Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't want to be (seen as) a wannabe!

Hell's Belle

New in Town
I have always loved the 40s and 50s and am a sucker for a pretty, poofy dress. I have recently committed to a vintage style over the last year or so and have started going all out...red nails and lippys, wet sets, pin curls and vintage-inspired hair styles, saddle oxfords, brooches, cardis, etc. My wardrobe leaves a lot to be desired at this point, as I cannot afford to shop as much as I'd like. But I'll get there.

My issue is, as a vintage fledgling, I am still searching for my style. I seem to lean more towards rockabilly some days and soft 40s vintage on others. I've been road-testing looks at work (I work with a bunch of fellas, so unless it's a dress, they don't give a hoot) and at friend's houses, but I have yet to venture out in the world really. Not around other vintage people.

So here is my question...What can I do to avoid looking "wannabe-ish" when I go to see The Rev next month? I recently read a blog post where a girl said she saw a bunch of "hot rockabilly messes" at a show. I know I should not care, but by golly, I don't want to be one of those chicks. Any advice, girls?

Mumette

New in Town
Oh, I'm on the same boat as you! I've worn the red lippie for years because my religious parents HATE it, but when it comes to the clothes and such...I have not one vintage piece! I have no idea where to go and my searches at local thrift stores has been futile. Can you believe they are starting to actually modernize Goodwill?!

Hell's Belle

New in Town
I have scored some great cardis at Goodwill. It's worth a look. My best score ever was at a little resale shop in Nowhere, Texas. I got my beloved petticoat there for $10 and it was vintage...swoon! So, check your local thrift stores and go in those little shops around your town and dig. Vintage stores KNOW what they have and price accordingly. But resale shops run by little old ladies are a gold mine!

And I absolutely LOVE your reason for wearing red lipstick! You're inner bad girl is as restless as mine, it seems!

Mumette

New in Town
Haha, my inner bad girl had my parents running around in fear when I was younger! I'm 21 now but then, I used to do the cat eyes to make my dad cringe and the red lippies to upset all the old biddies at Synagogue. He used to beg me to not do my eyes so heavy and turn my bag upside down for my lipstick tubes.

springolator

New in Town
the answer is don't fret about it!
you have to remember that EVERYBODY started out somewhere - we all came into it from various walks of life and its just something that develops!
Some people tend to forget that they were a 'newbie' once, so go and have some fun!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Be yourself? If you feel like you're in a costume it'll show. Don't wear something you think looks silly. Maybe it's because I'm older, but I could care less if someone thought i was a "mess." I usually play it up anyway! :D

Mumette

New in Town
I think I'm going to hit up some of the older thrift shops. A few years ago I got a beautiful black pencil skirt with a great corset detailing on the back but it was stolen at my college's communal laundromat :(

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
There are two ways to spot wannabes... look for the ones with the most fear and the ones who proclaim too much. What I mean by this is if you act insecure than the style wears you and people will see that. If you proclaim your pinup-ness too much like carshow leg humpers you'll be outed as a wannabe as well. Like Amy said, just be yourself. Wear what you want. I go between vintage pure 40's, rockabilly, and 80's Madonna. I don't apologize for any of it! This, for me, is beyond my style too. Although, I am ashamed of my crush on Scooby Douche, Zak Bagans. LOL

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I wear mostly jeans -- lol. Then I'll go through a phase where I'll wear 30s dresses that I've made. Then other times I'll be a total hot rockabilly mess! BTW -- I'm totally going to be saying that all the time now.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Mumette! For me the RAB Mess is usually a chick who tries too hard. Struts around in the same stop staring dress that everyone has like it's a couture 1 of a kind, hair's all a mess because she thinks she has mastered rolls, but hasn't. I usually see these broads as the car show leg humper types. The ones who wear underwear to a car show (and are NOT promoting anything) hoping to get their photo taken -- mistaking guys with cameras as actual photographers.

Mumette

New in Town
Oh! Well I deff. don't think I'll be wearing my undies out in public, I was raised much better than that. I actually fell in love with the style because it exudes femininity without showing skin which was a must growing up in the circle I did.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
You know what makes women look like vintage "wannabes" most to me? Impractical shoes for the situation. I've seen women stand for hours in silly shoes that they can barely walk in at events and such. They always look stiff and uncomfortable.

I wear COMFORTABLE SHOES at all times. I don't care if they aren't "period correct." They are me and I like to be comfortable and on the move!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne is right! And to continue with that... just wear clothes that are appropriate for the situation! My friends and I like to joke about the Sunday's Best girls. These are the ones who go to a casual party dressed in their BEST of EVERYTHING they have. Their best dress, hat, gloves, jewelry, shoes. More wannabes (this again for the pinups) are the broads that were skimpy bikinis or swimsuits, or playsuits, or shorts when it is cold or raining out.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's possible to be *too perfect,* I think. If all you can do when you're out and about is worry that every little detail of your outfit is just-so, then chances are you aren't wearing your clothes, your clothes are wearing you. Which kind of defeats the whole purpose, I think. You don't need to be constantly fussing with your hair or makeup or checking your stocking seams or picking imaginary lint off your coat or measuring the angle of your hat so it tilts at a perfect 45 degrees, or running home to change because the waiter dropped ravioli in your lap.

The most important thing you can do is simply learn to let your Vintage Ensemble just be your clothes. All else follows from that.

Mumette

New in Town
I have a funny situation with the whole shoe issue/comment. I actually have super high arches so I usually wear heels everywhere! I gave birth to a baby girl last year and I was told to start wearing 'Mommy shoes'. I tried wearing flats but they brought me so much pain! I did get some insoles to help with my arch but nothing cuts it.

I have always worn some sort of heel to every occasion including high school. I did PE in heels, Home EC in heels, and I wore heels all through my pregnancy.

As for worrying to much about clothes....I'm a mom. I just shrug and keep on going lol

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Heels are fine if you can walk in them. I'm takling about the impractical heels or the girls who CAN'T walk in them. They always end up looking the the shoes are wearing them.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I have nothing to add to the already offered good advice. I just wanted to say I really like the phrase, "car show leg humpers."

Juliet

A-List Customer
Heh..first of all, what an informative thread! The terms "hot rockabilly mess" and "car show leg humpers" are divine! I must lead a very sheltered life)))

And I don't have any fresh advice either - just be yourself. If you're in it for the era and not to show off, I think that will be obvious in itself. And maybe there will be "nice" ladies sneering at you - but hardly because you couldn't afford to dress completely, authentically vintage. I don't think many of us can.

LizzieMaine
I tend to do that - only before I leave the house))) Double and triple-checking!!!))))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24