Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman lutwaffe advice

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello gentlemen,

I 'm interested by an Eastman Lutwaffe jacket and i would to know :

- how's the fitting : like an Aero 30's half belt ? (i would like to wear it with a light sweater in early spring and Fall)

- how's the moleskine lining : warm or similiar to the A2 mustard cotton drill ?

All opinions are welcome!

Cheers,
F68

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have an ELC Hartmann jacket in 46 long. Beautiful workmanship and a buttery soft luxurious black leather. Interior is a wool tweed plaid. Very trim fit (only room for a lightweight dress shirt or t-shirt beneath).
Not sure but I think the Luftwaffe ELC has a roomier fit then the Hartmann.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Fafoo, what size would you wear? There is a used Hartman on the Aero sale page, in size 46. Also on the Eastman homepage look in the "guest book" current owners list their jackets that are for sale there.
BTW one of my favorites... Definitely on my list.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hi there, I had Eastman make me one up like a bike jacket years back. Zippered lower pockets, no pleats in the back, this was before Lewis leathers got back into business. I had lost touch with Aero and had no computer to search so I guess it may be unique.
The fit is a bit like their A2s at the time, a bit baggy around the waist are or blousey as some say, slightly big on the shoulders, the collar is a straight copy of the A2 style, personally I don't like the pleats. the zip cuffs don't have a gusset like a real bike jacket but overall it is a nice fitting jacket.
Now the moleskin interior is another matter. Fine though it looks it is ok worn over a full sleeved cotton shirt, but if you wear a wool or brushed cotton shirt (which moleskin is I believe) it can 'cling' and you have to hang on to the shirt cuffs. Also if wearing a T shirt or you are a bit sweaty. Yes the moleskin is very warm even on sunny but cool days.
Overall a nice jacket, mines made in steer hide though light horse is available, top rated zip. I don't really like the nipple tassel pocket zip tags but they are handy. Like said, mine has slight variations but in a standard version I prefer the Aero Highwayman and would have bought this instead.
The Hartman? Very short fitting though I have only tried one on and flap pockets look awful with anything in them that isn't flat.
Just my views, John

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello guys,
Thanks for all your replies, i tried the Hartmann, too slim fit to me and the leather too thin.
The LEWIS Dominator is nice but too «bike style» to me.
The Luftwaffe looks a good compromise (i guess it's the same jacket as the Messerchmitt made by Original flight jacket).
Cheers,
F68

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Hi.i have a size 44 luftwaffe.beautiful jacket.it fits completely different from my highwayman.much softer .lighter hide.The moleskin lining is great.1st class jacket.just wish i had bought a 42 as they run pretty big.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have the ELC Luftwaffe in a 46. I have a 42" chest and normally wear a size 42. My 46 fits in the shoulders and the chest, but is baggy around the middle, especially in the back. I was able to do some selective shrinking, and now have a fairly good fit.

A 44 may have been a better fit, but no one from Eastman would respond to my emails. At the time I ordered, their fit chart recommended a 46 for my height, weight and chest size. Interestingly, a day so after I received the jacket, I looked at the fit chart again, and the recommendation had changed to a size 44. Before I ordered, I checked several different weights to see what the recommendation was--leaving the height and chest size constant. It always came back as a 46, so that is what I went with.

The moleskin lining is nice, and traps more body heat than the A-2 mustard cotton lining. But I don't wear much either when the temps are below freezing--I have too many peacoats that need the exercise. With a sweater I have found the ELC does well in the mid to upper 20s. Haven't worn it below that.

I got the Luftwaffe in the brown as I have so many black MC jackets. It is a dark luxurious brown. Couldn't ask for a better color.

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
Thanks for the precision on the sizing.
Rob from ELC gave me the sizing and it appears that the fit of the Luftwaffe jacket is more generous than those of the Hartmann which is similar to a Aero 30's half belt.
The 42 in a Hartmann is trimmer than a 40 in a Luftwaffe.
I also tried an Aero Half Belt in 42 and the sizing is perfect so i will see.
I'm torn between the ELC Luftwaffe in Brown or ordering (and waiting for) an Aero 50's Half Belt in Seal Brown...
Cheers,
F68

Stand By

One Too Many
Good day F68,
I have an ELC Luftwaffe in a size 42 made in horse hide – and have a medium build with a 39” chest - and I only have an Aero ANJ-3 in a size 44 to compare it against (which fits me perfectly).
The Luftwaffe is a superbly made jacket in every regard IMHO – and the fit on me is great, except I find the sleeves just a whisker longer than I’d prefer. Just an inch off would be nice … but whatever.
As for the lining, it’s very nice and definitely warmer than a cotton lining.
In my part of Canada this morning, the light snow was turning to freezing rain – so for my commute I opted for the Luftwaffe with just my trusty RAF sweater and a v. thin T beneath it. I was just right. .
The ANJ-3, as much as I love it, would have been a touch insufficient and I consider the Luftwaffe to be hardier.
Sure, just wear an extra layer beneath an A2 and you're still in business, but there's a reason for a different jacket right there, so that’s why I have both. :)

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
Here in France we had for last week for the 1st time of winter some below zero temperatures (celcius), the only beast that kept me warm was my 1966 kersey peaoat...
So a ELC Luftwaffe or Half Belt jacket (whatever the manufacturer) would be OK for the +5 to 15 degrees.
The moleskine seems to be a good alternative to Alpaca, Wool mid-weight Tartans linings so i keep it in mind.
For the sleeve, i believe the strong Satin would be a good idea (the ELC Luftwaffe is lined in the sleeves with such a lining).
Gaberdine or a strong cotton drill will be fine also but i think Gaberdine is better for ease.
Cheers,
F68

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart