Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Doctor Who," He's Back and it's About Time!

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Some of these comments almost make me glad I never saw a single moment of Doctor Who until stumbling across The Eleventh Hour a few weeks ago. Because I must say that Matt Smith's 11 is now "The Doctor" in our household and we think he's great.

Admittedly we've still not seen any of the classic Doctor Who episodes but we have watched most of the 9th Doctor's episodes and quite a few of the 10th Doctor's and they pale in comparison. Although of course Blink was awesome! I want a tee shirt that says "The Angels Have The Phone Box" on it.

I do agree that Amelia Pond was quite a match for our Doctor, companion wise. But I have a certain fondness for Amy, as well. As for "Angel Bob" he was worth it just to give Matt Smith a chance to say "Made you say 'comfy chair'...". So there. And also in that same two-parter [spoiler alert]...

...don't you think Octavian had the best death scene ever?

"I think, sir, you know me at my best.

That's got to be right up there with Boromir in the extended edition of LotR.

Edward

Bartender
Nathan Dodge said:
The fact that SPOILER ALERT Van Gogh dedicated Sunflowers to Amy is a bit silly. Why change established history? To provide a cheap, emotionally manipulative moment for the audience to give a character some "cred" she's unworthy of at this point?

I wasn't overly bothered by that, but I agree something much more subtle would have been preferable.

Yeps said:
Then again, my opinion might be influenced by the fact that she is gorgeous.

I think she will be when she grows up... early twenties is rather too young for me, nowadays, what with encroaching middle age...

LordBest said:
Spoilers:

I don't have an opinion about Churchill in this regard, but I thought this episode was one of the best of the new series. I absolutely loved the fact that the Daleks were left as a threat at the episode end instead of having their numbers reduced to next to none or being exterminated altogether. I'm still a few episodes behind, so I don't know how the season ends, so I am a little dissapointed that so far the new paradigm Daleks don't seem to be worrying the Doctor much. If they end up being annihilated in the finale I will be exceedingly miffed. Let the Doctor have the threat from his arch-enemy hanging over him.

certainly I agree that leaving them as a looming threat was a nice idea, though I'd prefer not to see them at all after that for several years. IMO, they have been rather overused in the rebooted series: time to give them a rest now.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Please excuse me for being a latecomer to this thread...

Just wanted to say, for the first time since Tom Baker/Peter Davidson (That will age me, if my username hasn't already) I am a Dr Who addict again. Loved the whole series, great fun!

Best bit is my two nippers (7 and 9) enjoy it even more than me, it's great to sit down together on a Sat evening together and get hooked together. And that's what's it's really about isn't it? They regularly watched this series behind cushions, just like I did over 30 years ago :eek:

Can't wait 'til Christmas now :cool:

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Brent Hutto said:
Some of these comments almost make me glad I never saw a single moment of Doctor Who until stumbling across The Eleventh Hour a few weeks ago. Because I must say that Matt Smith's 11 is now "The Doctor" in our household and we think he's great.

Admittedly we've still not seen any of the classic Doctor Who episodes but we have watched most of the 9th Doctor's episodes and quite a few of the 10th Doctor's and they pale in comparison.

Welcome to fandom!:)

At the risk of generalizing, I'd say that more often than not, the first actor you see playing the Doctor becomes "your" Doctor. This is especially the case if one is a chil when first exposed to the show, though it may as well apply to adults, too.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Well I have the mind of a child (and he's not getting it back any time soon) so that makes sense.

I was actually "captivated" as much by young Amelia Pond and her interactions with the 11th Doctor as by Matt Smith in that first episode. But he's grown on me as well.

One of these days I'm going to have Netflix send me the first-ever episode of the show. I suspect William Hartnell will be quite a shock to us, having only been exposed to the reboots!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I like Matt Smith, but I do have a fantasy that perhaps after next year he will die and regenerate back to David Tenant who by then realized that his lawyer pilot for American tv was not such a great idea, and has decided to return to the role. By then, the series is sagging and needs him desperately.

So, Matt Smith passes away shaking his fleshy face to reveal the sculptured features of Mr Tenant.
"What!?" he exclaims several times, looking at himself in the Tardis' mirror. "That's never happened before!" he exclaims.
"And I'm still not a ginger!"
And so the 12th Doctor is the 10th Doctor and everyone is very confused, but also very pleased. Amy Pond stays!

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Brent Hutto said:
One of these days I'm going to have Netflix send me the first-ever episode of the show. I suspect William Hartnell will be quite a shock to us, having only been exposed to the reboots!
OOOOOO! You really should! The original show is completely different, but still very interesting. It is one of my favorite Doctor Who eras.

Netflix has the disks listed in the wrong order, but here is what you do:

Go to Netflix and search "Doctor Who: The Beginning"

Order Disk 1 "The Daleks." and Disk 3 "An Unearthly Child."

Watch "An Unearthly Child." first. This disk contains the first serial (4 episodes) and an un-aired pilot.

Then watch "The Daleks." This disc contains the second serial (7 episodes). It continues where the first series left off and introduces the Daleks for the first time.​

The other disk Netflix lists here is "The Edge of Destruction." This contains the serial after "The Daleks" (two episodes). It is interesting in it's own right, but not really a "must see" story.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
rowan atkinson

Just to throw this in the pot and mess with all the die hard Doctor Who fans...the next Docotr...Rowan Atkins. Check for it on youtube, its hil-freakin-larious. When I get on a computet I'll link it.

From the new Doctors since the series rebooted, I like the brooding 9th Doctor. Since of humour, yes, but not in you face.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
I would love that. . .

Hem,

I would love that, but I don't think that a Doctor revisit has ever or will ever happen in our lifetime. Or for that matter, the Doctor's. I have seen all of the Eleventh Doctor's episodes and I have but one question to pose to everyone.

WHO THE HECK IS RIVER SONG anyways. We know they somewhere along the line become entangled. Romantically? Is it the Doctor's Daughter? Is it Romana? I'd personally love to see a gal that looks like Mary Tamm. MMMMhmmmm.

FG.

Hemingway Jones said:
I like Matt Smith, but I do have a fantasy that perhaps after next year he will die and regenerate back to David Tenant who by then realized that his lawyer pilot for American tv was not such a great idea, and has decided to return to the role. By then, the series is sagging and needs him desperately.

So, Matt Smith passes away shaking his fleshy face to reveal the sculptured features of Mr Tenant.
"What!?" he exclaims several times, looking at himself in the Tardis' mirror. "That's never happened before!" he exclaims.
"And I'm still not a ginger!"
And so the 12th Doctor is the 10th Doctor and everyone is very confused, but also very pleased. Amy Pond stays!

Phoenix_400

New in Town
I grew up watching Doctor Who on PBS. Mostly the 4th and 5th Doctor. I gotta tell ya, Tom Baker will always be MY Doctor.

I was pretty excited when they rebooted the series. It turned into a little bit of let down at 1st though. For some reason the 9th just didn't sit with me too well. There was just something missing, a quirkiness I associated with the Doctor that he just couldn't quite pull off...its hard to explain.

The 10th (Tennant) pulled off the role great. I'd say he's my 2nd favorite after Tom Baker. The 11th...took a while to grow on me. I think he seemed more spastic than eccentric to me and that kind of turned me off. I decided to give it a chance though, and Amy more than made up for what the 11th was lacking. I've finally started to like Matt Smith. Its like he finally clicked into the role in 'The Lodger', just seemed more like 'The Doctor' rather than 'spastic, fast-talking, time-traveler', ya know? That episode and the ones after were far better than the earlier episodes of this season. I actually really enjoyed the season finale.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
FedoraGent said:
Hem,

I would love that, but I don't think that a Doctor revisit has ever or will ever happen in our lifetime. Or for that matter, the Doctor's. I have seen all of the Eleventh Doctor's episodes and I have but one question to pose to everyone.

WHO THE HECK IS RIVER SONG anyways. We know they somewhere along the line become entangled. Romantically? Is it the Doctor's Daughter? Is it Romana? I'd personally love to see a gal that looks like Mary Tamm. MMMMhmmmm.

FG.
River is the Doctor's wife. She "died" in the library episode. You must remember that..?

"The Lodger" was great fun, wasn't it? I enjoyed seeing the Doctor as a normal bloke.

The season finale is good as well, though it is suffering from kitchen sink issues as have previous season endings.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Thoroughly enjoy the season finale last night, though they still haven't explained the connection between the Taurus and the cracks in time.
Bringing back Rory as a Roman and having him guard Amy in the Pandorica for 2000 years was not only brilliant but very moving.
I was glad to see him become a stronger character and not just a foil for the Doctor and Amy.
I love the way the New Doctor tells his enemies who they're up against, that he's the cause of every bad day they're ever had and that he'll beat them again.
It almost a little "Clint Eastwoodish" "Do you feel lucky today"

OReillyFactor

New in Town
Hemingway Jones said:
River is the Doctor's wife. She "died" in the library episode. You must remember that..?

We don't actually *know* who River Song is. Russell T Davies says she isn't his wife, though. Just a wifely figure from his past.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
! think i should also apologise for being a latecomer to this thread and veering a little off topic, but having been a huge fan of the Doctor since childhood i felt compelled to throw my two pence worth into the mix. I agree with Nathans comment about the Doctor that you grew up watching as a child, (in my case Tom Baker), being your favourite, although i do think David Tenant did a sterling job too. At the risk of sounding like a bit of a namedropper, or being a little bit biased about Mr Baker, (both wildly untrue of course!), he has actually become a local resident of ours, i thought i was losing my marbles the first time i heard that booming voice behind me in the petrol station, and is charm personified, nutty as a fruitcake and is about the only person i know who i have actually heard call someone "my good man" without making themselves sound completely ridiculous. Oh and he was wearing a panama, braces and carrying a swordstick, what's not to love!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou