Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doc Martens v Solovair

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Edward, I need a new pair of boots and like 'Air-wear' soles.....might consider re-newing my acquaintance with DM's. Don't want to look like a middle aged Bovver boy though ;-D

Schwa

New in Town
I got started on DM's back in the 90's. I was working for a financial firm that had suits expected for daily wear. The doc's were a good alternative after I lost a couple pairs of Florshiems to the winter commute. After a while I noticed the DM's worked in the office.

I wore the DM's happily through the 90's and then noticed they weren't quite as nice. Then I learned they had shipped production offshore. I gave up on them for a time, and then ordered a MIE pair. I have nothing against Chinese products, but do like my MIE DM's better - they are like the ones I wore back in the day.

This thread prompted me to order a pair of 8 hole MIE boots, I hope they're as good as the oxfords I have.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I got started on DM's back in the 90's. I was working for a financial firm that had suits expected for daily wear. The doc's were a good alternative after I lost a couple pairs of Florshiems to the winter commute. After a while I noticed the DM's worked in the office.

I wore the DM's happily through the 90's and then noticed they weren't quite as nice. Then I learned they had shipped production offshore. I gave up on them for a time, and then ordered a MIE pair. I have nothing against Chinese products, but do like my MIE DM's better - they are like the ones I wore back in the day.

This thread prompted me to order a pair of 8 hole MIE boots, I hope they're as good as the oxfords I have.

Congrats. I think you'll like them a lot. Black or oxblood?

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
DM's just aren't the same quality anymore, certainly not the standard range, Solovair do look a better product, I 'd love to support DM but they've become a 'boutique' brand, it started to happen in the late 80' s when working class British clothing and culture started to become appropriated by the art college brigade as a badge of honour as it were against the excesses associated with the Thatcher government, almost like the Mahdi s followers who used to sew coloured patches on their clothing often when it didn't even need a patch so they appeared poor.
A large production increase was needed because of the interest from the middle classes so production was stepped up and quality suffered big style, I was given a pair a few years ago, the tongue wasn't leather the main body of the boot was much thinner leather than it used to be and the tread on the sole was very shallow meaning the soles needed replacing(new boots) quite quickly and treadless DM's are pretty dire in the winter, in fact as a 11 year old we used to save our knackered DM's for sliding about in the ice and snow.
William Lennon's are a far, far superior product in every way.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I agree but so do Lennon's, here's my pair cost around £130 at the time custom spec, had them 3 years worn them loads and they've recently even shrugged off a chainsaw attack.
in60k5.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
So I was told at the factory, around £30 plus postage but they are only a few miles from where I live....absolutely the best boots I've ever had and I've just about lived in boots all my life, nearest to them are the late 70's German para boots in quality and rugged construction.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
So I was told at the factory, around £30 plus postage but they are only a few miles from where I live....absolutely the best boots I've ever had and I've just about lived in boots all my life, nearest to them are the late 70's German para boots in quality and rugged construction.

Wow. Fabulous company. How would you figure they size compared to Docs? I take a UK 10 in Docs for my US 11.5 foot. Also, I noticed they use a rather unique welting process. Are they the only people who have the means to resole them?

http://loomstate.blogspot.com/2011/11/william-lennon-factory-stoney-middleton.html?m=1

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I couldn't say as its a few years since I bought DM' s, however I am a UK 8.5 to a 9 depending on shoe/boot and the 9 fits me perfectly......I think they're Goodyear welter and any decent shoe repaired should be able to resole them. Have a look at some of the threads on here about William Lennon there's a few, and if you check out my blog there's a write up on my pair as new and a year or so down the line.

wdw

One Too Many
If you're swithering between DM/Solovair and Lennon, there really is no comparison. As anyone who knows would say, Lennon are a big step up, for not much more money. I've had lots of DMs and only two Lennons, and would never go back. Lennon are solid with a capital S, and just don't have that cutting corner feel, and that includes the DM MIE Vintage line.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
With wdw on this completely. My Lennons have been amazing this winter: solid as a rock and the thick soles are great at keeping out the cold.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
And what I like best about Lennon is that they have a raw quality that shows they're made by real people and not machines or even sweat shop far Eastern labour.

The many custom options at minimal or no cost make them a no brainer as well. And if the resole is only £30, then that's almost laughable. Trickers quoted me £150 for theirs, although I do rate them higher than Lennon.

Edward

Bartender
£150 sounds about right on Trickers; you're looking at £300 plus for a pair of Trickers shoes right from the get go. Lennons are in and around the same price new as the 'for life' DM range. I'd definitely consider the Lennons superior of those two. Wouldn't even bother comparing the Lennons and the basic range DMS, it wouldn't be fair. Two completely and utterly different beasts altogether.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seriously thinking about ordering a pair of Lennons next pay cheque. Spoke to them today on the phone in relation to their field boots, looks like custom options are available too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred