Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duke of Windsor - at it again! Duke of Windsor plotted to regain throne

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Interesting. perhaps, because I am an American, I never understood the whole abdicationthing. I mean, he was king, why would he have to abdicate. I know there are laws, but would people have cared and enforced them. maybe hte nobles would.

but I didn't think in the modern era, a king could plot ot regain athrone. But then again, in this modernn era, thrones in general seem kind of anathema, so go figure.

Whhy did he have to abdicate, anyway?

cptjeff

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
Interesting. perhaps, because I am an American, I never understood the whole abdicationthing. I mean, he was king, why would he have to abdicate. I know there are laws, but would people have cared and enforced them. maybe hte nobles would.

but I didn't think in the modern era, a king could plot ot regain athrone. But then again, in this modernn era, thrones in general seem kind of anathema, so go figure.

Whhy did he have to abdicate, anyway?

He wanted to marry an American divorcée, and that didn't go over too well.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Duke of Windsor - so what about the American bitch (in the ghetto/pimpin' sense) ?

He wished to marry an American divorcee (x2) who was unacceptable to the religious, aristocratic and parliamentary authorities who also did not want him to consumate a "morganatic" marriage aka between people of unequal social rank aka someone beneath him aristocratically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morganatic_marriage

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I get that. So, would they have been able to, and surely, the would have done so, force him out? could the common people have had anything to do with it/ Did they support him, or side with the same attitude?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wallis must have had it goin' on in the boudoir. Of course, there was that rumor...........:eek:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Having your Cake and eating it too!"

As the Prince of Wales enticed Mrs Simpson with expensive presents, she in her turn was showering her other lover with money and gifts, while taking great care to conceal the relationship from her royal suitor.

Had she known that Special Branch police officers were trailing her in 1935, she might have thought twice about sharing her bed with Guy Marcus Trundle. The married son of a vicar from York, he may have rented a Mayfair flat next door to where the present Queen was born, but he was still in the motor trade.

Mrs Simpson was 39, he 36 and a top-grade ladies’ man. Those sent to spy on him described him as “a very charming adventurer, very good looking, well-bred and an excellent dancer. He is said to boast that every woman falls for him.( the Tart)!!!”

Trundle’s existence comes to light today with the release by the Public Record Office of secret papers relating to the 1936 Abdication — in particular a sheaf of confidential reports to the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police.

It is no surprise that officers had been watching Mrs Simpson from the beginning of her affair with the Prince of Wales. They knew in 1935 that Mrs Simpson was entertaining a lover other than the next King, but it took them several weeks to establish his identity. On July 3 they cracked it.

“The identity of Mrs Simpson’s secret lover has now been definitely ascertained. He is Guy Marcus Trundle, now living at 18 Bruton Street, W,” the Special Branch report for that day declares. “He meets Mrs Simpson quite openly at informal social gatherings as a personal friend, but secret meetings are made by appointment, where intimate relations take place.”

The police officers were thorough in their research. “Trundle receives money from Mrs Simpson as well as expensive presents . . . Trundle is a motor engineer and salesman and is said to be employed by the Ford Motor Company. It is not known what salary he gets.”

The officers further reported that her husband Ernest Simpson was “very talkative when in drink”.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Remember this tease:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/feb/16/madonna-wallis-simpson-film

wallismadge460.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Nazi Spy

The Prince was way to chummy with Hitler, and Churchill knew it! The divorced American was the least of the troubles. Even after war was declared the Duke was spotted talking to known Nazi spay's. The UK spent a lot of money trying to keep him quiet during the war!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Stearmen said:
The UK spent a lot of money trying to keep him quiet during the war!
How much did it cost them to post him in the Bahamas as Governor?

Story

I'll Lock Up
Stearmen said:
The Prince was way to chummy with Hitler, and Churchill knew it! The divorced American was the least of the troubles. Even after war was declared the Duke was spotted talking to known Nazi spay's. The UK spent a lot of money trying to keep him quiet during the war!

Life imitates art. Art imitates life.
ianmckellenrichardiii.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
A Prince is a prince, but a ruler's 12"

Original post by BinkieBaumont

What great info! How satisfying, somehow to know, Mrs. Simpson was playing him for an even bigger fool than he was. Cuckholded before he was even married.
This Yank's impression of Edward is that he was a blockhead: Spoiled and selfish. I cringe when I watch "Edward and Mrs. Simpson" and hear the Duke of York speak of his brother with such awe and admiration. George VI was a much better King, in my ignorant Yank opinion. Still, Edward Fox makes him seem almost appealing. He deserved his fate as a royal "Flying Dutchman".

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Nazi

Thats why he was sent there! Simpson had been the lover of German Ambassador von Ribbentrop. Keep in mind the royal families real title is The House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha, they changed it to the name of one of their castles. The Duke loved to speak German, and spoke out in favor of Hitler every chance he got! After the fall of France he went to Spain after the Nazis gathered his belongings on his request. Churchill sent them on to Portugal. In Estoril, a hotbed of Nazi spies, Edward advised the Germans in July 1940 that “continued heavy bombing would make England ready for peace.” Finally they sent him to the British Bahamas, where only some of my dumb fellow Yanks would listen to his rants! Henry Ford, Charles Lindbergh etc! I am not much on Royalty, but I think the UK got the right Monarch in the end! My last two cents on this subject. God Save the Kimg!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
filfoster said:
Original post by BinkieBaumont

What great info! How satisfying, somehow to know, Mrs. Simpson was playing him for an even bigger fool than he was. Cuckholded before he was even married.
This Yank's impression of Edward is that he was a blockhead: Spoiled and selfish. I cringe when I watch "Edward and Mrs. Simpson" and hear the Duke of York speak of his brother with such awe and admiration. George VI was a much better King, in my ignorant Yank opinion. Still, Edward Fox makes him seem almost appealing. He deserved his fate as a royal "Flying Dutchman".

All of the above reasons were precisely why Baldwin and Co saw him off to the greater good of the British monarchy and country.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Lobster Grip

http://www.charleyharperprints.com/E Grosch Print Images/fox_crab_480.jpg

The Crab and the Fox (Aesop)

A CRAB, forsaking the seashore, chose a neighboring green meadow
as its feeding ground. A Fox came across him, and being very
hungry ate him up. Just as he was on the point of being eaten,
the Crab said, "I well deserve my fate, for what business had I
on the land, when by my nature and habits I am only adapted for
the sea?'

Contentment with our lot is an element of happiness

Edward VIII (born 23 June - cancer) was not happy with his lot on the seashore of Nassau he wanted Windsor's meadows back as feeding grounds.

filfoster

One Too Many
The Vagabond formerly known as Prince

cookie said:
All of the above reasons were precisely why Baldwin and Co saw him off to the greater good of the British monarchy and country.
We Yank anglophiles are heartily glad he did. I am not enamoured by many of Mr. Baldwin's other accomplishments,(ignoring the military establishment as Hitler built his own), but that was a great achievement and one, I believe, accomplished against Churchill's sentiments.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
If you look at the article cited by the original poster, you will find that the quoted letters contain nothing reprehensible whatsoever, or showing that the Duke "plotted to regain the throne."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy