Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doctor.... Who? Spoilers! Really, don't read if ur not up to date.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
Hooray, no more "Boyfriend Doctor"! I am really liking Capaldi so far. He has great hands.

Clara has been better since she is not the mystery of the season. I can take or leave her.

I am looking forward to Saturday's spooky episode.

MissEllie

New in Town
I liked Saturday's episode but the group I watched it with had an issue with some plotholes in it. Don't read past here if you haven't watched it yet! We were wondering how if Clara was the hand under the bed how come there was an actual creature under the blanket and what was outside the hangar at the end of everything? Also we didn't understand why Clara left the toy soldier with the Doctor. But we're assuming these will either be cleared up in a future episode or never brought up again.

We were sufficiently "spooked" by the episode though, the scene on the last planet reminded me of that two-sentence horror story: The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door. Which always freaked me out, so that worked for me. It was better than last weeks, in their opinion (I missed last weeks).

So far I like this doctor a lot! Nine was my favorite and I didn't care for Eleven much. So I'm really glad Twelve is better for me, personally!

I liked Saturday's episode but the group I watched it with had an issue with some plotholes in it...
It started off with an interesting premise, but suddenly devolved into the mystery of Clara's future and they didn't do too good a job tying the two storylines together. As for the "spoilerish" moments you mentioned, this is one of the problems I have with Moffatt as showrunner--he likes to throw things in that seem to be of great importance in the moment, but ultimately mean nothing and are never, or rarely, mentioned again. I'm sure he thinks these moments are clever, but in the end they come across as nothing more than fanboy rubbish or screwing with the audience.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"Listen" was a great episode with some tight, fun, and interesting writing. I've read some of the criticisms on line and it is very common to accuse Moffat of being too clever as if being clever is perjorative. Too meta, perhaps, but clever?

This episode was both epic in scale and very small. That's what I enjoyed most about it.

I don't believe there was a creature under the blanket. I think that it was just another orphan having a go at them. The director doesn't show us anything but a suggestive blur and the figure is the height of a child. No lose end there.

Also, there was nothing outside. The Doctor says that once unlocked the locking mechanism could be solving itself. All the noise and everything else simply were what he said as an explanation.

I also don't know why The toy soldier was left, but I suppose we will see, or perhaps not. There are lose ends in life and lose ends in some of the best of television.

Think of the Russian gangster in the Pine Barrens. He got away from Chris and Paulie and we never saw him again, but that is for another thread...

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Moffat definitely knows how to mess with his audience. & from what I've seen of him in interviews he seems a bit cocky. I'm sure such moments, as the ones mentioned, are him thinking himself to be clever.

It was reminiscent of "Blink" though I kept wishing Weeping Angels would show up instead of the invisible bogeyman. Clara should have mentioned Pink to the Doctor. Overall, a good one. :)

Edward

Bartender
Cocky is the understatement of the century. Moffat disappeared up his own backside long ago. Unfortunately, he's also ruining Sherlock in the same way.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Spoiler:
I think that the soldier was left behind as a symbol of The Doctor, the idea of The Doctor; the smartest man in the room who doesn't need a gun to solve problems. Also, slightly broken.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I do wish they would put on some of the old Hartnell or Troughten Doctors stories. A bit like they re- run the original Star Trek every now and then.

Edward

Bartender
Spoiler:
I think that the soldier was left behind as a symbol of The Doctor, the idea of The Doctor; the smartest man in the room who doesn't need a gun to solve problems. Also, slightly broken.

Yes, I thought that was obvious, though less heavy handed than a lot of the rest of the show thus far.

I do wish they would put on some of the old Hartnell or Troughten Doctors stories. A bit like they re- run the original Star Trek every now and then.

Don't know if you can Netflix over there, I would assume you could since it's an online service, but most of the old episodes are on there. I have been watching a lot of them with my sons (8 & 9 yrs. old) and they have really been getting a charge out of them.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

There was talk of filming some of the lost Hartnell episodes with Bradley. I don't know if anything became of it, but what an intriguing idea. Theoretically, one could recast any Doctor, the Fourth for instance. However, we digress.

My favorite episodes are either emotional or thought-provoking; either, "The Girl in the Fireplace" or "Blink." Some of the monster-of-the-week episodes leave me wanting.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Don't know if you can Netflix over there, I would assume you could since it's an online service, but most of the old episodes are on there. I have been watching a lot of them with my sons (8 & 9 yrs. old) and they have really been getting a charge out of them.
Thanks, I will chase that up.
I never did warm to any Doctor after Patrick Troughton especially Tom Baker.
I was around 6-7 years old, saw the last of the William Hartnell shows and was forever pinching mums sink plunger and egg whisk to play Darleks.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Doctor Who Experience in Wales (where they film the series) are currently recruiting for tour guides. Check BBC Jobs! Great for any Whovians out there!!

Edward

Bartender

Yes, Netflix is available in the UK. :)

There was talk of filming some of the lost Hartnell episodes with Bradley. I don't know if anything became of it, but what an intriguing idea. Theoretically, one could recast any Doctor, the Fourth for instance. However, we digress.

I'd like to see that. Was Bradley the actor that played Hartnell in the BBC drama about the origins of the show? (I've yet to see that myself, but I hear it's good.)

I hope Clara does not make it to the next season......

You an a very sizeable chunk, if not the majority, of the fanbase!

I can take of leave Clara, but I am warming to Danny Pink.

Yes, he's actually a more interesting character. I'd like to see them bring the actor on board as Orson Pink, though. I'm bored of (our) present-day humans as the default companion. If it has to be human (no reason they do, though they do need to be able to appear human, given the pre-intergalactic, earthbound-setting of so many stories), one from a different timeframe would be great.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
I'm bored of (our) present-day humans as the default companion. If it has to be human (no reason they do, though they do need to be able to appear human, given the pre-intergalactic, earthbound-setting of so many stories), one from a different timeframe would be great.
I totally agree. Leela was one of my favorites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails