Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirts ... just dress shirts

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
D Gambini said:
dont know if this is a dress shirt but i need help with finding a shirt like this...the shirt on the man on the right

No, it's not a dress shirt. The collar style is meant to be worn open, sans tie. Shirtmakers have various names for the style, Paul Stuart calls it their Cooper shirt. Finding one with a besom breast pocket, like the one in the photo, at RTW will be a sticky wicket.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I find that when I wear pointed collar shirts, my frame is rather small and the points look a bit silly on me.

I'm trying to find a spread collar that has a bit more of a pointed appearence than others...

any suggestions?

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
See how his collar seems to be from around 50 years earlier? What is this, a detached wing collar? Was anyone except him wearing them in 1940?

I would say that's exactly what it is; they were extremely popular in the Victorian era, about 60-70 years earlier, although they remained popular past the turn of the century. By 1940, probably very few people wore them in daily life, except of course Mr. Chamberlain. Incidentally, their cutaway morning coats are also VERY Victorian. I'm currently wanting to get a wingtip collared shirt myself, as I love all things Victorian.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I have five standard white french cuffed dress shirts by Paul Fredrick. The fit and cut are good, though the broadcloth is a little thin for my tastes. But for the price, their shirts are a good deal. Wouldn't tangle with any of their suiting though. While they offer a wider than average selection of double breasted and three piece suits, I'd wager they are all glued together polyester.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I have five standard white french cuffed dress shirts by Paul Fredrick. The fit and cut are good, though the broadcloth is a little thin for my tastes. But for the price, their shirts are a good deal. Wouldn't tangle with any of their suiting though. While they offer a wider than average selection of double breasted and three piece suits, I'd wager they are all glued together polyester.

The ones I saw are all pure wool, but as for the quality of the construction, that I have no idea about.

Gene

Practically Family
dont know if this is a dress shirt but i need help with finding a shirt like this
Jarmusch.jpg

the shirt on the man on the right

If you're still with us, or for anyone who cares, the shirt John Lurie is wearing in this picture is a sports shirt very popular in the late 50's/early 60's. The collar was a simple roll from the shirt and was never really meant to be worn buttoned.

Examples of originals here:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/95984905/vintage-1950s-mens-blue-embroidered
http://www.etsy.com/listing/76436554/vintage-1950s-capri-of-california

Sorry, back to dress shirts now, just had to chime in as I love this style of shirt!

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
The ones I saw are all pure wool

I stand corrected. I was just assuming from the prices. If you pick up one of their suits and like it, let me know. Regarding their shirts - I also appreciate their wider variety of interesting patterns - a bit like an American Charles Tyrwhitt.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I stand corrected. I was just assuming from the prices. If you pick up one of their suits and like it, let me know. Regarding their shirts - I also appreciate their wider variety of interesting patterns - a bit like an American Charles Tyrwhitt.

Well, I think I might pick up one of their basic french cuff shirts one of these days since it's very hard to find french cuff shirts at all around here, let alone for a reasonable price, and I inherited all these nifty cufflinks I want to try out! ^.^ I'll return to this thread with info if I go ahead with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy