Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do's and Don'ts in Fashion

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I fixed them :)

I have green and purple shoes as well, though it took me ages to find them in my size! I paid a moderate amount for them; they weren't cheap but they weren't too expensive either.

I have a 1940s grey dress with a print of violet, white, blue, and green hydrangeas on it; I like to wear it with a purple belt and shoes.

I have 2 pairs of purple shoes, one pair that are really chuky platforms, very 40s and are made of purple leather! The other pair are slightly more elegant, having no platform just a nice chunky 40's heel!! And are made out of purple snakeskin and suede, those were really quite cheap, i bought them off a seller on ebay who bought them for around $90 (i know because i was watching them, but missed them!:rage: ) Then they relisted them as the were too small and I got them for the great price of $25-$30 (Can't remember which, but still very cheap!!:D )
But i know what you mean, the unusual colours go for so much more!!

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
It would be wonderful if you could find purple or green shoes (a tall order, I know,) but black or dark brown would work fine. I'd certainly try to tie in the purple hat with other accessories as well--belt, gloves, purse, and jewelry.

Here is an illustration showing matching accessories that contrast the dress color:
47b6d801b3127cce8acc8ec8a18300000015108AatmbRq2ctP

You might also look for a dress in a purple print, and wear shoes in one of the other colors in the print.

Here's an example of that:
47b6d801b3127cce8acc8ec920b200000015108AatmbRq2ctP

The purple might also look nice with a grey dress:
47b6d801b3127cce8acc8eb720cc00000025108AatmbRq2ctP

Thanks ever so much for posting these picture, i have a couple of red suits but i was always stuck with what to wear with them, I only thought that black would be the best thing to go, but grey look fab! So i'm gonna start looking for grey accessories this summer!
I LOVE the white hat with stripy trim!! It goes so well with the dress!
And I never thought of green and duck egg blue together, yellow looks nice with that colour aswell!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I also suggest navy blue with red--it looks smashing and is very WWII. I have a red gabardine dress that I like to wear with navy platforms and red, white, and blue sweetheart jewelry.

Yellow and red look smashing together as well:
47b6d801b3127cce8acce56660b000000015108AatmbRq2ctP

My purple shoes are early-mid 1940s peeptoe pumps with a Cuban heel; they are smooth leather and suede with little celluloid 'buttons' on the vamp.

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I also suggest navy blue with red--it looks smashing and is very WWII. I have a red gabardine dress that I like to wear with navy platforms and red, white, and blue sweetheart jewelry.

Yellow and red look smashing together as well:
47b6d801b3127cce8acce56660b000000015108AatmbRq2ctP

My purple shoes are early-mid 1940s peeptoe pumps with a Cuban heel; they are smooth leather and suede with little celluloid 'buttons' on the vamp.

Wow I love the yellow and the red, there are some colour combinations that you would never think of puting together, but go together oh-so well!

Yep, red and blue go fabulous together, I have a navy blue suit (the type with out a collar and just 1 button at the waist) that i'm going to wear with a navy blouse that ties into a bow at the neck with red and white strips of material, it looks so patriotic!!
I also wore out on saturday a blue and white seersucker suit (it was very hot) to a 1940/50s wedding reception, i put a little brooch that had 3 red, white and blue flowers and had a blue handbag and shoes.
Your shoes sound fab by the way!!:D

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Pink and green is a good one, too--check out the lady on the right, very stylish in her green dress, pink floral hat, and purple purse:
47b6d801b3127cce8acc8046203a00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

I also wore out on saturday a blue and white seersucker suit (it was very hot) to a 1940/50s wedding reception, i put a little brooch that had 3 red, white and blue flowers and had a blue handbag and shoes.
Is that the outfit in your avatar? It's very cute!

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Pink and green is a good one, too--check out the lady on the right, very stylish in her green dress, pink floral hat, and purple purse:
47b6d801b3127cce8acc8046203a00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Is that the outfit in your avatar? It's very cute!

That dress is so cute!!:) I especially like the hat!

Yes, thats the outfit in my avator. i actually wore this in the afternoon, but it was so, so hot i had to go home and get changed (i only live down the road so it wasn't to bad)

P1052559.jpg

Etienne

A-List Customer
You look stunning, Maisie! WOW!

And all of those pictures are wonderful, JitterbugDoll! I was just about to mention looking at vintage pattern illustrations to see great color combinations, and your pictures popped up! The green dress is heavenly!!

LaMedicine, that's the very system--Color Me Beautiful! I'm going to have to get that updated book--because the concept of "in-between" seasons is so true!!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
JitterbugDoll... I like the idea of finding a printed dress that matches the hat and then matching the shoes to another color. As easy as black is, I don't care for it as a match, but if it were patterned instead of a solid I think it could be delightful. Thank you for posting the examples. I like the idea of grey as well. I didn't at first, but looking at it again, it may be charming.

Maisie... I have size 8-8.5 feet and when it comes to shoes, I think I am more than happy to go with vintage style instead of actual vintage. I was even considering dyeing a pair of shoes to match this hat. I should post a photo it is quite lovely. Also, your dress is divine!

MysteryGal... I adore this purple hat, but it has a more 30's look than a 40's so it is harder for me to wear. I personally like wearing colored hats, but I know what you mean about wanting to stick to the darker colors.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Lolita-I'm not sure if this style is still available, but Dyeables used to make a very 40s-esque shoe called "Destiny." It had a great Cuban heel and a peep toe, and it came in a crepe fabric (called "luxe") that dyed up very nice!

This is it--but picture it with a tan heel and lining, instead of the black:
dyeables-destiny-luxe.jpg

For awhile they also had a satin shoe that looked very much like a 1930s dance or evening shoe; that one was called the "Cha Cha."
http://www.advantagebridal.com/chachabydy.html

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Bump!

Let's get some more do's and don'ts happening! I grew up with a few:

Don't wear navy blue with black;
Don't wear knee high stockings with knee length skirts (yuck*yucky*);
Don't show the toe seam of your stockings;
Don't let your bra show under your top;
Don't wear high heels with track pants.

cecil

A-List Customer
C-dot said:

You mean the seam that runs across the tips of your toes? How can one avoid that if wearing peep-toes? :(

cecil

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Vintage peep-toes didn't show anywhere near as much toe as modern ones, so the seam was less obvious.

True, they're not "peep-toes" so much as "hanging out all over the shop-toes". Hahaha!

Christy

One of the Regulars
lol The high heels and track pants made me laugh, I can just picture it!

C-dot said:

Don't wear navy blue with black;
Don't wear knee high stockings with knee length skirts (yuck*yucky*);
Don't let your bra show under your top;
Don't wear high heels with track pants.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My only "don't" is orange. I hate that colour. Everything else is game! No rules for me!

...except obvious ones like wearing clothes that don't fit, bra straps showing, too short of skirt, etc.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
backless shirts
Who the heck invented those?! put on a dang bra! Unless your Kate Hudson and have zero breast tissue. Wear something that supports those girls...you don't want them saggin' later!

jeans that come with holes in them
What the heck is the point of that?! Why do you WANT to look like you're wearing really old pants when they're brand new? Why would you waste money on hole-y pants?!

t-bar
(when the top of someones thong underpants is sticking out above the waist line of their slacks)

When pants are so low rise you need a bikini wax. Why is it so wrong for a girl of my age (23) to wear a high or midrise jean? I DON'T WANT A MUFFIN TOP WHEN I PUT MY PANTS ON!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24