Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't emulate this look!

Renee

Familiar Face
The other day my son and I were out running errands. As we were walking, a young handsome man (late 20's or so) came walking towards us. He was dressed in jeans, a sweater vest over a button up shirt, and a dark blazer. Quite nice looking, actually. :)

But as we started to pass by we both looked at his feet ... and looked again ... and then looked at each other as if to confirm that we had actually seen what we thought we had seen ....

Sandals with striped socks. A horrible look to begin with, but he could have pulled it off because (1) it's Germany, (2) they were fashionable looking striped socks that toned with his shirt, vest and blazer, and (3) he was very good looking.

But it was raining that day, and he had plastic bags over his socks. :eek:

That is definitely a fashion don't!!!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was a kid I went to a birthday party in regular tennis shoes and everyone else decided to go play outside. To keep my feet warm and dry the mom put plastic bags over my socks.

When we came back inside the shoes went on the heater but my socks and feet were still warm and dry.

It may have been a "here to there" option for the guy. Another case of dressing for the destination, not the weather.

Note, I am not defending sandals with socks or sandals with street clothes. Men should wear big boy shoes.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps the plastic wasn't so much a fashion statement as an act of necessity;he wasn't aware that it was going to rain so he had on sandals...the plastic bags were readily available...he didn't want to have wet feet...
We've all been caught in the rain before.:)

Feraud

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
When I was a wee lass, we all used to go to school with bread wrappers on our feet to keep the snow and slush from leaking thru our boots.

*Boots* though. Not sandals.
I know some Boy Scouts who use this technique too. Not bread wrappers, but plastic bags.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Here's another look not to emulate:

IMG_2806.jpg

Obviously the coffee was ineffective...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Sandals with socks

My brother is a long term resident of Germany and has adaptd to the socks with sandls gig. I think the English do it too. It is a seriously bad look - but striped socks????

When he comes Down Under we discourage it but he says it 'bequem' - ie comfortable. Comfort before fashion????

Bill O'Rights

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
When I was a wee lass, we all used to go to school with bread wrappers on our feet to keep the snow and slush from leaking thru our boots.
I used to put bread wrappers on my feet, before going hunting (again...under boots ;) ) When your feet get wet in the field, you're miserable for the rest of the day. And often...there ain't no goin' back for dry socks.

Rooster

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:

*Boots* though. Not sandals.
Yep, me too!:eusa_clap

Renee

Familiar Face
cookie said:
My brother is a long term resident of Germany and has adaptd to the socks with sandls gig. I think the English do it too. It is a seriously bad look - but striped socks????

Yes, I've seen more socks worn with sandals here than anywhere else I've ever lived. German men also wear really short shorts.

When I lived in Italy, you could always spot the German tourists by their shoes and their shorts. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner