Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving up to meet with PanamaBob :) Any suggestions?

vinnypolston

New in Town
Hey everyone! I'm a long time reader here and getting more serious about my love for hats :)

I live a few hours away from Robert ( PanamaBob ) and am making the drive up to him this Saturday to pick up some hats :D I am so anxious about this!

Anyways, my question is: Any suggestions? Or would you care to post pictures of the great hats you have gotten from him? I would love to see some pictures :cool:

Thanks for your time, looking forward to hearing from you!
Vinny

But seriously (kinda) ...

I'm sure you'll get an education. Straws are their own separate species, with so many subspecies (these things are handmade, one-off items, after all) that it seems no one could name them all. Have fun!

barrowjh

One Too Many
Say hello for me, too. I sniped one of his hats on ebay on Saturday, and have been trying to get a red paja C-crown deal going, but he is so busy that I just stay on the danged back burner, s'why I sniped that semi-calado at his minimum Saturday, getting desperate for some llano weave.

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Say hello for me, too. I sniped one of his hats on ebay on Saturday, and have been trying to get a red paja C-crown deal going, but he is so busy that I just stay on the danged back burner, s'why I sniped that semi-calado at his minimum Saturday, getting desperate for some llano weave.

Oh yeah? I must have sniped another one on the same day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Montecristi-Sem...-/330598103181?pt=US_Hats&hash=item4cf92eb88d

No, not exactly sniped, I just put in a single bid, and I was the only bidder. I'd actually just ordered a semi calado, but it seems like it might take some time for Bob to source what I asked for, so I couldn't resist the temptation to bid for something I could get my hands on more quickly. At the same time, I bought two of his discounts, a Savannah that looks quite interesting, hoping it's a nice wide brim for beach n' bush, for only $29.95, and a Cuenca Caballero for $49.95.

This is the first order I've placed with PB, and I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. I must say thanks to FL members for introducing me to him, I wouldn't have found him without the comments here!

vinnypolston

New in Town
Holy smokes that's a lot of comments!

Thanks everyone, I'm super excited too! Robert is a very busy fella and I appreciate him clearing up so I can drive up to meet with him. I'm looking at picking up a few hats. Right now I have my sight on a bogey and a c-crown! I saw on ebay he had a porkpie, if he has one of those in a Cuarto Fino+ weave I may pick one up too! Pics will follow!

Still no pictures from you all? Come on :)

vinnypolston

New in Town
Just wanted to recap:

Shortly after I got off work Saturday my cousin and I set out on our adventure to PanamaBob. An estimated 2 and a half hour drive up there. We decided to take his 73 mach1 for a road trip ( which made the long drive seem much shorter - and fun! ). Apart from some troubles with the car starting at a gas station about 30 minutes away from Roberts the day was fantastic! No worries, just a small issue. :eusa_doh:

We arrived at Roberts and were welcomed into his home. Both Robert and his wife were extremely nice and polite - great people! We sat there in their living room with a huge pile of Cuenca and Montecristi hats in front of us :eusa_clap it was a beautiful thing! We talked for probably around an hour. Robert really knows his stuff when it comes to these hats! He and his wife were so full of knowledge and more than willing to answer any questions I had.

I had told Justin, that for the drive up he could pick out a hat for himself. After trying about 4 or 5 he finally found one he liked, I believe it was a fino montecristi in a Cuencano block with a very nice black ribbon. He had to pick the more expensive one :p His birthday is in a week so we agreed if he would wear it, that it would be an early birthday present :D

I picked up a Havana blocked Fino Brisa Cuenca hat for myself. As well as a Cuencano Fino Brisa Cuenca for a gift for my pastor and I believe it was a Caballero same grade for a gift for my father. I also picked up a more modern stingy brim Cuenca with a black ribbon and black brim edging for when I'm feelin frisky. [huh]

Everyone looked wonderful in their new hats and many pictures will come! I'm ordering a special Montecristi for myself here soon, just have to make a decision on exactly what I want :eek:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael