Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drinks: Winter Warmers and Medicinal Magic

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
During the long winter months, there are a couple of drinks that I turn to for comfort when the cold winds are howling and the snow is blowing heavy.

One old favorite is the Hot Toddy, which I make with Rye whiskey, freshly-squeezed lemon juice, honey to taste, and boiling water to fill the mug. Great on cold evenings, and also wonderful when your throat is feeling a little sore.

The other is a homemade apricot liqueur, or as I like to call it, Mom’s Magic Elixir. My mother picks up locally-grown dried apricots from her supplier when she’s out in Monterey, CA, every summer, and drops them off to me on her way back home. In early autumn, I take 3 cups of the apricots and place them in an apothecary jar into which almost 2 cups of sugar has been dissolved into a fifth of vodka. Seal it and let it sit for at least 9 weeks. I drain the apricots and decant the liqueur into a bottle, and then immediately put a second batch on, as it usually takes 2 bottles to get through the long winters here.

I’ll keep a flask of the elixir in my pocket when shoveling snow, to keep my throat coated with the syrupy goodness and quell any coughing fits. I also keep a bottle by the bed whenever I’m sick, as it works like magic to keep from coughing all night.

The drained apricots make dandy snacks with a little kick, or they can be used in muffins and breads, or diced onto ice cream.

What other traditional and non-traditional drinks do you folks rely upon for the cold winter months?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hot toddies are my personal favorite. I try to stay away from drinks that use refined sugar, which can increase mucous production (this is why singers stay away from sugar and dairy on performance days).

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
It's a weird one, something my Dad started, but when I have a fever or I'm really cold, I put a little bit of Bailey's in my tea instead of milk. I know, sacrilege! but it tastes really good, and boosts my internal temp quickly!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hot buttered rum

When I come in from cross country skiing (which I have to admit I haven't done in YEARS . . . ), or any other really nose freezing activity, I make my self hot buttered rum. Take a mug, put a tsp of sugar, a pat of butter and an ounce or two of rum. Fill with boiling water. Tap a little nutmeg on top. Put your tootsies near the fire, get comfy and start sipping. Pick a spot where you'll want to stay for a while, because about halfway through you'll realize you can't move. This is a good feeling.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not for light weights !

Here's another vote for hot buttered rum. I like to make mine in a quart mug (yes, that's right a QUART - if you're going to drink, might as well do it up right).

When I was big into the 18th century thing, I'd make a "Burke County Hot Buttered Rum" and make it "Methodist style" (that's just a "sprinkle" of water - no sense in diluting good rum). ;)

I fill the quart mug almost full with dark rum, add a couple big spoon fulls of brown sugar, a dollop of butter, and just a dash of water. Into the mixture plunge a red-hot flip iron that has been heating in the open fire. The drink will sizzle and boil, and the red-hot iron will carmalize the sugar.

Now, drink up and enjoy that extra warm feeling. Sitting by the fire, drinking hot buttered rum with friends - it don't get no better than that!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Posset

When I was in "Noises Off" last year I discovered a new word, posset. "The place is an old converted posset mill." I thought it ws made up, but I Googled it nonetheless. Wow! Leave it to those olde Englishers to come up with a drink that's basically 20 heart attacks in a single mug. It made of eggs, egg yolks, cream, more eggs. more cream, a pint of sack, cinnamon, etc., etc. You cook it up and put in into a special mug with hole in the side (I'm not making this up!). It sounds absolutely devoon. Here's a link:
http://www.historicfood.com/Posset Recipes.htm

Give me the old Tom and Jerry. :cheers1:

24 eggs
1/2 jigger rum
2 lb powdered sugar
1/2 jigger brandy
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 oz vanilla

To make the batter: beat egg whites stiff with electric beator. Add sugar gradually. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Add in half of the eggs yolks, and blend until smooth.

In a large mug fill with 1/2 batter, 2 shots of [60% rum and 40% brandy]. Balance with boiling hot water. Stir well and sprinkle with nutmeg.

You can also just buy the batter at BevMo instead. ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
While I am fond of Hot Buttered Rum (must have one with Big Man some day) The following is my favorite for colds, the sniffles, and general aches and pains.

A cup of hot tea with a wedge of lemon, a tsp of honey, and 1 1/2 oz Jameson Irish Whiskey.

It's best to get comfortable if you're having more than one. I doubt that it cures anything but you do get a nice rosy glow.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Here's another vote for Hot Buttered Rum, but our recipe is a bit different:

1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup softened vanilla ice cream

Mix together and refreeze.

When you're ready to drink it put a scoop of the ice cream mix (abt 1/3 cup or so) in a mug, add a jigger or two of rum, and fill up with boiling water.

---------------------
Water is a good drink if taken in the right spirit. ~Irish Proverb

dnjan

One Too Many
Coming from a climate that is more damp and clammy than out right cold, I prefer an evening glass of port.

After all, it has worked for the Brits for centuries ...

donCarlos

Practically Family
Anything with rum... (and by rum, i mean czech rum - brown, very aromatic,quite sweet liquid with 37,5% of alcohol, not allowed to be called rum by EU)

For example coffee with rum (that´s what I´m enjoying right now), or the "bear milk" - warm milk, vanilla sugar and a significant ammount of rum.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't do much in the way of mixers. My favorite cold weather drink is a neat scotch, bourbon, or brandy warmed.

donCarlos, the "bear's milk" sounds intriguing but I have not seen Czech rum in any liquor stores in my area.

(And anyway, what does the EU know about anything regional; striving for mediocrity in food and beverage seems to be their game.)

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
sweetfrancaise said:
It's a weird one, something my Dad started, but when I have a fever or I'm really cold, I put a little bit of Bailey's in my tea instead of milk. I know, sacrilege! but it tastes really good, and boosts my internal temp quickly!

my sister starts this in coffee from mid november with the reason "its christmas" !!!!!!:eek:

i love mulled wine after having /making it in Germany, makes me feel all warm in side! but being on my own i dont really make it although a few yrs ago i found a nice bottle already mixed at Lidels (cheap supermarket in UK)..:D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
It was good enough for the girls and gents crossing the Atlantic by plane in the 30's and 40's with first touchdown Gallway, Ireland - and it's good enough for me: The Irish Coffe.:coffee:

benstephens

Practically Family
I agree Spitfire, although, spending a lot of time in Scotland I have been told to call it a Gaelic Coffee.

It is, I think the best winter drink there is!

BEn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran