Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr. JeKyL and Mr. LeXOL

HDRnR

A-List Customer
When I spoke to Dave Hansen at Langlitz he said to specifically get into the stitching to prevent rain soaking through the seams. I don't think it ever caused a problem, I know people that have been using this stuff on their Langlitz jackets religously for over twenty years.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
I have a tub of that stuff also (from Restoration Hardware). And Lederbalsalm, Lexol, boot oil, mink oil, neatsfoot, LL Bean Waterproof Dressing. A box of leather care products.

Honest, really, Pecard's is better stuff. And that's the last I'll nag. :)
After years of mixed success with Fiebing's neatsfoot, I'm ready to make the leap to something else. Is Pecard's suitable for shoes and boots as well?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
CoNFuSeD about petrol products on leather

like everyone else, i've heard the raVes about pecard's, and was about to get some, but after researching what's best on leather, the one thing stated to avoid was aNy petroleum products...

so i'm confused, since pecard's does have petroleum in it...

this was the one reason i went with a product that is mainly lanolin, and has nO petrol products in it...why is petro in leather conditioners constantly stated as a no-no, yet it's in one of the most recommended products on this forum...

soMebuDDDDDDy heLP me!

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Don't know either, I steered clear of it but I got some with my Langlitz so I use theirs and it seems just fine. I figure they know what they're talking about.

Feraud

Bartender
johnnyjohnny said:
like everyone else, i've heard the raVes about pecard's, and was about to get some, but after researching what's best on leather, the one thing stated to avoid was aNy petroleum products...

so i'm confused, since pecard's does have petroleum in it...

this was the one reason i went with a product that is mainly lanolin, and has nO petrol products in it...why is petro in leather conditioners constantly stated as a no-no, yet it's in one of the most recommended products on this forum...

soMebuDDDDDDy heLP me!
I am just as confused and am holding off until I read some clarification.
Are those overly Pecard'ed jacket going to fall apart after half a dozen years?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
For petesake, pea hens. ;)

There's ample real life experience that Pecard's is safe. The folks at VLJ back it up (unless they've changed their minds; I don't go there anymore). The folks at COW, as I remember, also use it (along with other products). It gets applied annually AT MOST, and very lightly then. Scratches go away, color is restored (without darkening), and the leather comes out soft as new. Stitching isn't damaged. It is completely odorless, easy to apply and to remove excess. I wouldn't use it on hat sweatbands - if you get it on the felt it's going to stain.

I have a box full of leather treatments and dressings I've tried. The single product I've bought a second and third time is Pecard's. Shoes, belts, jackets, wallets, key fobs, watch bands, even a dried up old saddle. The results aren't satisfactory; they are usually miraculous. It might be made of gasoline and hoof filings for all I know. It works! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran