Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone find that vintage clothing is more comfortable then modern clothing?

lindylady

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
High-waisted jeans are definitely in fashion now, except they are cut for, once again, non-curvy figures. My roommate, who is very thin and has no curves whatsoever has a very cute pair of high-waisted jeans, and they fit her perfectly. We have the same waist size, so I went to try them on and they could barely go past mid-thigh! I was looking at them and they are sized in such a way that only a girl who's hips are 3 inches bigger than her waist can wear them. Add another 7 inches onto that 3 and then maybe they'll fit me!!

How unfair! :(

I'm one of those girls who have a boyish figure, at least from the waist down (I'm a 40C up top). But let me tell you, I DETEST JEANS! There isn't one pair on this planet that is flattering to my body. I'm always tugging at the low waist and frowning upon the immodest and greatly uncomfortable tight fit. I feel as if I'm being wrangled around the lower abdomen.

I would love to find a pair of jeans (preferably vintage-styled) that flatter me and feel divine, but I'll stick to skirts and dresses for now. Most women today who buy jeans probably are unaware of the poor fit because they don't dress up as often as their mothers and grandmothers did. I'm sure if they were presented with a vintage or vintage-inspired garment that fit the way clothes are supposed to fit (at-waist, for example), we would see these styles coming back.

One more thing. I see photos of women sixty years ago and back, and they all have different body types. Even the ones with athletic, boyish figures looked lovely and feminine in their clothing. Why can't designers create this effect now?

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
lindylady said:
One more thing. I see photos of women sixty years ago and back, and they all have different body types. Even the ones with athletic, boyish figures looked lovely and feminine in their clothing. Why can't designers create this effect now?

Because many of them made their own clothing, or had it made/altered.

Myself, I can't make clothing as smartly as I prefer to wear them, so I tend to buy the item in the larger size and have it tailored (pants especially) as needed. Having a significant hip to waist ratio, jeans are a huge headache for me too. The only ones that "fit", as fit is defined these days, are the rather low-rise ones. They look alright, fortunately I don't have a muffin thing, but I don't want that to be my only option for casual pants. Plus, I hate that the thighs are cut so tight! Dang.

I tend to wear dresses (non-vintage or repro) all the time when it's warm enough (about 9-10 months of the year). But for casual wear when it's cold and/or windy, I'm pretty well stuck. :( I'm going to check out QueenofHeartz.com though. I also need to spend some quality time with that wide-legged trouser thread as well.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
lindylady said:
I'm one of those girls who have a boyish figure, at least from the waist down (I'm a 40C up top). But let me tell you, I DETEST JEANS! There isn't one pair on this planet that is flattering to my body. I'm always tugging at the low waist and frowning upon the immodest and greatly uncomfortable tight fit. I feel as if I'm being wrangled around the lower abdomen.

I would love to find a pair of jeans (preferably vintage-styled) that flatter me and feel divine, but I'll stick to skirts and dresses for now. Most women today who buy jeans probably are unaware of the poor fit because they don't dress up as often as their mothers and grandmothers did. I'm sure if they were presented with a vintage or vintage-inspired garment that fit the way clothes are supposed to fit (at-waist, for example), we would see these styles coming back.

You should look into Acne jeans! They are really expensive, but they make a very cute vintage-inspired high waisted pair (the ones my roommate has), and if you don't have much difference between your waist and hips, I totally recommend them!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
You should look into Acne jeans! They are really expensive, but they make a very cute vintage-inspired high waisted pair (the ones my roommate has), and if you don't have much difference between your waist and hips, I totally recommend them!

Yes, I've been eyeing those too. The high-waisted pair of Acne jeans is called Tube. The come in unwashed blue denim and black. I guess my figure is neither boyish nor more than ordinarily curvy so I hope there's a chance that those jeans will look good on me.

The brand Cheap Monday also makes high-waisted jeans (called Skyscraper and Eiffeltower), they're affordable but t i g h t .

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I agree that my vintage dresses from the 30s and 50s are very comfortable -- they hug me where they're supposed to and breathe where they're supposed to!! BUT!! I always feel so stiff and uncomfortable in them because I'm so scared I'm going to tear them or stain them! So I only wear them on very special occasions. In a way, they make me feel more ladylike. But I always have this cautious fear that my clumsy self is gonna ruin it!

I hate the fit of most modern clothes, too. It seems like tops nowadays are made for girls who are 5-1 and have 38C boobs!! "Larges" fit me in the chest and shoulders, but I'm 5-7 and they are always TOO SHORT and look stupid on me. I have trouble with sleeves, too. They are always too short; I refer to these as my "Herman Munster" tops. Pants are also a nightmare. I have a classic tiny waist and much wider hips. My size, 11, is always way too loose around my waist and the waist tends to "fall" down to my hips! I've tried a size 10 but they are too baggy in the hips!! It's never right!

I haven't owned a pair of shorts since the 1990s. I used to HAVE to wear them because I worked in a very hot factory. Now that I don't have to wear them, I DON'T. They are terribly uncomfortable and unflattering on me!

Whenever possible, I wear a skirt.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
Yes, I've been eyeing those too. The high-waisted pair of Acne jeans is called Tube. The come in unwashed blue denim and black. I guess my figure is neither boyish nor more than ordinarily curvy so I hope there's a chance that those jeans will look good on me.

The brand Cheap Monday also makes high-waisted jeans (called Skyscraper and Eiffeltower), they're affordable but t i g h t .

Yup, my roommate has BOTH of those brands of jeans. I'm so jealous she can fit into them. I know Tara Subkoff makes high-waisted jeans for her line Imitation of Christ, and I think they are for curvier gals (Scarlett Johannsen modeled them), but I can't find them anywhere, not even online.

lindylady

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:

Thanks! I'm going on their website now!

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Scarlett Johannsen is considered curvy? Huh. Then I guess I'd be elephantine!

Why in the world would someone name their line Acne jeans?!?!?!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
Yup, my roommate has BOTH of those brands of jeans. I'm so jealous she can fit into them. I know Tara Subkoff makes high-waisted jeans for her line Imitation of Christ, and I think they are for curvier gals (Scarlett Johannsen modeled them), but I can't find them anywhere, not even online.

I've been looking for those too, after seeing the picture of Scarlett! But all I could find was these:
1621.jpg

Maybe the Imitation brand is a watered-down pret-a-porter version of Imitation of Christ ...? [huh]

Oh and here's the lovely Scarlett Johannsen in high-waisted jeans:
sjohansson.jpg

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Alrighty then, Ms. Scarlett *is* curvy, huzzah!

Yep, those particular jeans are had to find, and the IoC "Scarlet" jeans ($200) are not the ones Scarlet wears in this picture, so I guess not named after her.

She makes a convincing arguement for the high-waisted retro jean in that shot, for sure.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
That's outrageous! My roomie got them on sale for about $80 US. Still quite expensive, but definitely not like that!

I keep hoping and praying that the IoC jeans that Scarlett wears will just fall from the sky and land in my lap. I have a vintage pair that look just like them that are a bit too small, and I don't think I'm gonna be losing an inch anytime soon. I'd give anything for the IoC jeans!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
The blessing of high waisted pants!

I just have to join in on the praising of high waisted pants! For years, I have only been wearing skirts due to the general discomfort caused by modern pants. But, since I live in Norway and the winters are really cold sometimes, I had to cave in and find some pants to warm my pins.

I tried those awful hipster pants because normal shops don`t carry other models. The horror! What evil designer came up with the idea of making pants that hug the body where most girls are at their widest! Pain and the well known muffin-problem drove me to stores aimed at costumers twice my age, to by some higher waist pants. But the waist was just not high enough, so they where still uncomfortable.

And then I bought one of these vintage sailor pants at ebay. Really high waist, wide legs, and all this cute little buttons. A whole new world of comfort, my tummy has never been so free and happy! The only problem is that all the small buttons really are functional to open and close the pants. That means I have to open and close about 20 buttons every time I go to the little girls room.... (I might have to sew in a hidden zipper opening.)

I am never going to wear modern pants ever again!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
I second this suggestion, as I too have a very tiny waist and round hips. Aside from 1940s-50s dungarees, which fit hourglass figures very well, the version that Queen of Heartz sells is really the next best thing. :)

And I third it! :) I ordered a pair of these after the discussion in another thread, and they are not only very cute and authentic-looking, but fit a 40s figure (I have a small waist, round hips, plus a round, well,... rear too) One thing I did not expect, since I am 5'10" (most of that being legs) is that they are actually long enough. I can even roll them up for a cuff if I want one! I dislike modern jeans and they have have never worked for me anyway. I could try on 20 pairs and none would be right. Queen of Hearts pair came in the mail, and fit perfectly. Thanks ladies!

lindylady

A-List Customer
Helen Troy said:
I just have to join in on the praising of high waisted pants! For years, I have only been wearing skirts due to the general discomfort caused by modern pants. But, since I live in Norway and the winters are really cold sometimes, I had to cave in and find some pants to warm my pins.

I tried those awful hipster pants because normal shops don`t carry other models. The horror! What evil designer came up with the idea of making pants that hug the body where most girls are at their widest! Pain and the well known muffin-problem drove me to stores aimed at costumers twice my age, to by some higher waist pants. But the waist was just not high enough, so they where still uncomfortable.

And then I bought one of these vintage sailor pants at ebay. Really high waist, wide legs, and all this cute little buttons. A whole new world of comfort, my tummy has never been so free and happy! The only problem is that all the small buttons really are functional to open and close the pants. That means I have to open and close about 20 buttons every time I go to the little girls room.... (I might have to sew in a hidden zipper opening.)

I am never going to wear modern pants ever again!

You were so fortunate to find those pants, Helen Troy! I wish I could sew (or at least enough motivation to learn) so I could whip together a pair. Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft sometimes come out with high waist, wide leg trousers. The Gap has something they're calling sailor pants, but they don't appear so to me. Also, Gap is coming out with the Boyfriend Trouser, which is supposed to be high waist and wide leg. I know how the quality of Gap clothing is not so great, but maybe this time they'll get it right? [huh]

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Decobelle said:
And I third it! :) I ordered a pair of these after the discussion in another thread, and they are not only very cute and authentic-looking, but fit a 40s figure (I have a small waist, round hips, plus a round, well,... rear too) One thing I did not expect, since I am 5'10" (most of that being legs) is that they are actually long enough. I can even roll them up for a cuff if I want one! I dislike modern jeans and they have have never worked for me anyway. I could try on 20 pairs and none would be right. Queen of Hearts pair came in the mail, and fit perfectly. Thanks ladies!

Really! I am 5'11 and most of it is torso, and I find them too short to wear unrolled! How strange, maybe they vary, what size are yours?

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
Really! I am 5'11 and most of it is torso, and I find them too short to wear unrolled! How strange, maybe they vary, what size are yours?

I went with XL. I was worried about that seam up the back pulling apart, like you noted! It was a good move. They fit well but are not super tight. I had planned to order a second pair, but now will be wondering if they'll be as long.... hope so. I never get to have a cuff!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab

Though I am 5'6, I have very long legs and have a terrible time finding pants that are long enough. I can wear the Queen of Heartz jeans cuffed and they are a slight bit short, but not awkwardly so. However, I do think there are slight discrepancies in between sizes as I bought two pairs on different occasions, and found that the second pair fit my waist perfectly when the first had been about 1.5 inches too big. [huh]

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
lindylady said:
How do they fit in the hips? I'm 5'11-6'0 and am a bit narrow in this region in proportion to my middle.

The fabric has some stretch to it, so it molds to fit the wearer's body. They will do custom orders for a small fee though, so if you need to make adjustments to the standard pattern they can accommodate such a request.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn