Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Earmuff Etiquette?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
J.B. said:
Of course --but I myself long for that recurring vintage experience of profanity and pain when -- as my hair became caught in the slider, tangled, and pulled out by the roots -- always resulting in my quickly letting go of one end of a muff, in turn causing the sling-shotted loose end to smack me violently upside the face in freezing, Arctic, snot-cubing weather during which incident my eyeglasses were always rendered briskly to the sidewalk where I promptly stepped on them...

Oh yeah...

lol lol lol lol lol
I just had to get up from my desk and walk around, lest I burst out laughing and make a fool of myself in the office. lol

Gumby

New in Town
Try the 180's...

I got some of the 180's ear warmers/muffs back in Dec. when I was downtown Chicago. The wind chill temps were down in the single digits and the ears stayed pleasantly warm. After about 45 mins. though the pressure on the ears caused one or both to sort of sting from blood deprivation. I didn't need to wear them any longer than about 20 mins. at a time, so that wasn't much of a problem.

I noticed at least 3 men right downtown with snappy fedoras. I didn't have a chance to compliment them on the fine head gear, however....

"Whatever you are, be good at it."

-Abe Lincoln

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mr. 'H' said:
LOL :eusa_clap

I personally think earmuffs are sissyish.
And one for you, too!! *POW!*
sap-gloves-fist.jpg
lol lol lol

DocBob345

Familiar Face
The Perfect Fix

Living near the Windy City has left me with this same conundrum. Wind biting exposed ears.

I wear a hat and thought about earmuffs but don't want to look sissyish as Mr. H put it.

My simple soution keeps my ears warm, yet still make me appear manly with a capital 'M'.

Rip the muffs off of the headgear and staple them straight onto the ears.

Done. Bob's your uncle.

Best,
Robert

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Winter has recently arrived in DC, but I haven't yet dug out my behind-the head earmuffs. The reason? It's just another thing to carry around and juggle. I already have to deal with hat, gloves, briefcase, coffee cup, keys, ID badge, wallet, cell phone, etc. Adding another piece just seems more pain than its worth--for now, anyways. Another 10 degrees colder, and I might change my mind.

Ben

One of the Regulars
Ear Warmer Bands

Whatr about using a fleece headband.

I have been thinking about this questi0on myself lately, though I am sticking with a winter hat for the time being.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Orgetorix said:
Winter has recently arrived in DC, but I haven't yet dug out my behind-the head earmuffs. The reason? It's just another thing to carry around and juggle. I already have to deal with hat, gloves, briefcase, coffee cup, keys, ID badge, wallet, cell phone, etc. Adding another piece just seems more pain than its worth--for now, anyways. Another 10 degrees colder, and I might change my mind.

If you're wearing earmuffs it sort of implies you're carrying a nice purse to put them in. Problem solved.

carebear

Bud,

By this point I'm depending on everyone realizing I'm trying to be funny.

:D

Or else a lot of these guys are gonna hit me with their purses... lol

vonwotan

Practically Family
I'm not really built for the cold so I have a couple persian lamb (black and grey) Envoy and Ambassador hats, one Beaver pelt hat that is a plain flat top - smaller than an ushanka or trooper, and one shearling trooper received as a gift. The first three are far less bulky / have a relatively sleek line. Larger hats look really large on me... All but the Beaver pelt hat have ear flaps that solve the problem on really cold days. This evening, to walk the dogs, I wore the beaver pelt hat which can be pulled down over my ears. It is the warmest, and one of the most comfortable, in my closet.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Unfortunately my Deerstalker, a childhood gift for an avid reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, was lost last year. A neighbor's daughter used it for a school play and it disappeared in to their prop room... One of my favourites althought I never really found an occasion to wear the hat.

Fletch said:
So how do you wear 'em?
Strapped around the back of the head? Under the hat? QUOTE]
================
Actually, as a kid i remember seeing some men in fedoras with ear muffs on and the strap portion was to the back of the head or where the collar of the coat met the neck. When it was cold enough my dad would use a "car hat" that covered the ears. Sort of Russian cold weather hat looking to me.

carebear

There are several brands of shooting muffs that go low behind the neck, I find it hard to believe they don't have the exact same thing for earmuffs.

Heck, buy a pair of Peltors and replace the earmuffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran