Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear hats because you're balding?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it was a major factor in my interest, prior to appreciation of specific headwear.
Pastor2AAA.jpg

dean

Miss Brill

One Too Many
deanglen said:
I think it was a major factor in my interest, prior to appreciation of specific headwear.
Pastor2AAA.jpg

dean

Do you (always) take it off indoors? I know 2 nattily dressed older men who wear a hat 24/7. I think it kills the smartness of their look, which is very tweedy & vintage, except it is a style that never changed as they aged, rather than a style they adopted.

deanglen

Miss Brill said:
Do you (always) take it off indoors? I know 2 nattily dressed older men who wear a hat 24/7. I think it kills the smartness of their look, which is very tweedy & vintage, except it is a style that never changed as they aged, rather than a style they adopted.

Generally, I do take it off indoors, maybe when I'm at a fast food restaurant I'll keep it on, but indoors, most hats become a bit warm, especially felt. On the other hand, I'll wear them in house simply for recreational wearing, just to enjoy the hat. I suppose that's obsessive/compulsive but I know I'm not the only one who does in the Lounge.:)

dean

wenestvedt

New in Town
Solely because I'm balding? Well...my thinning hair certainly accentuated the cancer danger that I played up when I told my wfe about it before I bought my new hat. Is that cynical? :7)

- Will

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Yes, I do...but not just because I'm bald(ing). Mostly because they look good, are appropriate to wear with business attire and save me from the effects of the sun. ;)

MattJH

One Too Many
Hats can cause split ends and, in cases, the breakage of hair, but they do not cause baldness. Common myth.

AlanC

Johnnysan said:
Yes, I do...but not just because I'm bald(ing). Mostly because they look good, are appropriate to wear with business attire and save me from the effects of the sun. ;)

Ditto. A dermatologist friend--who is very bald--recommended strongly that I wear hats. I've always been interested, but it took me awhile to educate myself about proper hats. Fedora Lounge is largely responsible for that.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
Partly, but not because I'm self-conscious or vain about my balding pate. I don't wear a hat indoors. It's a matter of protection from the elements. The less hair I have on the top of my head, the colder my head gets in cold weather and the more prone it is to be sunburned in nice weather. I also don't want to get skin cancer on the top of my head where I'm not even going to see it.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Nope.

I started wearing hats and caps (besides baseball caps) back in my early 20s. Of course, I always had to wear headgear while in uniform, either the garrison cap with blues or a baseball cap with fatigues. Yup, most USAF units had squadron baseball caps to wear as part of the uniform. It wasn't until I found the Lounge that I got serious about hats, though!

Of course, these days my hair has thinned out a bit and there is a bit of a bald spot, but I wear hats because I think they look good and that I look good when I'm wearing them. I also enjoy the practical benefits as well.

Cheers,
Tom

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well...

Even at 40, Old Hemingway has a full head a' hair.

Here I am in Freeport, Maine this past Saturday.

I wear hats because I like them.

The gray is creeping in and I'm not going to do anything about it. ;)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I can't remember ever NOT wearing a hat. I grew up with a golf course my home ( I only slept elsewhere) and a hat was common. Then I worked outdoors all my career so it was natural. At 57 it's still there, both hat and hair

Doh!

One Too Many
Nope -- I'm pretty hairy on top (much to the chagrin of my brother and father, who are somewhat... less).

I don't like baking in the summer or freezing in the winter, hence my hats.

And in the spring and fall, they just look damned cool!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am not balding - I AM BALD. :p

But that's not the reason why I - sometimes - wear a hat. That's because of the sun.
And then again: It's in order to protect my bald head against the UV factor...So yes, I am wearing hat because I am bald. Sometimes...:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21