Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don Williams Lid

Paulgtr56

New in Town
I was just looking at some photos of Don Williams and for the first time, looked closely at his hat. I had always thought it to be a western with a short brim, alas I was wrong. It appears to me to be a dress hat of sorts with the brim rolled up western and a military acorn cord over the ribbon. There are so many styles rolled into one. I am not sure if he has been holding it by the crown, or if it was just pounced to this point with 9 million grit micron paper. :D

don_williams.jpg
I just read this. I thought I'd let everyone know that I wrote Stetson back in the early 1980s and they replied with a letter stating Don wears the Stetson Stampede in the acorn color. He occasionally went to the factory and they said before he left, his new hat looked as battered as the one he came in with.

Paulgtr56

New in Town
I was just looking at some photos of Don Williams and for the first time, looked closely at his hat. I had always thought it to be a western with a short brim, alas I was wrong. It appears to me to be a dress hat of sorts with the brim rolled up western and a military acorn cord over the ribbon. There are so many styles rolled into one. I am not sure if he has been holding it by the crown, or if it was just pounced to this point with 9 million grit micron paper. :D

don_williams.jpg

Paulgtr56

New in Town
Don wears a Stetson Stampede in the acorn color, according to the letter I received from Stetson back in the early 1980s. He shaped it himself. The letter stated his new hat looked as battered as the one he came in with.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Funny I was researching Don Williams hat and found this thread. I'm gonna start with a Open Crown Silverbelly Stetson with a ribbon band on it. I will add the Confederate tassle band over the ribbon. I will cut the brim down to 3" and curl the sides back pointing into crown. I'am going to leave the front and back flat. Don's hat was curled up in the back. His hats also have a mule kick in back of crown which I will also add. The crown is sharp and the dents go all the way to the back. It's not a teardrop, it's more a triangle. I will add some pics in about a month when it's done.
VARIOUS-1980.jpg
oie_41816386eadlnLm.png

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Funny I was researching Don Williams hat and found this thread. I'm gonna start with a Open Crown Silverbelly Stetson with a ribbon band on it. I will add the Confederate tassle band over the ribbon. I will cut the brim down to 3" and curl the sides back pointing into crown. I'am going to leave the front and back flat. Don's hat was curled up in the back. His hats also have a mule kick in back of crown which I will also add. The crown is sharp and the dents go all the way to the back. It's not a teardrop, it's more a triangle. I will add some pics in about a month when it's done.
View attachment 134127 View attachment 134128

That hat is a real icon, and Don was a fine man and a fantastic singer. My wife and I sure do miss him!

Winston Carter

Practically Family
That hat is a real icon, and Don was a fine man and a fantastic singer. My wife and I sure do miss him!
I have been wanting to make a copy of his hat for a while. I have looked at a bunch of videos on YT and got plenty of pics so i'm ready to go. He was one of my favorites in the 70's. Great voice and humble personality. Ordered the yellow Calvery Acorn hat band from Miller Hats website today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael