Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don Williams Lid

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I was just looking at some photos of Don Williams and for the first time, looked closely at his hat. I had always thought it to be a western with a short brim, alas I was wrong. It appears to me to be a dress hat of sorts with the brim rolled up western and a military acorn cord over the ribbon. There are so many styles rolled into one. I am not sure if he has been holding it by the crown, or if it was just pounced to this point with 9 million grit micron paper. :D

don_williams.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Hey Bud, if I remember right sometime back in the late 70's he lost, someome stole it or he just needed to replace it , but Stetson made him a new hat.
I dont think the hat he is wearing in the photo you posted is the original [from that time at least].

warbird

One Too Many
He has had several of those hats. They are Stetsons. They are cowboy hats, but with shorter brims, then curled. A fellow in Nashville who owned a hat shop where I bought some of my hats years ago, did the shaping and aging on at least some the hats to look like his original hat looked.

RBH

Bartender
I found this on a Don Williams website.

" Don's trademark hat came from the movies: "The hat was first given to me by the people at 20th Century Fox when I was filming W. W. & The Dixie Dance Kings. I really had worn hats very little prior to that. But the guy who made it for me, his specialty was styling hats to a person's features. And I just little by little got to wearing it, until it became like a part of me - I kid about it turning into a growth, but I really don't feel right if I go outside now without wearing it. I feel like I'm not dressed." Since the original, the Stetson Hat Company of St. Joseph, MO, has fashioned exact replicas for Don. "

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
RBH said:
I found this on a Don Williams website.

" Don's trademark hat came from the movies: "The hat was first given to me by the people at 20th Century Fox when I was filming W. W. & The Dixie Dance Kings. I really had worn hats very little prior to that. But the guy who made it for me, his specialty was styling hats to a person's features. And I just little by little got to wearing it, until it became like a part of me - I kid about it turning into a growth, but I really don't feel right if I go outside now without wearing it. I feel like I'm not dressed." Since the original, the Stetson Hat Company of St. Joseph, MO, has fashioned exact replicas for Don. "

This would be a good topic for HATCO, to jump in on and give us all the details. (hint, hint)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like this style of Wetsern hat. It reminds me of a Charlie 1 Horse Renagade. I would definitely wear that .

L HATLEY

One of the Regulars
Don Williams Hat

Major Moore are you reading this? Could you do this style Hat in a
7 1/8 long oval ? I have a Brown Cord with acorns to use
50% Beaver would be great.

majormoore

Vendor
Luke, will block this hat this week for you, in a 7 1/8 LO.

Call me and we will go over the details for this hat .

Mike

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I have a Charlie 1 Horse very similar to that one except in black. I've been meaning to replace the beaded hatband with a fedora style ribbon. I would never replace the lining because it was autographed by Chris LeDoux back around 1992 when he started getting mainstream popularity with the country masses.
The thing is about as stiff as they come and no amount of steam has loosened that lid up.
So I would have to agree with Douglas, but it doesn't bear the C1 Logo so maybe Charlie 1 Horse copied Don Williams hat since he's worn that style of hat for as far back as I can remember.

Cheers!

Dan

hatflick1

Practically Family
Don's Open Road?

I had picked up a really "vintage" Open Road sometime back...sweat stains, a couple of work tears in the fur felt, etc. Anyway, I rolled the sides of the brim up and it looked almost identical to Williams' hat. What causes the resemblance more than anything is the crown. It is tapered a little higher than most OP's. Yet, as the hat band states, it is indeed an old Open Road.

Seeking enlightenment...one hat at a time.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Daniel, I had the pleasure of meeting Chris in Denver back in the early 90's. Fine man, he departed from us much to soon. RIP

DanielJones said:
I have a Charlie 1 Horse very similar to that one except in black. I've been meaning to replace the beaded hatband with a fedora style ribbon. I would never replace the lining because it was autographed by Chris LeDoux back around 1992 when he started getting mainstream popularity with the country masses.
The thing is about as stiff as they come and no amount of steam has loosened that lid up.
So I would have to agree with Douglas, but it doesn't bear the C1 Logo so maybe Charlie 1 Horse copied Don Williams hat since he's worn that style of hat for as far back as I can remember.

Cheers!

Dan

RBH

Bartender
What do you think of this one.I was thinking of selling it and got to thinking it may be perfect for this experiment.
Here is the western Resistol I converted ...

hpim1664dk0.jpg

Now converted back to a western, kinda Don Williams like, all I need is the cord.

hpim1666si7.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Bud-n-Texas said:
Daniel, I had the pleasure of meeting Chris in Denver back in the early 90's. Fine man, he departed from us much to soon. RIP

Yeah, he was a heck of a nice fellow. He used to come around this neck of the woods for our local fair and the cowboy poetry festival when Waddie Mitchell would turn up. I got to know him on a more personal basis other than a fan, and would have him & his family over when he was in town. I was always amazed at how gentle his hand shake was since he needed an iron grip to hold on to that bare back handle.
He will be missed.

Cheers!

Dan

Old Reb

New in Town
Don Williams hat acorns and braid

deanglen,
The acorns and braid on Don's hat were originally gold in color and worn by Confederate Officer's during the "War for Southern Independence".

Old Reb
si vic Pacem, Parabellum (If you desire peace, prepare for war)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass