Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

kpreed

One of the Regulars
On the brakes, the number one issue I found was Plymouth's single res. master cylinder, A very, very risky idea indeed.( an upgrade is not stock, but much safer for all) I adapted a new Ford double res. from a Mustang or was it a Ranger? I forget now, but it works great! And no rear enders because a wheel cylinder blew out in a hard stop or with a leaky brake hose (I have seen both with folks who did not think a brake upgrade was important and they are ugly and pricey). Also, I could not find a drop spindle made for a Plymouth then, so I put in my Coupe, a cut down pair of coil springs from my parts-car 4-door and 14" rims from a Studebaker on the front and 15" Ford wagon rims the rear (both have the same bolt pattern). It lowered it plenty and did not effect my steering,and steering can be a big problem, if done wrong.
Plymouths I have had:
3-1940, 2 4-dr, 1 coupe
2-1941, 1 4-dr, 1 S.D.
4 1946-48 2 4-dr, 1 Bus. coupe, 2 club coupe
1-1951 Concord Bus.coupe
1-1952 Concord Bus.coupe
1-1955 Bel. Sport coupe
Just my 2¢

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Thanks David, I'll check into that, I've already put a word into my speed shop buddy with a request for more stopping power. I'll pass this info on to him as well.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Thanks Kpreed, Nice collection of plymouths you've owned, I'm jeolous. My speed shop buddy already called with the front disc conversion plans and a price quote. I guess in the interest of safety I'll have to save the seat upholstery plans for next winter and spend the dough on the brakes!
I've also got a 51 International truck sittin over by my barn, I'll get some pics posted. Near the barn! not in it!! I watched it sit in a farmers field for almost ten years then one day stopped and asked about it. He said I could have it for the trouble it would cause me to drag it from his field!! Now it sits in my field!!!!!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I've also got a 51 International truck sittin over by my barn, I'll get some pics posted. Near the barn! not in it!! I watched it sit in a farmers field for almost ten years then one day stopped and asked about it. He said I could have it for the trouble it would cause me to drag it from his field!! Now it sits in my field!!!!!

I have a real soft spot for the L110 Internationals. Largely because of this one (a '50):

001.jpg

-Dave

Talbot

One Too Many
Thanks Kpreed, Nice collection of plymouths you've owned, I'm jeolous. My speed shop buddy already called with the front disc conversion plans and a price quote. I guess in the interest of safety I'll have to save the seat upholstery plans for next winter and spend the dough on the brakes!

Have you considered NOS aftermarket seat covers?

IMGP1117.jpg

IMGP1111.jpg

These are Howard Zinc Styline 600 seat covers. I got mine a long time back but they pop up on ebay from time to time. You can get some pretty wild plaids too!

The fit can be a bit average in spots and hog rings are required to fit 'em, but its better than folks tearing clothes on seat springs. Boy, my old shoebox is sounding better by the day:rolleyes:!

Good call on the brakes. Less hassle than painting Joie Chitwood down the side of the car;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Dukes Of Hazzard

This is what I wanna be crusin' in one of these days. Hopefully soon!

1959_cadillac_series_60_special_fleetwood_20_sb.jpg

1959_cadillac_series_60_special_fleetwood_24_sb.jpg
Be sure to measure your garage first! Several years ago, I was offered a 1959 four door cheap, I measured it, then went home and started to measure, I ended up about three feet outside my garage, and if I wanted to get out, well, Dukes of Hazzard!

I keep my Buick in one of my parents garages in the winter, and the door barely clears the front bumper. I don't have a garage personally, and have always said if I built one, it would be wider and deeper than a normal one because of my fondness of 'boats'. My first car was a 60 Bel-Air 4-door when I was 16 and there was no turning back!

Be sure to measure your garage first! Several years ago, I was offered a 1959 four door cheap, I measured it, then went home and started to measure, I ended up about three feet outside my garage, and if I wanted to get out, well, Dukes of Hazzard!

HOP UP

Vendor
Talbot ...Im looking forward to her getting here carnal.....and doing some taildraggin !! Im in the Sth East - she's gonna see some serious milaege !!

David,...yeah I've seen that thread on Bombs on the HAMB....super kool huh?

HOP UP

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Hey Dave, that's pretty much exactly the look that I am hoping for when I get to the International project. It looks Identical but without the box and on a Much larger frame. I was thinking of finding a donor Chevy S-10 and peeling the body and box off.
Talbot, thanks for the tip on the seat covers, I really like them, think I'll start scouring the auction sites for a set!
Hop up, THAT is the BOMB!!! I spend a lot of time looking at those late forties Chevys for styling cues that I might be able to adapt to my plymouth, I absolutely love those cars! I often wish I had been more patient in my search for a classic or that I had a lot more money and could get a few more. An expensive Hobby!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Hey Dave, that's pretty much exactly the look that I am hoping for when I get to the International project. It looks Identical but without the box and on a Much larger frame. I was thinking of finding a donor Chevy S-10 and peeling the body and box off.

The S10 long-box frame seems to be a swap well suited for early ‘50s pickups. The AD Chevies, in particular, almost seem like the S-series chassis was designed for them.

Does your Cornbinder have the enlarged wheel wells like a lot of heavy trucks? If so, what do you plan to do for rear fenders?

I’ve always thought that the 18- to 20-inch wheels the big trucks came with are almost a necessity if you stick with the large-opening fenders. Thankfully, the modern craze for donk-size rims on hot rods means a traditional-looking steel wheel is now available that will take a ‘50s hubcap and mount to a ½ ton bolt pattern, and I presume could even mount period rubber. You also get to ditch the infamous “widowmaker” split rims that so many tire shops will seize and destroy if you bring them in.

I’d love to take one of the old farm trucks I see around here (Studebaker seems to be very well represented) and build it as a “high-clearance” half ton with the larger wheels.

-Dave

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I haven't really made it to the planning anything stage on the international. Just an idea in my minds eye!! I would guess that the fenders have the larger opening as the tires that are on the truck are HUGE. I'll get some pics this weekend and post them here. I really haven't done any homework on this truck yet so all my options are unclear yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou