Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dressing up?

Naama

Practically Family
For tomorrow, I'm invited to a costume party. I just found out today that you have to come dressed up :eek: But, I have no money nor do I have any ideas... Does anybody know of something I could do without much money/stress?

thank for any idea!

Naama

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I dressed up as Carmen Miranda one year. I made a turban and stuck some silk peonies in it, wore a wraparound blouse hiked up to just under the bustline, and a long skirt. I darkened my eyebrows, borrowed some big earrings and wore red lipstick.

That night, when I got home, I looked in the mirror and saw my mother. :eek:

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Harems-Lady: You basically just need a blouse, trousers (or long silken scarves) and a veil for your face.

Sailor: Sailorpants, cute shirt and if you find one a sailor-hat or a cute blue hat.

Devil: You basically just need any outfit in red and some horns.

Showgirl: A corsage and a fluffy skirt.

Helau :)

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Gangster girl - pinstripe skirt/shorts/trousers & jacket, shirt, tie, fedora, watergun tucked into garter...;)

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
If you have a friend and some orient/harem-ish costume, the two of you can dress up as Salome and John the Baptists head on a platter. One of you does haremclothes and is Salome. The other one paints on/puts on a beard, makes a platter out of cardboard and sticks his head through, add some "blood" and preferably dresses in black to "hide" the body. Hey presto: John the Baptists head on a platter. I won a price for this costume once.

Head-on-a-platter-costumes are very easy to do, and some consepts work great for one person as well. You can be Mime`s talking, severed head. Mime was a dwarf in Norse mythology, who guarded the well of wisdom. (Apply called "Mimes Well". ) The gods enemies got angry with him and chopped his head of, but chief god Odin reanimated Mimes head, so he can still talk and think. Very neat!

Just dress up as suggested with John the Baptist and go around all nigh saying "wise" things.

If all else fails, go as "The naked truth." (You do have this expression in english, don't you?) Just paint "Truth" on your naked body.:p My husband did this once, only he chickened out, put his boxers on and had to be the half naked truth instead....

Good luck!

G

GoldLeaf

An 80's rocker girl. Tease your hair all over, wear lots of blue eyeshadow and a band t-shirt with a low slung belt over it with some acid-washed jeans that have big rips all over the knees.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I once saw someone with a ton of purple balloons taped to a black outfit, and was a bunch of grapes. If you feel like a silly costume.[huh]

Or your could go as a gypsy, wear a long, flowy skirt, and midriff blouse, with bracelets and scarves and big coin earrings.

G

GoldLeaf

Wear all black with a face mask - you could be a robber. Or a ninja.

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
I'm going to a fancy dress party in a couple of weeks as the Venus De Milo; I'm wearing a low slung study belt I can drape a metre and a half of silver satin over (a white sheet would work the same), a flesh toned bra and I'm covering myself in white face paint, putting my hair in a bun a covering it with white hairspray, or at a push talcum powder, and wearing long black evening gloves to look like I have no arms :D

It's a pretty simple costume to do, fairly cheap and if you want to borrow the idea, copyright it to me :rolleyes:

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
There's always the "Animal House" solution to party attire: Toga! Toga! Toga!

hehe

I once went to a costume party wearing an oversized pink jacket (think The Pink Ladies- but longer) with the sleeves rolled with a pair of black pegged pants, black tshirt and black ballet flats. Then I did my hair up in a pomp with a curly ponytail tied up with a pink scarf. I threw on my catseye glasses, darkened my eyebrows, bright red lipstick and really chomped on some bubble gum. Carry around either a blowdryer or pair of scissors and a comb and go as a hair dresser!

Shearer

Practically Family
I'll second the 80's rocker look. I successfully pulled that off for a party once with some help from a Goodwill style store. Cut the neck off a grey sweatshirt and you have Jennifer Beals a la Flashdance. And don't forget the pearly pink Wet 'n' Wild lipstick from any drugstore.

Every year I try to pressure some man, any man I know into wearing a white t-shirt, jeans, and a nametag that says "Sue."

No one's complied yet :(

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Clara Noir said:
I'm going to a fancy dress party in a couple of weeks as the Venus De Milo; I'm wearing a low slung study belt I can drape a metre and a half of silver satin over (a white sheet would work the same), a flesh toned bra and I'm covering myself in white face paint, putting my hair in a bun a covering it with white hairspray, or at a push talcum powder, and wearing long black evening gloves to look like I have no arms :D
This sounds adorable! I was wondering what you were going to do about the arms! I hope I can try this out some time. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy