine. I had plenty of room to move. With the 34 regular, I would not have room for an M-1943 liner, but I do have plenty of room for a shirt and sweater.

- Ian

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I wore an M-65 everyday when I was in the regulars. Wore it a lot when back in college. Still have my Guvmint Issue, but they don't fit no more (sob). Bought a civilian replica but I can't love it like the real deal. I'd love a B-10 but no-one makes a quality one in my size 52 regular so... I goes without!

Worf

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep, they are all great jackets. Love my M-65. Haven't worn my MA-1 for over a year. The CWU jackets, however have terrible looking pockets, IMO. It immeasurably helps with jackets like these if you are small and thin.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the Alpha Vintage series even though they are not the most accurate. I have a green MA1, green B15 & blue B15. My holy grail would be to score an MA1 in the blue & an L2b (in XL) in either blue or green. :cool:

Edward

Bartender
The MA1 I have is a Alpha Vintage Series, it has a green lining, it's probly made in 1990's. I think it's a lot better than the commercial version Alpha MA1 made in China. Buzz MA1 is a good choice, I just can't afford it:D

I know what you mean! I couldn't justify most of Buzz's new prices either... my B15-C Mod was a lucky find on eBay - used, but mint. The B15-C was another eBay find, but it's an Alpha Replica Series.

I wore an M-65 everyday when I was in the regulars. Wore it a lot when back in college. Still have my Guvmint Issue, but they don't fit no more (sob). Bought a civilian replica but I can't love it like the real deal. I'd love a B-10 but no-one makes a quality one in my size 52 regular so... I goes without!

Worf

Have you tried Aero re the B10? I know they aren't considered the most accurate of the repros, but if you're only wearing it as a civilian jacket anyhow... They usually seem to cover the bigger sizes.

I love the Alpha Vintage series even though they are not the most accurate. I have a green MA1, green B15 & blue B15. My holy grail would be to score an MA1 in the blue & an L2b (in XL) in either blue or green. :cool:

I've got a Replica Series B15-C, and a Vintage Series L2A (the blue one). The Vintage series isn't bad, though the shade of blue is too light (I think it's meant to simulate an original what has faded over time?). The Former, from the more accurate Replica Series, is, I'd say, about 80% the jacket my Buzz Rickson is. The Alpha cost me half, all in, what the Buzz did. I do wish Alpha would bring back that Replica Series line, as I'd love to buy a B15D, and L2A and L2B in that series. Buzz are the best I've seen of the nylons, but I don't think I could justify spending Buzz money on the L2s especially. The Alpha jackets look good, even if they're not perfect, and they are extremely good vfm as garments (important to me - I don't buy anything to collect, it has to be wearable). I suppose we need a big hit Korean war film to popularise these the way Hollywood did the A2...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yeah Ed I looked at Aero's B-10, they ONLY go up to a size 50 and I'm a 52. I suppose I could ask Holly again BUT I don't want to be a nudge...

Worf

alec0226

New in Town
Thanks Ian, what's your height and chest measurement? My height is 175cm, chest 90cm, shoulder 45cm, do you think the original M43 size 34R without liner is a good fit for me?

alec0226

New in Town
I've got a Replica Series B15-C, and a Vintage Series L2A (the blue one). The Vintage series isn't bad, though the shade of blue is too light (I think it's meant to simulate an original what has faded over time?). The Former, from the more accurate Replica Series, is, I'd say, about 80% the jacket my Buzz Rickson is. The Alpha cost me half, all in, what the Buzz did. I do wish Alpha would bring back that Replica Series line, as I'd love to buy a B15D, and L2A and L2B in that series. Buzz are the best I've seen of the nylons, but I don't think I could justify spending Buzz money on the L2s especially. The Alpha jackets look good, even if they're not perfect, and they are extremely good vfm as garments (important to me - I don't buy anything to collect, it has to be wearable). I suppose we need a big hit Korean war film to popularise these the way Hollywood did the A2...
I'd never seen a pic of Alpha Replica series, what's the difference between the Replica and the Vintage series? In what way the Replica series are more accurate?

Last edited:
I bought my first M-65 field jacket at a swap meet in the late 70s, complete with a patched hole and what appeared to be the remnants of a sizable blood stain on the outer surface of the right sleeve just below the elbow. I've since purchased two more, one black and one olive drab, and I might soon be purchasing another one in khaki. They're durable (at least those manufactured in conformance with the Mil-Spec), comfortable, warm and dry enough for our comparatively mild southern California winters, and are more than roomy enough to wear a sweater or sweatshirt beneath them if need be. I have a liner for each, but for me the liners are far too warm unless the temperature drops below 40°F (which rarely happens here).

Plumbline

One Too Many
Got 3 M-65's ... an original 1960's one and 2 Alpha repro's one black one green and all with liners ( all of which are GREAT ). The Green alpha one did show some piling early on but that was easilly remidied and hasn't re-occured or been mirrored on the black one. They are great dog walking jackets and the Alpha's are certainly a more "shower resistant" than the original ... although it has oodles of character and a real worn look.

I'm not a big fan of elastic cuffs or waist .. so have never had any of these.

Would recommend an M-65 to anyone ... GREAT cheap utility jackets.

Last edited:

andyfalzon

Vendor
The M-65 is great indeed. One of the things that I like about it is that it looks more casual and less military than the CWU-45/P, CWU-36/P, MA-1.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I wear my CWU-36/p quite often. It just looks way better than old style MA-1/L-2B jackets with low rise jeans these days. But I've notice a price hike of the older MA-1 and L-2A/B jackets on the famous auction site. A few years ago, MA-1 and L2-B from late 60s' to early 70s' cost only around USD50-70, but now, you are looking at Buzz Rickson / McCoy's prices. I got two mint L-2B from early 70s' a few years back, one with patches and one plain, for less than USD70, I would think similar jackets would go for over $200 these days. That was also why I started going for CWU jackets as they are still relative cheap and in constant supply. As for the M-65, I am not really a fan of it, although like many of you had said, it is quite practical, especially with those pockets. But then I have several of the British counterpart, the SAS smocks. They are made with cotton clothes, lightweight and thin, suitable for the autumn weather.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah Ed I looked at Aero's B-10, they ONLY go up to a size 50 and I'm a 52. I suppose I could ask Holly again BUT I don't want to be a nudge...

Worf

Ah! I thought maybe they went up just a little higher. Bummer. (I wish they'd bring back their B15. Could have had one for a little over GBP100 a few years ago when they last did them, but at the time it was the B10 I fancied. Regret that now!)

I'd never seen a pic of Alpha Replica series, what's the difference between the Replica and the Vintage series? In what way the Replica series are more accurate?

The inside, back of the neck label on the Replica Series is a repro of an actual label (at least a very good fake - I can't confirm whether the contract numbers are real). The colour of the Replica Series jacket is more correct (Vintage B15C is a lighter blue, Replica B15C is the "correct" navy shade). The zips on the Replica Series are, from memory actually branded Scovill; they don't have any of the Alpha branding moulded onto them as is the case on the Vintage Series jackets I've seen. I think I also read somewhere that the insulation inside the Vintage Series jackets is all polyester rather than a wool cotton mix with a small quantity of polyester, but I don't know for certain. Otherwise, they're the same (I don't believe the patterns are significantly different in any way). In use, the only really obvious difference is the colour.

I wear my CWU-36/p quite often. It just looks way better than old style MA-1/L-2B jackets with low rise jeans these days. But I've notice a price hike of the older MA-1 and L-2A/B jackets on the famous auction site. A few years ago, MA-1 and L2-B from late 60s' to early 70s' cost only around USD50-70, but now, you are looking at Buzz Rickson / McCoy's prices. I got two mint L-2B from early 70s' a few years back, one with patches and one plain, for less than USD70, I would think similar jackets would go for over $200 these days.

I suspect that awareness of repros like the Buzz Ricksons and how much they cost has helped to push up the price of originals, on the basis of "well, if that's how much a copy costs...". I should also imagine that we're slowly seeing fewer originals changing hands as often.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Thanks Ian, what's your height and chest measurement? My height is 175cm, chest 90cm, shoulder 45cm, do you think the original M43 size 34R without liner is a good fit for me?

Based on the measurements provided, a 34R (without wearing a liner) should work just fine for you in the M-43. My chest size is larger than yours and the 34R is fine for me. I'm just slightly shorter than yourself.

I don't see any good examples in a size 34R on ebay, right now. But, they should show up soon. Look, at least, once a week and you'll find one in great condition.

- Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner