Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doctor.... Who? Spoilers! Really, don't read if ur not up to date.

...They can make episodes like this that hint to a return to former glories all they like, but until Moffat is out, it'll never recover quality.
I concur. I really like Capaldi, and I want to like the show more than I do, but ever since Moffat took the reins it's been really lackluster and my enjoyment has diminished almost to the point where I really don't care whether or not I watch it.

Edward

Bartender
So the path has now been cleared for the next Doctor to be a female. Which goes against all the laws of time and space.

It'll never happen. Interesting idea with which to play, but it's already been done elsewhere (Deep Space Nine/ Star Trek TNG), and there's nothing more they could do with it. Fine for a cheap laugh or a plot twist with another one, but I really can't see them committing to a whole series with a lady Doctor.

Steve27752

One of the Regulars
It'll never happen. Interesting idea with which to play, but it's already been done elsewhere (Deep Space Nine/ Star Trek TNG), and there's nothing more they could do with it. Fine for a cheap laugh or a plot twist with another one, but I really can't see them committing to a whole series with a lady Doctor.

Watch this space.......................................It will happen.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If the reviews are any indication, people are taking "The Mistress" way too seriously. Those who remember old Who will recall that the Master's trademark was baroque disguises and misdirection. Even if the sex-swap is genuine, it's not the most radical body transformation the Master has done. The whole thing is right in line with the established character -- who was willing to go to any length, from selling his soul to the Devil to turning into a weird glowing space-snake thing, to further his plots.

I wouldn't mind a female Doctor. In fact, I'll volunteer to play the part myself. If they think a cranky middle-aged Scot is something, they ought to try a cranky middle-aged American.

Edward

Bartender
They did, briefly, consider an American for the role of the Doctor for the TV-film version made as a joint US-UK project back in the nineties. In the end they went with Paul McGann, who was a great Doctor (even if, sadly, the script wasn't up to snuff). A serious contender, previously, was supposedly David Hasselhoff. It was even rumoured at one point that they were going to give the TARDIS a voice, KITT-style.... :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I liked this last episode. And the premise of harvesting souls/life energy or whatever to build an army is clever! (I'm not saying too much in case it spoils it for others yet to see it). The sleep patch/dream patch was fun too for the Doctor to find a few things out about Clara.
I like it when it's dark (The Iraq War piece is suitably dark & I hope there's no happy ending nor peace gained from it). Dark..sinister ..bitter..cynical..damaged...is ALL positive for a great Byronic anti-heroesque Dr Who.

For the BWE fans... A Nuckyesque Doctor would be Grand!!

Edward

Bartender
I like it when it's dark (The Iraq War piece is suitably dark & I hope there's no happy ending nor peace gained from it). Dark..sinister ..bitter..cynical..damaged...is ALL positive for a great Byronic anti-heroesque Dr Who.

I agree absolutely. I thought it was quite brave of them to explore that element, and the fact that they didn't shoe-horn in a twee resolution made it all the more powerful.

For the BWE fans... A Nuckyesque Doctor would be Grand!!

I'd be surprised if they ever veered too far away from a UK Doctor, but if they did, Steve Buscemi would be an excellent choice. Christoph Waltz would be another excellent choice. I'm not sure I can imagine Who ever having the budget for them, though!

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
8b6d26912804192e7fcfab8134155ce8.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I still want Quentin Tarrantino to write and direct a road movie with Woody Allen and Steve Buscemi playing father and son....

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I concur. I really like Capaldi, and I want to like the show more than I do, but ever since Moffat took the reins it's been really lackluster and my enjoyment has diminished almost to the point where I really don't care whether or not I watch it.

Spot on. The scripts were sloppy and needed more work. Devices and heightened emotionalism are no substitute for solid plotting. The ideas were lazy and Capaldi never really came across - he had so little to work with. Is he The doctor...? I don't really know or care. This last season felt like it was written by a teenage fan. Not sure I'll keep watching.

Edward

Bartender
I still want Quentin Tarrantino to write and direct a road movie with Woody Allen and Steve Buscemi playing father and son....

Oh yes, him too. My mistake above, though: I meant to type John Waters playing Steve Buscemi's father, not Woody Allen. He'd be their therapist (to ehom they end up offering advice, because he's so neurotic).

Spot on. The scripts were sloppy and needed more work. Devices and heightened emotionalism are no substitute for solid plotting. The ideas were lazy and Capaldi never really came across - he had so little to work with. Is he The doctor...? I don't really know or care. This last season felt like it was written by a teenage fan. Not sure I'll keep watching.

Moffat's just dialing it in. I doubt he much cares by this point. It felt at one point like he was throwing Who under the bus to spend more time on Sherlock, but with the third series he's started ruining that in the same way.

Nobert

Practically Family
Moffat's just dialing it in. I doubt he much cares by this point. It felt at one point like he was throwing Who under the bus to spend more time on Sherlock, but with the third series he's started ruining that in the same way.

I agree with your overall assessment that the show has been declining ever since Moffat took over, but to my mind it's just that he lacks the subtler touch that Davies had. He's more concerned with exploring his clever ideas than respecting the aesthetic and balance of Dr. Who that pulls it off. Ever since I started watching, when I was about 12, one of the things I always found alluring was that there was a mystery to the character, even knowing what we knew, there were always things that were only alluded to. Since Moffat took the reins, we have seen both the Doctor's cradle and his grave. I was willing to give him another chance after the asinine River Song diversion, and then he gave us the even more ridiculous "impossible girl" scenario. I actually thought he pulled it out of the fire with Day of the Docter but I've yet to see the Capaldi episodes. He could be making hash of it again at this point, for all I know.

Edward

Bartender
I agree with your overall assessment that the show has been declining ever since Moffat took over, but to my mind it's just that he lacks the subtler touch that Davies had. He's more concerned with exploring his clever ideas than respecting the aesthetic and balance of Dr. Who that pulls it off. Ever since I started watching, when I was about 12, one of the things I always found alluring was that there was a mystery to the character, even knowing what we knew, there were always things that were only alluded to. Since Moffat took the reins, we have seen both the Doctor's cradle and his grave. I was willing to give him another chance after the asinine River Song diversion, and then he gave us the even more ridiculous "impossible girl" scenario. I actually thought he pulled it out of the fire with Day of the Docter but I've yet to see the Capaldi episodes. He could be making hash of it again at this point, for all I know.

I liked River Song, but Clara had always been tedious. The Capaldi episodes are an improvement on the final series with Smith, which was uniformly appalling. It's still second rate, but not unwatchably bad. The main problem is that Clara is still, pointlessly, hanging around, and far too much time hasbeen wasted on her, her dull boyfriend, and the annoying kids they teach. I'd like to see the show go back to being about the Doctor...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Oh yes, him too. My mistake above, though: I meant to type John Waters playing Steve Buscemi's father, not Woody Allen. He'd be their therapist (to ehom they end up offering advice, because he's so neurotic).

Sherlock's pretty haphazard writing too these days. I don't think Moffat is cynical or past caring I think he's simply overwritten and doesn't have anyone with any better ideas around him.

Mind you apart from Matt Smith's appalling final season I actually thought a number of his earlier episodes were terrific. And Moffat was able to generate some great ideas.

I have to say that the reboot of Dr Who (enjoyable as much of it has been) has always been pretty patchy. Even from "Rose" the very first episode. I hated the fact that the series has a habit of resolving an entire complex plot in the last few minutes. That goes right back to Eccelston's days. Especially his final which was resolved Dues ex machina. I liked it but Jeez....

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, The Magicians Apprentice and The Witches Familiar. Parts 1 & 2 of the Season 9 opener. Quite an interesting way to start the season. They still ask more questions than they answer. I'm liking Missy more and more. Hope she stays around a while. I'm interested how they're gong to take the Daleks from here on out.

Cheers!

Dan

I love Missy. Her manic behavior is over the top, and it's great. I watched the second one last night. Interesting directions they seem to be taking. And I like Capaldi.

The "foreshadowing" of having Clara as a Dalek was pretty good, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21