Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear CWU-45/P, 36/P, MA-1, M-65 ?

alec0226

New in Town
Based on the measurements provided, a 34R (without wearing a liner) should work just fine for you in the M-43. My chest size is larger than yours and the 34R is fine for me. I'm just slightly shorter than yourself.

I don't see any good examples in a size 34R on ebay, right now. But, they should show up soon. Look, at least, once a week and you'll find one in great condition.

- Ian

Thanks Ian.
I have been watching for M-43 34R or 36R on Ebay for months, never find one in excellent condition. Anyway, I'll keep watching.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I own and wear all three kinds of jackets referenced in the OP's question.

I have several M-65s, but my favorite field jacket is the M-51. I think I prefer the '51 to the '65 because I wore a surplus M-51 when I was in high school. The M-65 was a relatively new jacket in those days and was much more difficult for civilian kids to obtain. I remember after the Kent State massacre, I sewed a big “Student Target” patch on the jacket’s back and stuck all kinds of counter culture buttons on the front. Then, strangely, my old M-51 disappeared during the summer before my senior year. My mother is now eighty-six and still denies involvement.

I have always preferred the MA-1 to any other military flight jacket. Except for its tendency to melt in cockpit fires, the MA-1 is the most practical, comfortable flight jacket ever designed. And it looks cool with jeans or khakis. At last count, I had fourteen originals in my collection ranging in date from 1959 to 1973.

I have several CWU jackets. In fact, I just recently bought one of the desert tan ones. I like them and wear them, but I much prefer wearing a vintage MA-1.

Still one of my favorite jackets, this 1961 Skyline MA-1.

AF

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love the Skyline Atticus :). Just scored what appears to be an Alpha Replica Series MA1 (not familiar with these) in XL from the bay. Green lining as well as shell (but not Vintage Series), early MA1 look, retro looking label (B15D changed to MA-1 etc) & described as being quite heavy. Have to wait until next week to be sure. Hope it fits :cool:

alec0226

New in Town
Love the Skyline Atticus :). Just scored what appears to be an Alpha Replica Series MA1 (not familiar with these) in XL from the bay. Green lining as well as shell (but not Vintage Series), early MA1 look, retro looking label (B15D changed to MA-1 etc) & described as being quite heavy. Have to wait until next week to be sure. Hope it fits :cool:
You are so lucky! Could you post some pics? I have been watching for Alpha Replica Series MA-1 for months on ebay,never find one.

alec0226

New in Town
I own and wear all three kinds of jackets referenced in the OP's question.

I have several M-65s, but my favorite field jacket is the M-51. I think I prefer the '51 to the '65 because I wore a surplus M-51 when I was in high school. The M-65 was a relatively new jacket in those days and was much more difficult for civilian kids to obtain. I remember after the Kent State massacre, I sewed a big “Student Target” patch on the jacket’s back and stuck all kinds of counter culture buttons on the front. Then, strangely, my old M-51 disappeared during the summer before my senior year. My mother is now eighty-six and still denies involvement.

I have always preferred the MA-1 to any other military flight jacket. Except for its tendency to melt in cockpit fires, the MA-1 is the most practical, comfortable flight jacket ever designed. And it looks cool with jeans or khakis. At last count, I had fourteen originals in my collection ranging in date from 1959 to 1973.

I have several CWU jackets. In fact, I just recently bought one of the desert tan ones. I like them and wear them, but I much prefer wearing a vintage MA-1.

Still one of my favorite jackets, this 1961 Skyline MA-1.

AF

Fourteen originals, what a collection! I have been dreaming of getting an original MA-1 in size S.
Wish to see more pics of your collection:D

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Fourteen originals, what a collection! I have been dreaming of getting an original MA-1 in size S.
Wish to see more pics of your collection:D

This photo is about six years old, but its the only one I have. I've added many jackets since then and my collection finally outgrew my little utility room. Most of it is now in air tight storage tubs in a commercial storage room. I really need to sell some stuff, but I think nylon jacket prices are still a bit depressed. Still great for buying but not yet right for selling!

I certainly understand what you are saying about the availability of vintage nylon flight jackets. Not many years ago eBay was full of vintage, original MA-1s, L2-Bs and early N jackets. But those days seem to be gone. Now most of what's on eBay is low quality reproduction sprinkled with a very few beaten-up originals.

wisconsin.jpg

AF

bn1966

Hi Alec, sure as soon as it arrives I'll look to post some pics. :)

devilish

A-List Customer
I have a couple Buzz Rickson B-15C Modified. 1 in olive with the slightly mis-matching neck knit and the blue one with the olive knits. Got the blue one for about 1/3 the retail price and the green one when the yen was at a super low level. I love them, the quality is absolutely top notch. I also have an 80's U.S. made M-65 and a nearly mint M-43 which I found in an antique shop in Folsom for $40. Finally, as a change up, I just bought a deadstock, U.S. made Alpha MA-1 in silver for more of a streetwear look.
I'm a big fan of the B-15/MA-1 type jacket and will one day, I hope, track down a minty 'pre-orange liner' original maker and then my collection will be complete.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
This photo is about six years old, but its the only one I have. I've added many jackets since then and my collection finally outgrew my little utility room. Most of it is now in air tight storage tubs in a commercial storage room. I really need to sell some stuff, but I think nylon jacket prices are still a bit depressed. Still great for buying but not yet right for selling!

I certainly understand what you are saying about the availability of vintage nylon flight jackets. Not many years ago eBay was full of vintage, original MA-1s, L2-Bs and early N jackets. But those days seem to be gone. Now most of what's on eBay is low quality reproduction sprinkled with a very few beaten-up originals.

wisconsin.jpg

AF

I can never make up my mind as to whether the collection in this picture is admirable or excessive. I've decided to think the latter, but also resolved to use the photo as defence against accusations from my other half that I have too many jackets. :D

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I can never make up my mind as to whether the collection in this picture is admirable or excessive. I've decided to think the latter, but also resolved to use the photo as defence against accusations from my other half that I have too many jackets. :D

Door number two...it is excessive. I am sure of that because the collection is now easily twice that size.

AF

bn1966

Replica Alpha 50's MA1 arrived today, very heavy (wool & cotton batting)...photos coming soon.....bit of ink (Biro) in pocket & cuffs cream-cracker-ed (wool) Have ordered new cuffs (from USA), know someone that will sort cuffs...result!!!! :)

alec0226

New in Town

I showed this pic to my wife,too.:D

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Keep collecting AF..I will buy stock in coathanger mfg....great collection...
in regards to the OP.. I love em all...but the early MA1s and 45Ps are my favorite to wear. The M65 is cool also..for some reason I always snap the front even if only zipped halfway...something about the flap just needs to be secure...

Last edited:

alec0226

New in Town
Based on the measurements provided, a 34R (without wearing a liner) should work just fine for you in the M-43. My chest size is larger than yours and the 34R is fine for me. I'm just slightly shorter than yourself.

I don't see any good examples in a size 34R on ebay, right now. But, they should show up soon. Look, at least, once a week and you'll find one in great condition.

- Ian

Thank you so much, Ian, I finally got my 34R last weekend,great condition and a pretty nice price. The jacket dated 1944, has some stains on the lining, but the outter shell is perfect.

1392032_244617462361187_1810455449_n.jpg

1452313_244617289027871_889891116_n.jpg

bn1966

Have just scored an early USMC issued CWU 36-P, Propper International Contract in fantastic condition. OK for day wear at present though having to revert to my heavy Alpha MA1 (replica series) during the colder evenings. Also, an Italian air-force L2B has found it's way into my collection in the last few of weeks.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Thank you so much, Ian, I finally got my 34R last weekend,great condition and a pretty nice price. The jacket dated 1944, has some stains on the lining, but the outter shell is perfect.

1392032_244617462361187_1810455449_n.jpg

1452313_244617289027871_889891116_n.jpg

Alec,

You're welcome! It looks fantastic and the fit is perfect.

- Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner