Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress code of "white and diamonds"???

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have been invited to a fairly formal sounding birthday party (in a hotel, three course very exquisite sounding meal) and on the invitation it said please follow the strict dress code of "white and diamonds". At first I thought that it was some idiot who meant to put white tie, but that seemed too formal, and it clearly cannot have meant black tie, although that would seem appropriate to me. My friends said it meant you must wear a white suit, but I argued that there is no dress code which says you must wear a white suit. I eventually decided to ask the person I got the invitation from, and she said that it just means wear as much white as possible as I won't get in otherwise. However it can be casual, so long as it is white.

Other than shirts, I have no plain white clothes. What sort of an outfit could I wear which incorparates enough white, but doesn't look too modern (as I wouldn't be a member of this forum if I liked modern styles)?

I have considered trying to get a white dinner jacket, as that should be white enough, even with black trousers. Maybe a bit formal though? My other idea was to get a cream or off-white suit and hope that that is considered white enough. The only thing I am certain of is that I am not getting a plain white suit as that looks too modern to my eye.

I am open to any suggestions, the only must being that my Stetson Chatham (in my avatar) is incorparated in the outfit, which shouldn't be too hard as it's a nice medium grey which is extremely versatile.

Thanks
Alan

Viola

Call Me a Cab
If dinner jacket is a no go, I would go with the cream suit. I might say a white straw Panama hat or a straw boater with white band would be cool with that but since you specified hat you can ignore me as an inveterate meddler.

I would also do a white bout. and possibly pocket square with the cream.

I wouldn't worry about a white dinner jacket upsetting people who are having a white-and-diamonds party, though, if you enjoy the look. In fact I might keep the white boutinerre anyhow, just because of the theme.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Hmmm, maybe it's time to bring out the rarely seen, formal event only, Man Tiara! :D

Sounds less like a "dress code" and more like a theme - guests are to wear white clothing and diamonds. A kickier theme than a Black & White Ball. You could certainly ease a little of the worrying about what to wear and ask the host directly about the attire expected of guests.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Lily Powers said:
Hmmm, maybe it's time to bring out the rarely seen, formal event only, Man Tiara! :D

Sounds less like a "dress code" and more like a theme - guests are to wear white clothing and diamonds. A kickier theme than a Black & White Ball. You could certainly ease a little of the worrying about what to wear and ask the host directly about the attire expected of guests.
I have no idea where the diamonds come in (maybe diamond cufflinks?) but I was told we wouldn't be let in if we didn't have enough white. I think it's the hotel venue that made that rule, not the host.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
How about a light beige suit, a white (either plain or subtly striped) shirt, and this tie?
222722.jpg

Shoes would probably be light brown brogues. As suggested, a white cotton pocket square. If I wear a shirt with French cuffs then my brass '50s cufflinks, they're not too flashy so they can work both formally and casually. And of course, as I insisted, my Stetson Chatham.

I can't post pics of the outfit yet as I still need to get a suit (I found a shop which is selling good suits for a fifth of the real price). So before I spend the money, can I have the opinions on whether this will work? And whether it will be white enough?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
better stick with white...

I'm assuming from your posts that a cream or lt beige outfit won't cut it. Ditto on wearing colors (such as black pants) with the white being only a white shirt and a white pocket square. The diamonds are probably aimed for the gals to wear!

As others have somewhat already mentioned, this invite's requirements and the affair itself sounds more like a silly costume party than a swanky vintage affair.

I would suggest you don't bother with buying a white suit or a dinner jacket either. Go the thrift shop route and find for cheap a pair of 70s or 80s white pants. If you were to go Golden Era vintage- it probably wouldn't be appreciated. Sorry that we may be bursting your bubble...

DerMann

Practically Family
Go 'round to the fabric store and buy 4 yards or so of the brightest white canvas or muslin you can find.

Wrap yourself in it and BAM, authentic toga candida.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I agree with the toga idea, sounds fun!

Seriously, this is one of the occassions when I´m really glad I´m only vintage inspired. For me, it would be probably white linen suit and maybe a green shirt, I´d even consider wearing a modern tie (maybe a grey and green stripes, sounds horrible, but it may work).

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
THEME PARTY! = Fun Time!

I hesitate to ask but was it "White and Diamonds" or a "White Diamond" party?
The dress code would be similar, but the intent of the party different, and you may be in for a surprise. I am assuming since you (male) were invited it is the former and not the latter. ;) You may want to ask about the theme as it may or may not have other intonation's.

I would guess from your description of the invitation that outfits are probably expected to be after 5' ish cocktail attire. However you may want to check again with the hostess for specificness. I differ with the, I hope, "tongue in cheek" answers of a Toga, not a good idea.

The White means just that, WHITE!
I understand your dilemma, but if you wish to go, respect your host and get a white outfit, even if it is modern. If you can piece together a vintage or vintage inspired one so much the better for you. The host has indicated, as you said, that they will be screening the guests and those not up to snuff , white clothing wise, will be excluded. So be prepared. Sometimes silver as an accessory color is sometimes acceptable.

The Diamond part means lots of mostly inexpensive Costume Jewelry /paste /CZ type stuff, unless your fabulously rich,
For a man that would be rings with clear stones like fake diamonds, maybe a tie clasp, cuff links, a stick pin. Think gaudy, really gaudy. Pimping comes to mind as a descriptive term. Think ZZ Top's "cause every girl crazy 'bout Sharp Dressed Man" video.

Do a search for "White Party" and you will get the idea about the dress code. P-Diddy throws one each year at the Hampton's, and NO they wont let in anyone with other than white on, in. Girls have been know to toss there clothes and wear pined on dinner napkins for a outfit just to get in when they are told the invitations said White and we meant White. As in Go Home And Change, Stupid!

I've been to a couple of clothing themed party's and they were great fun.
Personally; I'd wear a shiny white tone on tone Zoot suit.

There are several spins on the theme as in Black and White, White, White and Diamonds , etc. As an example here locally, in my area of Texas, they do a "Denim and Diamonds" high end fundraiser event annually. Think black tie with Jeans and Cowboy boots.

Don't forget "YOU" were invited to a "PARTY!"

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Perhaps it doesn't need to be stark white. I have a pair of cream colored chinos that are almost (arguably) white.

If you wear other token items that are white, you might also get by without a white jacket. I have a white necktie, for example. I don't know why in the world I bought it when I did, as I couldn't conceive of a possible use for it, but it would work for your "white and diamonds" party. A cheap white panama would work well, too.

If you wear argyle socks, you'll have your "diamonds" as well. ;)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It was "white and diamonds" rather than "white diamonds". The host has said that jeans and a white top is acceptable, which is why I think a white tux with black trousers should be fine. And that suggests that it doesn't have to be too formal either, though I could probably get away with formal if I wanted to. If I can find one (the local vintage store seemed to have one if I can remember) I might get a white tux. I'll ask the host about a cream suit as an alternative. While I would be the only vintage person, I usually am. My friends all know and for the most part appreciate me for dressing somewhat eccentrically.

Just a question if I get a white tux. Burgundy cummerbund is allowed isn't it? And the trousers are just normal black ones with a stripe on the side?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like the type of group where wearing off-white, ivory, etc. is going to be a topic of discussion. I'd go for pure white. Since they said casual...big white boxers, white A-shirt, white bathrobe...or the aforementioned toga. Or does the "no white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day" bit followed in the UK, as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21