Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone find that vintage clothing is more comfortable then modern clothing?

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I swear my vintage clothing is more comfortable then even my sweats. A cotton dress from the 1930's or 1940's, or even the 1920's so comfortable, I am not sure why this is, but it might be for two reasons. 1. The fabrics back then for the most part where pure, pure cotton, pure silk, silk velvet, besides rayon which is so much better and more comfortable and breathable then todays spandex and poly blends ( yuck). 2. The clothing was not cut skin tight back then, it was very comfortable fitting compared to the horrible skin tight things today.

When I am wearing a vintage dress around the house, or out shopping/running errands, I feel so much more feminane and pretty then all those other girls in thier jeans, teeshirts and sweats ( not to say I don't own these and wear them occasionally, but I have gotton so used to just slipping on a vintage dress instead.)

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Absolutely. For women, everything seemed to be cut to accentuate/accomodate curves, where as today everything seems to be cut for women with more athletic or boyish figures; narrow hips and smaller breasts. I have a hard time finding anything new which I love the way it looks on me. I've got curves and they aren't going away! Nor would I want them to!

Even men's clothes -- In deep Winter it's hard for me not to wear my Grandfather's army dress slacks and his old black wool slacks everyday. The high, fitted waist can't be beat!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
NicolettaRose said:
I swear my vintage clothing is more comfortable then even my sweats. A cotton dress from the 1930's or 1940's, or even the 1920's so comfortable, I am not sure why this is, but it might be for two reasons. 1. The fabrics back then for the most part where pure, pure cotton, pure silk, silk velvet, besides rayon which is so much better and more comfortable and breathable then todays spandex and poly blends ( yuck). 2. The clothing was not cut skin tight back then, it was very comfortable fitting compared to the horrible skin tight things today.

When I am wearing a vintage dress around the house, or out shopping/running errands, I feel so much more feminane and pretty then all those other girls in thier jeans, teeshirts and sweats ( not to say I don't own these and wear them occasionally, but I have gotton so used to just slipping on a vintage dress instead.)

Vintage stuff is also great for petite people I am petite 5'3 ( 32D/C-24-34), alot of the stuff from the 1930's I don't ever have to taken it at the waist, or take up at the sleeves and the hem, where I got to banana republic, and thier size 0 dress is too big!! :rage: The only decade when I start running into problems is the 1940's and beyond. I love the bias cut of the 1930's. Sometimes I wish I had more curves so I could wear the 1940's stuff. I guess I am just a 1930's girl.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Oh I agree! With all the darts and panels where they should be...
I just love day dresses! And I'm petite as well and never have to hem anything, it's GREAT!

Nikki

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No, I dont think theyre more comfortable, not by a long shot. :)

I feel more 'proper' and together in the vintage clothes, so there in point I am more comfortable as in being in my element.

As far as fabric goes, sure, I love a clean cotton dress (vintage) over a plastic acrylic fabric that seem to daunt the department stores. But I dont think Im alone in that.

LD

epr25

Practically Family
I love summer time and wearing dresses. They are so comfortable. You can put on a little sleeveless day dress and flats and look so put together vs. the daisy dukes the masses prefer to wear. Tight clothing and hot weather just do not ever seem together with me. Anyway I find that wearing dress ect. when garge saleing inspires people to give me things. I think this is only because it causes conversations that might not ususally happen.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I find that fit and fabric vary enough in any period that I can't say that vintage is more comforatable. I would say that I find most vintage off the rack clothing to be better made than what we see today. I have the impression that the clothing was made to last, while much of today's clothing is disposable and made to be worn for a single season...

There are, of course, exceptions to each of my generalizations.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I find vintage clothing to be much more comfortable then modern garments. The fit is much more tailored, which suits my small waist and hourglass figure perfectly, and the fabric drapes better and feels cooler overall. I never found jeans to be comfortable in the least (though the lighter weight vintage denim is much more so then modern denim) and I have been wearing vintage dresses nearly every day for last several years. Plus, it is so easy to look pulled together in just a few minutes--it's a great way to dress and it really sets you apart from the rest of the crowd!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have modern clothes that are just as comfortable as my vintage clothes. But, I do find, you get what you pay for. The stuff that's sold at the mall or in most departments stores is poorly made and ill fitting.
As for Banana Rebuplic, they do make petites. They actually have a petite store. Also, if something there doesn't fit, they will alter it for you for free. I have some beautiful suits from both Banana and JCrew that are very comfortable and nicely made. And today's suit blends are a lot more comfortable than the thick itchy wool of some of my 30's and 40's suits.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I feel a lot more comfortable in vintage clothing, even though when I wear dresses I always wear a girdle (the top band rolls too much, I need a new one!) and heels.

To me it's more comfortable because first of all, I know I look loads better, and secondly, my hips aren't busting out of my clothes! I wear jeans a lot of the time and jeans these days just aren't cut for girls with hips, so I'm constantly flaunting the muffin top (even though my boyfriend says it's cute, I'm not too sure...) and tugging on my jeans.

So vintage clothing makes me feel much more comfortable, for sure. They actually flatter my body instead of detract from it, like modern clothes.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
I feel a lot more comfortable in vintage clothing, even though when I wear dresses I always wear a girdle (the top band rolls too much, I need a new one!) and heels.

To me it's more comfortable because first of all, I know I look loads better, and secondly, my hips aren't busting out of my clothes! I wear jeans a lot of the time and jeans these days just aren't cut for girls with hips, so I'm constantly flaunting the muffin top (even though my boyfriend says it's cute, I'm not too sure...) and tugging on my jeans.

So vintage clothing makes me feel much more comfortable, for sure. They actually flatter my body instead of detract from it, like modern clothes.

I suffer from the horrible muffin top too! Modern jeans all seem to be hipsters which I find terribly uncomfortable and am constantly tugging on them. It's hard to find jeans that actually fit on your waist or high waisted ones, although the high waist is apparently in fashion at the moment. Over the past few months I have found myself wearing jeans less and less because dresses and skirts are much more comfortable.

As somebody else has mentioned, clothes these days don't seem to be cut for the curvy lady but for the more boyfish figure. I have a 34DD bust and find shirts a real pain to find - some sizes fit everywhere else but the buttons look ready to burst and then the next size up fits the bust but is too big elsewhere. Vintage shirts definitely do fit me better. Regarding modern clothing, I own more of this than vintage (which I'm working on!) and have comfortable garments from both but I definitely agree that vintage clothing is cut better for curves and actually flatters my figure.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
SarahB said:
I suffer from the horrible muffin top too! Modern jeans all seem to be hipsters which I find terribly uncomfortable and am constantly tugging on them. It's hard to find jeans that actually fit on your waist or high waisted ones, although the high waist is apparently in fashion at the moment.

High-waisted jeans are definitely in fashion now, except they are cut for, once again, non-curvy figures. My roommate, who is very thin and has no curves whatsoever has a very cute pair of high-waisted jeans, and they fit her perfectly. We have the same waist size, so I went to try them on and they could barely go past mid-thigh! I was looking at them and they are sized in such a way that only a girl who's hips are 3 inches bigger than her waist can wear them. Add another 7 inches onto that 3 and then maybe they'll fit me!!

How unfair! :(

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SarahB said:
I have a 34DD bust and find shirts a real pain to find - some sizes fit everywhere else but the buttons look ready to burst and then the next size up fits the bust but is too big elsewhere.

Preach on, sister!

Im 38DD and BOY OH BOY, *shakes head* who do they cut these shirts for?! It can fit nice in the bust, but Im swimming in the waist. Or vice versa. I gave up and just started making my own. Tarts are a girl's best friend.

Ive also found the necks to be way too big. I cant wear a kerchief if I want cause I have two inches of collar bulk from the low cut of the neck. :rage:

Sorry, Im alright now. :eek:

LD

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
High-waisted jeans are definitely in fashion now, except they are cut for, once again, non-curvy figures. My roommate, who is very thin and has no curves whatsoever has a very cute pair of high-waisted jeans, and they fit her perfectly. We have the same waist size, so I went to try them on and they could barely go past mid-thigh! I was looking at them and they are sized in such a way that only a girl who's hips are 3 inches bigger than her waist can wear them. Add another 7 inches onto that 3 and then maybe they'll fit me!!

How unfair! :(

pt and SarahB have you thought of trying the QueenofHeartz.com dungaree jeans? I have a 10 inch waist and hip difference and they fit me perfectly and look very awesome to boot. And they are very reasonably priced compared to the SS ones.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
pt and SarahB have you thought of trying the QueenofHeartz.com dungaree jeans? I have a 10 inch waist and hip difference and they fit me perfectly and look very awesome to boot. And they are very reasonably priced compared to the SS ones.

How cute! I have a vintage pair (that I'm still trying to squeeze into) that are almost exactly the same as the QueenofHeartz ones. I've never seen that site before, thanks for posting it!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab

I second this suggestion, as I too have a very tiny waist and round hips. Aside from 1940s-50s dungarees, which fit hourglass figures very well, the version that Queen of Heartz sells is really the next best thing. :)

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Preach on, sister!

Im 38DD and BOY OH BOY, *shakes head* who do they cut these shirts for?! It can fit nice in the bust, but Im swimming in the waist. Or vice versa. I gave up and just started making my own. Tarts are a girl's best friend.

Ive also found the necks to be way too big. I cant wear a kerchief if I want cause I have two inches of collar bulk from the low cut of the neck. :rage:

Sorry, Im alright now. :eek:

LD

I´m "only" a 36C/34D but I can feel with all of you!!! It´s allways either too saggy or too tight. UARGH!!! That´s why I prefer to shop on ebay and started to sew... No negative dressing-room experiences anymore...

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
SarahB said:
I suffer from the horrible muffin top too! Modern jeans all seem to be hipsters which I find terribly uncomfortable and am constantly tugging on them. It's hard to find jeans that actually fit on your waist or high waisted ones, although the high waist is apparently in fashion at the moment. Over the past few months I have found myself wearing jeans less and less because dresses and skirts are much more comfortable.

I totally agree with you SarahB. I really felt umcomfortable with those hipster jeans. I have been wearing high waisted trousers for quite a while (I had had two pairs custom made by a seemstress). And I love these trousers they are much more comfortable than these very tight trousers. And I can wear my foundation garments under them as they are quite wide.

Elaina

One Too Many
Part of the big bust club here too. I love button-ups, but I got tired of finding anything that would fit. I have narrow shoulders too, so even sewing them is an adventure.

As to vintage clothing: NOTHING I wear is comfortable. Doesn't really matter what it is. If I don't wear my foundation garment my back, shoulders and hip hurt. If I do, it's a corset. Not exactly the most comfy of garments to begin with. So...until they let me go nekkid on a chaise lounge everywhere, I'm in the "clothes aren't comfy at all no matter the period" category.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner