Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do your best/worst!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Best: Stunned silence - at least I think that was a good response :rolleyes:

Worst: Choose between. Being chatted up by two guys in a bar - "Why can't you dress like your friend here. She looks nice". Cue scene of two guys kicked through the saloon doors into the dust!

Or (caught on the wind from a passing gent) - So that's what passes for style these days.

Like I care - it's what's inside that counts ;) :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
No kidding! I had not heard of her, but a bit of web research quickly showed me just what a great compliment that is!

I think to most people here who haven't come across that many retro-styled people apart from her (Dita was recently on a very popular national TV show) just the fact that I had black waved and rolled hair, red lipstick and vintagesque clothes meant I "looked like her"! But I'm not complaining!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Strider said:
I think saying you look like a famous person is a very nice compliment, indeed. :D
Unless you're told you look like Donald Trump, Martin Short, Dudley Moore, Jason Alexander, Monica Lewinsky, Hilary Clinton, to name a few.

Strider

One of the Regulars
Heh. I see your point.

However, I thought Monica Lewinsky was kinda pretty. [huh]

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Well, maybe before her weight gain but what she and Bill did in the oval office (and to the institution of marriage) just zaps her beauty away in my opinion.

Hiram

New in Town
I wouldn't let it bother you, always remember: no matter how hot she is, somebody somewhere is tired of putting up with her crap. < -- joke

Naama

Practically Family
Best comment.... that's hard :p I guess it was when at a concert a women walked up to me and said "Do you know, that your make up is ver 20's?" - I have to add, she was a makeup artist!

Worst: well, I don't know if it's really thaaaaaaaaaaat bad, but some "funny" guy came to me like "Are you Gwen Stefani? *hahaha*"
Or, when I get the Marilyn comparison when I'm all 20's..... Or maybe, one girl once asked me if I'm Psychobilly!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
But I blame the lack of peoples knowledge for that!

Naama

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Best: (from an old lady born in 1920) "Don't ever change!"
(from and old man aged 88 after having a conversation with him about 30s singers) "I hope to see you in here again!"
(a former co-worker aged 26) "Your style is old. It shows you like the old days."
(random people, usually cashiers in shops) "You look like a blast from the past!"

Worst: Any of the "Are you goth?" "Do you worship Marilyn Manson?" comments. Nothing against it, but I'm FAR from goth. "I bet you listen to Korn!" is another funny/insulting comment!! Also, a former co-worker whose idea of beauty was FHM magazine once told me "You're getting old before your time. You need to hang out with me and I'll get you out of that stuff!" Haha! Actually, coming from him it was a rather nice compliment!

Elaina

One Too Many
Best: (from a teenaged boy, when I was much thinner who was sacking my groceries, then promptly ran away) "Wow, you look like the chick I used to stare at on my Grandpas wall when I went through puberty!"

Worst: From my dad who notoriously didn't like his mother "You look like my mom" and from my son "I guess you look ok, if you weren't hard like an armidillo."

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
I don't dress vintage, just dress as nicely as possible.

Best (ever): You are MY Pin Up Girl. From my man, bless his heart.
Worst: "You would be killer if you worked out". From my EX husband.

And at my fathers funeral, from a distant cousin: "You are a class act honey".

Folly

One of the Regulars
Best -

From an elderly gentleman: "I remember you - from 1940!"
From a charmer at a dance: "I looked up, and there was an angel."
From a group of older men at a forties event: "You look absolutely lovely!" which was followed by "Now come and sit on my knee" from another man .. I'm hoping that it wasn't Churchill (who was sat with them) ;) lol

Worst -

From a teenager in a tracksuit, in the foyer of the cinema, prior to Phantom of The Opera - "Does she think she's in the film?" :confused:

I usually get laughs though and once a group of men in a pub (also prior to the above film, called me a dog and a weirdo :(

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Not too good...

The best comment my wife has given me....." It's not that bad "...

The worst from my daughter...." OMG, you're not going out with that hat on are you ? LOL

s7eng

New in Town
Tommy Fedora said:
The best comment my wife has given me....." It's not that bad "...

The worst from my daughter...." OMG, you're not going out with that hat on are you ? LOL

TOO funny. I get the same reaction from my wife and daughter. My 15 year old refuses to be seen with me in public with my fedora on. My wife says it is embarasing when I wear my hat (which is most of the time).

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Best:
-told I look like Jean Harlow lol
-"You look like you stepped out of a silent movie!"

Worst:
I get the "grandma closet raiding" quite a bit, even from my own grandma :eek: :( --although with her she just says I dress too old. My family is entirely too modern. *sigh* They just don't understand. [huh] :mad:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When you're 6' - 6" and 350 lbs NOBODY makes fun of how you dress, well, at least not to my face and then, if they did, they'd only do it one time. ;)

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Worst - After a longtime being the "little goth girl" and wearing some truly horrendous outfits (and I loved, still do, every single one of them!) I now honestly don't hear the criticisms. I have very selective hearing lol

Best - Walking through a crowded pub to get to my friend in the DJ booth, to be greeted with..
"DUDE!! Everyone in the pub just stopped what they were doing to watch you walk past!!"

Elaina

One Too Many
Now my mom, much as she makes fun of me, has always fed into it. Today she called and said "I got a pack of pattern books coming your way."
I: "Uh ok"
Mom: "Well, they're from different eras, schoolbooks and stuff from the...let me see...one has a woman with a bustle, one has a woman with a big hat and a pigeon rack and the other has some buildings and martinis and strange borders."
I: "Did you look at the dates inside?"
Mom: "Well, no, let me check."
10 minute pause.
Mom: "(sounding really dissapointed) Oh they're all really old, probably right up your alley. Says 1884, 1904 and 1922 (heaves a huge sigh). I wish you'd at least dress in something more modern, like the 60's. I have a ton of patterns you could have then"
i: "I'm still forever going to make fun of you for the hip hugging bell bottoms with butterfly decals."

Of course my mom also got this old zinger off before the end "You do know you're 30? And it's 2007? I miss your hippie days."

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Benny Holiday said:
that Dita von Teese is married to Marilyn Manson? Yeech!!!

She filed for divorce. Last I heard, he was hiding so that he wouldn't get the papers. I don't know how true that is, or how I come to hear or read these things.

Best: (man in french accent) Excuse me. You are beautiful. You're gorgeous.
(and he just walked away!)

Worst: You look so... out of place.

People think I am prissy. I'm not prissy, just careful sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo