Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Da Bomb

HOP UP, have you seen this HAMB thread on Bombs?
Very cool.
-Dave
Man O Man, got to love Da Bombs! I think it is the coolest trend in customizing right now. Just wish, back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, I would have been smart enough to pick up all those trim peaces every one was throwing away! Oh well, I dumpistered a lot of British motorcycle parts out, now there worth real money.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Just as I promised, here are a few pics of the 51 International that I just snapped for your viewing pleasure!
img2481p.jpg

img2479n.jpg

img2480lf.jpg

img2478i.jpg

Sorry she's buried under all that snow, kinda pretty though!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I'm partial to the Farm truck idea! But at the moment I'm in the middle of another car project so she'll have to wait a bit longer. She gets plenty of attention though, sitting over there, people stop all the time and take pictures. I've even found photos and paintings of her in the county fairs!

botty

Familiar Face
fordalorry.jpg

Here is my little beauty. Sadly tucked up out of the weather at the moment but looking forward to some summer use this year. I just use it for sunny summer jaunts.

Graemsay

Practically Family
There's a bunch of '30s and '40s cars from the Captain America movie up for auction in the UK at the start of March. The online catalogue is here, and I put a thread up in the Vintage Finds forum.

I figured that 51 cars of this era don't come up that often, particularly in the UK, and I'd spread the word.

Oh, and I want first dibs on this Buick. :)

reallybigtim

New in Town
Thought that I would share with everyone a cool car I just sold only a few years back. It was a totally original '48 Dodge (last of the fat fendered era). It is rare to see any old Dodge these days. I found it in the middle of Columbus, Ohio in a back yard. When I inquired about the car....the owner said he would sell it cheap. I asked how long it had been since it had ran (figuring 20-30 years). He said "yesterday". It only had 75K original miles and it still ran on the 6 volt electrical system. I took a test drive and bought it on the spot. One repaint (in the 50's), no rust, and perfect original interior. I casually drove it as a daily driver (in nice weather) for about five years. I sold it to a friend that "had to have it" and then he sold it to a guy who took it all apart to restore. I was devastated when I heard that......the car was a time capsule and driving it put you right back in the day. Their only original once. But what a memory I will always have of cruising in that cool old car. I will post some pictures when I can find them. Cheers!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I sold it to a friend that "had to have it" and then he sold it to a guy who took it all apart to restore. I was devastated when I heard that......the car was a time capsule and driving it put you right back in the day. Their only original once.

Very true. Further, I read once that something like 90% of vehicles that have their engines removed never see the road again. I do love those D24s and their P15 brothers.

-Dave

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Very true. Further, I read once that something like 90% of vehicles that have their engines removed never see the road again. I do love those D24s and their P15 brothers.

-Dave
I do hope that's not true, my plymouths motor is sitting about 30 feet from the car right now. All the front sheet metal is removed and a 350 chevy is hanging from a chain in its place! Let's hope that all continues as planned!

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
It's tricky driving in quick moving, high volume traffic when all you can motor at is 40 to 50 mph tops! modern drivers aren't 'that' patient with ol timers...sadly.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
You know...it's other things too...mostly affordable reliability. When I want to load up the family for a car show out of town I don't want to have that gnawing fear that the old girl is gonna let me down and stranded on the side of the highway. I don't care a fig about keeping up with traffic speed...just keeping her rolling down the road! And when you do run into trouble...how long is your search for part gonna be...if you can even find them. I'm glad there are people out there with a mind and heart for complete restorations with all original parts, I go to plenty of those kind of shows and marvel at the detail that went into the automobile back then. But I'm a working man of the working class and we make do with what we have and what we can afford. I rest easier knowing that all the part going into my car are late model Chevy and Ford and readily and affordably accessible at any auto parts store in America, right now when I need them.

That's where the 350 Chevy is a beautiful motor. Reliability and parts availability. I love it.

You know...it's other things too...mostly affordable reliability. When I want to load up the family for a car show out of town I don't want to have that gnawing fear that the old girl is gonna let me down and stranded on the side of the highway. I don't care a fig about keeping up with traffic speed...just keeping her rolling down the road! And when you do run into trouble...how long is your search for part gonna be...if you can even find them. I'm glad there are people out there with a mind and heart for complete restorations with all original parts, I go to plenty of those kind of shows and marvel at the detail that went into the automobile back then. But I'm a working man of the working class and we make do with what we have and what we can afford. I rest easier knowing that all the part going into my car are late model Chevy and Ford and readily and affordably accessible at any auto parts store in America, right now when I need them.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Another Mod thats in the works while the front end is off is the brakes and the shock mount. Can you believe that the front shock is attached to the upper and lower control arms. It couldn't possibly be doing anything of what it's supposed to do. We're gonna reposition the upper mount to the frame rail. Some day I hope to replace the springs with airbags, but not this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff