Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Johnny B

Familiar Face
The only thing that sucks is that it's hard on gas, and even when it was new and gas was 30 cents a gallon the Edsel wasn't exactly "fuel efficient", but what can you do? It's my only car, I need to drive, so whatever.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Johnny B said:
The only thing that sucks is that it's hard on gas, and even when it was new and gas was 30 cents a gallon the Edsel wasn't exactly "fuel efficient", but what can you do? It's my only car, I need to drive, so whatever.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't period reviewers complain that the Edsel was over powered? Of course, with 400 lb-ft of torque in a car that weighed the same as a Pontiac GTO, they're probably underpowered by my standards. Nothing a 428 Cobra Jet wouldn't cure, though. ;)

-Dave

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Jedburgh OSS said:
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/index.shtml Go to this website and you can watch Jay Leno give you a tour of his collection and take them out on the road for a spin. Quite a variety.

I go to that site often!

You should see his collection in person! ;) My brother and I were fortunate enough to get a tour of Jay's garage and collection from Jay, himself, a year ago last May. Ninety plus cars and motorcycles, each! A very impressive collection and Jay is a great host; a regular car guy!

Lee

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
StraightEight said:
As long as you're not in a very modern hurry, old cars in good tune are a great (if not terribly green) way to get around.
Maybe greener than some choices today...
An all-original '36 Ford Tudor is being stored in the parking garage here in our bldg. The garage man and I were giving it the once over yesterday and he mentioned that if it's in good tune, it will do close to 20mpg on the highway. Compare that to some mutha SUV out currently which gets like 12. And doesn't appreciate in value either. :rolleyes: The V-8s are also easy to maintain and popular enough with car nuts that parts remain available.

You are, however, pretty much overdriving your brakes by modern standards the instant the car begins moving. These babies were built for a world of too few cars, not too many as we now have.

1936_Ford_01_Ad.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
StraightEight said:
Many times I've convoyed with lawn crews in claptrap Toyota trucks.

lol And here, there are MANY!

I sit behind them some times or, slow moving semi's... yes, there are a few who DO obey the speed laws set for 18 wheelers!

Once I was driving home from work a few years ago when I worked in Pomona... I was just an exit away from my exit... I was behind a semi that was going about 50mph... then, this other semi rushes up my tail pipe and just sits there on my bumper... then, he flashes his high beams! Then, he does it again... Oh man, not cool! It's so stupid because I'm behind another truck that's going slow... it's not me, it's the guy in front of me! What a fluff for brains! Some people's kids I tell you! :rolleyes:

I find that I'll drive however fast I feel is safe, most other drivers will go around or sit behind me and look at the car... if they get too close, I let off the gas and go slower... then, they change lanes.

For the most part, people get a kick out of the old car... they always give me waves or big smiles and I've started many an interesting conversation at the service station about the car.

Never want to drive fast, l like to take my time... you see a lot more along the drive then you would flyin' at 85!

Jay

Practically Family
After reading this thread I just had to go out for a drive in my old car, being the 55 Chev as opposed to the 87 Trans Am. Wouldn't you know the Chev has quicker responding brakes than my wore out Trans Am? I guess as long as they're well adjusted they're just as good. Of course my passengers sometimes freak out when I have to pull up on the steering wheel for leverage when things get hairy.

Still, I feel more comfortable driving a big slow car with a heavy frame that draws attention. Dull gray, low sports cars people seem to overlook...

HOP UP

Vendor
I drive my 57 Chevy Bel Air wagon alomst daily....in traffic and all weather. never had a problem, other drivers love it hehe. Never been cut off and have never had any problems in the city or on the interstate @ 65mph.

Ive added discs myself, but honestly the power boosted drums I had were fairly adequate, I only replaced them because the non tapered original wheel bearings had to go as they had seen better days. :rolleyes:

The discs added modern tapered wheel bearings and they are safer along with the upgraded stopping power.

Great driving, riding car that gives me more smiles per mile :D

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I've always thought a Tri-Five Chevy would be the ideal daily driver. Parts availability is better than a lot of cars produced even ten years ago, and by all indications will remain so. Not to mention, they're the perfect platform for hidden upgrades - from just disc brakes and overdrive transmissions all the way to electronic fuel injection and complete modern Corvette-type chassis. Also, you don't have to worry about getting dinged up because there's brand-new sheetmetal being produced.

That's a beautiful car, HOP UP. What color is it?

-Dave

HOP UP

Vendor
David Conwill said:
I've always thought a Tri-Five Chevy would be the ideal daily driver. Parts availability is better than a lot of cars produced even ten years ago, and by all indications will remain so. Not to mention, they're the perfect platform for hidden upgrades - from just disc brakes and overdrive transmissions all the way to electronic fuel injection and complete modern Corvette-type chassis. Also, you don't have to worry about getting dinged up because there's brand-new sheetmetal being produced.

That's a beautiful car, HOP UP. What color is it?

-Dave

Dave you're right.

The reason I bought a tri five (which wasnt my first choice btw, I like the oddball, somewhat rarer deco rides even more) was because of parts availability via the aftermarket, and very good resale value if I needed to sell. Livability was important to me with this car.

I already have a TH 700 R4 OD trans (installed it still looks stock inc the column shift etc) and as mentioned the discs. Stainless trim, sheetmetal, badges, interior trim, moulds, rubbers,glass etc....the list goes on. Im astounded how cheap all this stuff is compared to all the MoPar stuff Ive been playing with for over 20 years - staggering really.

I might even mothball the 283/PG trans and build myself a nice 383 torquer small block dressed up as a stock 283 and back it with the 4 spd OD for max efficiency. :D All original parts will be kept in case of sale or if I decide to return her baclk to stock. It would move the 57 well, be more economical and have plenty of power in reserve too :D

The colour combo is Sierra Gold and Adobe Beige. Its a less common combo in 57 Bel Airs but imo also one of the best as well. Matador Red / India Ivory as well as Topical Turquoise/Ivory are real common and can get a little boring at times. lol

Thanx for the comments !!

Frankie

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Not Golden Era but my 1970 DJ-5A Postal Jeep is hoot. I used to use it as a daily driver. with its' 183 Chevy Engine and 2speed Powerglide tranny. Original engine and transmission mind you, the Postals were 2-wheel drive Jeeps and Kaiser Jeep Corporation didn't have their own automatic transmission. Four wheel drum brakes, non power, lap belts and sliding doors that I left open in all but the coldest weather. And even then sometimes a friend and I would leave the doors open, we had heavy wool overcoats, gloves and ushanka's (Russian furry hats) I need to rebuild the carb now. I remember once I had a fuel leak and it caught fire right there at the carburetor and the intake and exhaust manifolds, extinguished it and drove it home. Simple, simple machine to work on. Posi-rear I would go offroading with my friends 97 Jeep wrangler and the combination of the posi-rear and complete lack of weight to "Rattle trap" as we call her allowed my Jeep to "float" by his. Wheelbase is so narrow that I am able to drive with both wheels within the space on pavement where a milling machine has been taking up the road surface.

Matt

59Lark

Practically Family
brakes a big issue

Their has been a big discussion here with old brakes versus new brakes, it makes me tell you a story from two years ago. I was coming back from a cruise night with my eldest and two neighbours children, the train had just gone through, and the traffic started moving, i went over the tracks and started moving and came opoun a car not moving no brake lights nothing, I jammed on the brakes, single cylinder, drum brakes, and i alound said thank god, i was able to stop, i just avoided hitting this oldsmobile in front of me. Then bang a 1998 pontiac grand prix hit me, then the honda bike behind him hit him and went under his bumper. I went back and told him later, if i could stop this two ton elephant with drum brakes, why couldnt you stop this modern car with four wheel discs brakes, the bottom line was paying attention and also the girls in the oldsmobile had been smoking dope, but they got away with that because the young cops kept looking at their legs, not smelling the odour in the car. MY old studebaker has been reliable in her ownership of nearly twenty years and she gets 25 mpg, on the highway but hey studebaker was ahead of the pack when it came to mileage. 59LARK

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Five out of the nine automobiles I curretly own qualify as vintage vehicles, but only one is truly golden era: My 1949 Chevy 3100 five-window pickup, which is what I'm pictured behind the wheel of in my current avatar.

I do also have a 1948 Ford Flathead V8 (motor) that I'm building as a 50's style hotrod engine using 100% era-correct speed parts. I'm now searching for suitable 30's era body to complete a traditional open-wheel hot rod.

My ultimate golden era car would be a meticulously restored mid-30's Packard or Auburn.

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
let those of us in the Southern California know the next time you take your Buick to a car show

Okey dokey. Current Buick show schedule:

Tonight, around 6pm, Redondo Beach car cruise at Ruby's by the Redondo Pier.

We may drive it to the big shindig at the Cicada Club on Sunday night. Depends on how hot it is.

Pebble Beach weekend. Figuring an average speed of 35 mph, it's a 10.5 hour trip, so I may leave on Wednesday, 8-13 and meet up with the Lamborghini club convoy in Pismo Beach for the night, then finish the drive up the Coast Highway on Thursday. I'll be at most of the events at some point over the weekend.

Velma the Diva

New in Town
I want to thank all of you

You've reminded me of a lot of wonderful memories driving in my parents and grandparents cars.

Dad had a 36 Chevy 4 on the floor that occasionally would do the "hula", not sure what would cause it. We'd use to say "Nelly-belle (that's the name of the car) is doing the Hula." then Dad would stop the car and take care of some magical things that Dad's could do back then.

We drove that car down to Disneyland in 1957 in July air conditioning was 4 windows open and driving 55. It was the last long trip that car took, we eventually bought a newer car and some guy bought Nellybelle and said he was going to restore her, that was in 1959. We had a 58 DeSoto that was like riding on your living room couch, no one wanted to get near it, solid Detroit steel.

My brother now has my Grandparents 41 Pontiac, it runs, but he's careful with it. I still have my 63 Chevy Nova 4 door 6 cyclinder, that car has taken me on a lot of trips.

But my husband and I, I must confess, we drive a SUV, we wanted something that could pull a trailer for traveling, and then the cost of gas zoomed up. (we plan on buying eventually an airstream).

But up here in the S.F. Bay Area, anyone driving a vintage car gets space and a lot of thumbs up and least that is what I have noticed.

In October in Alameda they are going to have a one day car show, with a lot of vintage, hot rod and unusal cars on display. I'm not sure what date, but I think the City's web site or it's chamber of commerce web site might have it.

Last night I and my Hubby were on the U.S.S. Hornet enjoying the dancing, costumes and Big Band Music of the Glenn Miller Band, and what was nice is that my brother drove us to the Hornet in his Pontiac. Some people also drove their vintage cars. LOVED IT!

But thanks for the memories and the tips on driving and older car.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Classics in L.A.

When I'm out in my '69 Chevy Nova, I get some looks (mostly from older dudes with long sideburns), and some positive comments. Driving it can be a challenge at times, due to the lifts in the back (as a teen, I made it a high-rider many years ago), but the 327 engine is a pleasure on the freeways. As to my '51 Packard 400 Patrician...driving it puts you in a whole other world. As to positive comments, I get them all the time. (What I hear the most is, "My dad had a Packard when I was a boy/girl." One old man recently looked at my car while at the gas station, and said with a twinkle in his eyes, "A 400...") Regarding courtesy, so far other drivers have given me a lot of room on the surface streets (I've taken it on the freeway only once due to a cracked head). Unfortunately, as mentioned by someone on this thread, the generator was not able to keep up with modern driving, and is currently being replaced with an alternator. (All the original 6 volt wiring is extant.) Plus, the starter needs a bit of work, but what do you expect? The brakes are actually not bad, and the automatic transmission okay, although going from park to drive takes a couple of seconds. And even though the car has manual steering, the wheel is big enough to prevent muscle cramp. All in all, while a challenge, the Packard's a pleasure to drive and get noticed in (especially when I'm wearing a fedora).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21