Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for the Holiday / Christmas party season

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
Inky, you will be stunning !!!
I have the hem and a bow to go to finish my Christmas party dress.

GGirl...the suspense is killing me! Make sure you post a pic when she's done. I loved your satin dress with the cascade so I can't wait to see what you create this time!

Well, I can't do much this Christmas but I think I've got next year's outfit! lol That gives me a whole year to find shoes and a bag!

Inky you must post picks of this when you are all dolled up! I'm sure you will look smashing!
BTW....how did you make that little collage? Very nifty!

Since I don't have time to make my plaid taffeta dream dress for this year I have decided to wear a 50's black cocktail dress that I got this year. I need help deciding on shoes and how to do my hair...any tips?
Here is the dress; there is a satin bow detail under the attached rhinestone button. I am wearing sling backs in the pic with a bow and peep toe, but I was thinking maybe something more festive? (ignore the background clutter. I was sewing that day:eek: )
4194154770_88898f475a_b.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
the party is this weekend and i hope there will be many pics!

The collage is from Kaboodle.com - very useful for visualizing and also wish lists. when i see something on a website i like i click a button in my tool bar and poof, it's saved in my kaboodle for later review.

i love a good little black dress. that looks smashing on you. the sparkly pin makes me think....could you whip up a silver yarn snood? or a black snood with a silver bow? maybe something silvery on your shoes like clipping a couple small pins on the slingbacks you are wearing? or silver shoes. I'm clearly all about the sparkle right now and black and silver looks so crisp together.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I like the sling back with the silhouette of the dress. Just a thought...could you work rhinestone shoe clips which would subtly echo the sparkle of the button accent at the neck?

Hair...I'm on NO position to give advice, but I do like a side part and soft waves, tuck the smaller side behind your ear and show off a killer earring!

I agree Cherry Red - lovely dress on you!

One neat trick if you want to add a splash of color would be to tack some gorgeous red ribbon or fabric under the edge of that neckline - instant holiday dress! This layered look was not uncommon at all in the Golden Era and you could tie it in with some red accessories.

However, the rhinestones are great too, and a silvery snood with be gorgeous.

Lillemor

One Too Many
A pale pink crepe chiffon dress with the long black chiffon jacket or I could use a black retro lace covered top with a wide retro 50s black dressy skirt for Christmas Eve with ballerinas. Then I could wear a lace covered retro 50s top, with some black leggings my mom bought me that have lace at the bottom and buttons on the sides and the black chiffon jacket with heels for NY Eve. I'll pair whatever with vintage costume jewelry, go classic on the make-up but I've no idea what to do with my hair that won't upset my scalp.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've decided I do need something for Christmas day! I bought some fabric yesterday and I'm fitting the muslin today. I just finished a basic black skirt and the jacket will be a gray, black and cranberry plaid suiting. It won't scream Christmas, but I'll be able to wear it all winter.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Here here! I love Chantilly lace, it's so elegant. You're gonna look stunning :eusa_clap

Look what I got in the mail today :D

Black_Tartan_str_4add981fef75f.jpg

It's so perfect for Christmas!

Christy

One of the Regulars
Inky, I love the look you put together, those shoes are amazing, and I really like the dress too.

Goldwyn Girl, I am jealous of that lovely dress you made!

C-dot, that skirt is perfect for you!

As for me, I have no idea what I'm going to wear for Christmas. Holidays are pretty informal in my family and I generally look way overdressed even if I'm only wearing a sweater and jeans because of my hair and makeup. Thanksgiving I wore a red sweater and blacks slacks, I ended up wearing the same sweater and dark jeans to a Christmas party for my mom's side of the family. Red is my favorite color to wear, so that's probably why I picked it twice, I feel most comfortable in that color. I'll probably wear a green sweater that I like on me for Christmas. lol I would like to wear a dress, but I don't have any holiday looking ones.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Oh, I just realized I do have a dress I can wear. It's not as vintage looking as I'd like. It's more casual and comfortable, but I'd still look overdressed. Mine has a rose and horseshoe embroidered on each shoulder instead of the sparrow.
DerbyDollRed4.JPG

Evelyn Ellenor

New in Town
I just found the most gorgeous 60s (I believe) Cocktail dress and matching overcoat in an OpShop 2 days ago to wear to my xmas party tomorrow night!

Although I need some help. I would like to wear gloves and but I don't know what colour or what they're meant to match. I am thinking that the most appropriate shoes I own are my low heel black t-straps.

Also should I wear a cocktail hat or put my hair up like Audrey Hepburns in Breakfast at Tiffany's?

So many choices!!

TealVintage60sDress.jpg
TealVintage60sOvercoat.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats