Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drinks: Winter Warmers and Medicinal Magic

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Come to think of it. In Denmark there is a thing called: "En lille sort" - a small black one.
It's a traditional drink for people working outdoors all year round. Farmers, bricklayers etc.
You take a cup. Place a small coin at the bottom. Then you pour coffe untill you no longer see the coin. After that you pour snaps - aquavite - untill you see the coin again. To be served hot! Enjoy.
(Don't swallow the coin, it can be re-used.)

donCarlos

Practically Family
Spitfire - The coins are dirty and they taste bad, don´t they? Otherwise than that, good idea, I´ll try it.

Mr. Paladin - As far as I know, this "czech rum" isn´t available anywhere else (maybe except Poland and Slovakia) in the world. My grandaunt lives in British Columbia and she always brings some bottles from Prague... When she lived in Quebec, we were there for a visit and we had to bring 6 bottles of rum and 3 bottles of becherovka. Thank God for more than tollerant officer in the airport lol
Back to the topic - You can try it with any rum available, It may not be the same, but still... And imagine how sleepy you´ll get!

tempestbella42 Mulled wine, that´s something! How could I forget it? Our college has two buildings, the distance is about 20 minutes of walk. It´s scientificaly proven that these 20 minutes can easily become 60 minutes, depending on quantity of stalls with mulled wine on the way. (and some of us don´t even make it to the other building...).
One advice - don´t buy the bottled mulled wine and don´t even think of the "tea bags" packages! It´s easy to make your own, you say you´ve already done it. I don´t know the german recipe, but we make it from wine, sugar (lots of sugar), cinnamon (whole stick) and rose-apple.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
benstephens said:
I agree Spitfire, although, spending a lot of time in Scotland I have been told to call it a Gaelic Coffee.

It is, I think the best winter drink there is!

BEn

its named by what ever alcohol you have in, doesnt have to be whiskey...Gaelic can be either Irish or scottish whiskey,
Jamaican coffee=Dark rum
Russian= vodka

the rest elude me..but know you can make with Cointrieu too...

Don Carlos: thats the same recipe ive used, but with oranges in to!, the trick is not too let it boil!!:eusa_doh:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
donCarlos said:
Spitfire - The coins are dirty and they taste bad, don´t they? Otherwise than that, good idea, I´ll try it.

Yep, coins are dirty - but with that amount of alcohol, I think they will be clean.
It's not the germs from the coin that'll kill you - its the aquavite slol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
My vote is for aquavit, and Norwegian linie aquavit especially. Many's the time that I've come inside in Norway during a winter storm and had one or three.

If it's been very cold and we've been out in the snow, we'll come in and have a sauna and then some aquavit. End up nice and warm on the inside and the outside.

donCarlos

Practically Family
It seems like I´ll have to get some of that Aquavite. Seems to be quite universal... It seems rather hard to get around here, but I´ll manage. It will surely be one of New Year´s Eve highlights

TexDavid

New in Town
Two different Hot Tipples

OK, two hot rum drinks that are a bit different, but very tasty. [Credit to Charles Schumann -- recipes from his book, "American Bar"]

Hot Jamaican
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 oz. simple syrup
2 oz. dark rum

Heat very slowly and only slightly (so as not to evaporate the anti-freeze!)
Pour in heat-proof glass, fill with boiling water
Serve with lime slice studded with whole cloves and impaled on a cinnamon stick! Enjoy!

Jean Gabin
1 1/2 oz. dark rum
3/4 oz. Calvados
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Heat very slowly (as above)
Pour in heat-proof glass, fill with very hot milk
Sprinkle with nutmeg
Put on your beret and sip-to-enjoy!

Here's to a warm holiday!!

David

rkwilker

One Too Many
I love small batch, single barrell whiskey...on the rocks...no additives. A good one is smooth with just a little burn. Great to warm you up on a cold winter's night. Must sip slowly to enjoy....remember, this is not a race. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran