Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duke of Windsor - at it again! Duke of Windsor plotted to regain throne

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
I'd Stand With Him

lolly_loisides said:
Money and privilege doesn’t necessarily equate to intelligence and good taste. His son is a good example...

Classy

He's done ten weeks more service for his country in hard combat in Afghanistan than most of his critics.

Perhaps, like Henry V, he is growing out of his youth.

Trog

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
maxmoorethennnp468x333oi1.jpg

"Mr Victoria" 1937 Norrie Gruntfutuck"

PrinceAlbert1842.jpg

Prince Albert

I dont get it?:eek:

Edward

Bartender
Stearmen said:
The Prince was way to chummy with Hitler, and Churchill knew it! The divorced American was the least of the troubles. Even after war was declared the Duke was spotted talking to known Nazi spay's. The UK spent a lot of money trying to keep him quiet during the war!

Thhere was an excellent television documentary on here in the UK last year, called The Nazi King, which explored the allegation that Edward VIII was a nazi-sympathiser, that that was the true reason for his forced abdication, and the marrying an American Divorcee (either of which - being american or Divorced - I suspect would have seriously ruffled feathers among the Old Firm back in the day! lol ) was simply a cover story seized upon to make it easier to squeeze him out. As the documentary presented it, it was actually very convincing.

filfoster said:
George VI was a much better King, in my ignorant Yank opinion.

His wife, the now departed Queen Mother as many of us would have known her, apparently blamed George VI's relatively early death upon his brother: presumably she attributed ill health towards the stress of taking on the job.

Edw8ri said:
The Monarch is the head of the Church of England. In those days, the Church of England did not recognize divorce. Hence, under Church law, the marriage to Edward VIII would not have been legal since Mrs. Simpson was already married (again in the eyes of the Church) to two other men.

The problem Edward faced is no different from the problem a Church of England priest or bishop would have faced during the '30's. If a priest or bishop wanted to marry a divorced woman, he would have to leave the Church.

It seems odd to us today when divorce is more common and most religious denominations, including the Church of England, now recognize divorce. But that was the way it was then.

While preferring not to get into the politics of this, I would say simpyl that it always seemed mildly ironic to me that even today many Royalists despair at the idea of Charles, "an adulterer" and a divorce, taking the throne, when in fact the Church of England was established by Henry VIII for the very purposes of facilitating his divorce and remarriage to his mistress. lol

Richard Warren said:
I dig those shoes. Where can iI get some?

They look to me to be penny loafers, try Rocket Originals:

http://www.rocketoriginals.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=LOAFER-BLK/WHITE

SL271768.jpg

I've never been a fan of slip-ons myself, but I have to admit Im' increasingly intrigued by these....

Mike in Seattle said:
That be the one... In 100 years, give or take, we've gone from Queen Victoria & all of the good manners & chivalry (and inherent stodginess and inhibitions) to where the first in line to the throne is expressing his desire to become a feminine hygiene product for his mistress. Queen Victoria would've said "We are not amused." I think we'd all say "We are all rather grossed out."

Well, I don't know..... Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were into body piercing, tattoos, and what not, so perhaps they weren't quite as conservative as is often believed....

Oh, and it is indeed he after whom the Prince Albert piercing is named... though they were around before that. The purpose was, I gather, to allow for the attachment of small weights to keep things from rising up, preserving a smoothe line under those tight britches.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wallis

I think Edward's politics were more along the line of "What's convenient for me". But Wallis was definiltely a great admirer of fascists in general and Hitler in particular. Not a nice woman.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Richard Warren said:
Most of the bad mouthing of the Duke seems to me to be innuendo from suspect sources with obvious motives. Even the article that prompted this post does not provide evidence of what it asserts.

If you want to see an unhappy man, look at picture of the current prince.

Richard, do you prefer the Duke of Windsor' behavior over that of Prince Charles?

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I have no brief for the Duke (except he did generally dress well), and really don't know much about him. He may have been a crypto-fascist cross dresser for all I know. Its just that every time I see an accusation against him, there seems to be a lot of innuendo and little evidence.

For example, the article that prompted this thread had a headline:

"As brother faded, Duke of Windsor plotted to regain throne: letters"

I suggest anyone interested read the article and see if there is any indication that he "plotted to regain the throne" or do anything else for that matter in the least reprehensible. Maybe I missed something.

Many years after his death certain segments of the media continue to attack him. I am not surprised British television would label him the "Nazi King." I would be surprised to find any actual evidence the man was really a Nazi, not because I know he wasn't, but because I have seen some BBC documentaries in my time.

I could speculate as to why these many years later some segments of the media continue to attack him, but that would involve a discussion of matters forbidden to be discussed on this forum.

As to Charles, I only know that which it is unavoidable to know. It does not impress me favorably. It seems too me that in trying to create a role for himself, he has not found the proper balance between duty and self indulgence, and has made a hash of the entire enterprise. Plus he looks funny.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:

Prince Charles..."banned foi gras from royal menus and instructed chefs at all of his residences to stop serving the dish after an activist from Bristol wrote to the prince about cruelty involved in producing the stuff" BRAVO CHARLES! :eusa_clap That is a first step!

And there are many more examples like this when it comes to him caring about animals,nature, etc... The prince is not perfect ( who is?) but at least he tries.

He has my respect, tampon or not tampon.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Just one more thing...

Comparing Prince Charles with the Duke of Windsor is like comparing apples with oranges.

The Duke of Windsor was a very weak man. He should never have abdicated, he had a duty to his country, - do your job even if you don't like it - what a stupid thing to do, he would have been able to see Simpson anyway ...

May be it's just as well.[huh]

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
The Nazi Thing

I don't think that there is much doubt that Edward was an admirer of Hitler and Musso. But remember, that we are talking about the 1930's. The world was in the Great Depression. A lot of people were questioning the basic Anglo-American system. Some flirted with Communism in those days and some with fascism. Indeed, some were attracted to fascism because they thought it the best bulwark against fascism. 1936 was the high water mark in support for Oswald Mosley's British Union of Fascists.

But was Edward VIII forced to abdicate because of his supposed fascist sympathies? I think not. Look at the timeline.

The abdication came in December of 1936. Hitler had been in power for less than 4 years. In 1936, Hitler had not yet marched into Austria. The Czech crisis was two years away. In fact, in 1936, Hitler was actively pursuing an anti-communist alliance with Britain. And there were some prominent people in Britain who were interested.

Hence, while there were people in Britain in 1936 who were concerned about Hitler's rearmament program (most notably Churchill), most people were not. Many Britons thought well of the Hitler regime, including Britain's former war-time prime minister, David Lloyd George. So Edward's sympathies while not shared by most, were not uncommon either. And Britain the government of Stanley Baldwin was pursuing a policy of friendship and appeasement toward Hitler.

So why would the government force Edward VIII out because of his fascist sympathies? No leading official in Britain saw war with Hitler as inevitable. There was no national crisis that would justify a forced abdication on a trumped up basis. The problem was not Edward's politics. It was Mrs. Simpson's prior marriages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy