Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay #1: Nice Hat, but looks right?

Boroparkpyro

New in Town
Heyall,

I just made my first ebay purchase of a hat. Well, actually i made the purchase a few days ago, along with two others, but this is the first one to arrive. So it's my First Ebay Hat. :p

This was its listing.

I think it looks good... nice naturally-brownish straw, loose weave (good for those of us who sweat like beasts), i like the simple band pattern... i just have no idea when it's from, if it's actually vintage (not that i think the seller was lying or anything).

Here are some pictures i took of it:

From the top:
penney-top.jpg

From the side:
penney-side.jpg

Inside:
penney-inside.jpg

It has a leather sweatband with the name of i guess the company on it:
penney-name.jpg

Under that it says "ST.LOUIS MADE"

And here's a tag on the inside of the sweatband:
penney-tag.jpg

It's size 7, so i was worried that it might not fit me, but it does.
However, i'm not so sure as to whether it looks good on me or not. It just doesn't seem to sit on my head the same way that my other hats do. What do y'all think?
penney-wearing.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Naw, it looks awful. You should send it to me, and I'll see that it gets a good home. ;)

Kidding, of course! It looks really good! I've never seen one like that. It looks a bit stingy on the table, but not so much when you have it on. Goes great with that shirt, too, BTW.

S

Samsa

Maybe it's the way that it is placed on your head, but it looks to be a little small. It's a very nice hat, though.

LuckyKat

Practically Family
Nice lid. You're lucky you have an averaged-sized head to fit hats...I have the worst luck with hats being as I wear a 7 3/8ths, which is much more difficult to locate.

If anyone see's any larger sized hats around on ebay, etc. let me know!

squid

One of the Regulars
LuckyKat said:
Nice lid. You're lucky you have an averaged-sized head to fit hats...I have the worst luck with hats being as I wear a 7 3/8ths, which is much more difficult to locate.

If anyone see's any larger sized hats around on ebay, etc. let me know!

I see tons of 7 3/8 hats. Now lately I've been looking for an inexpensive hat for my stepdad who wears a 7 1/2 to 7 5/8. I'm not having good luck.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
squid said:
Looks good from where I'm sitting. Try it with the front down lower.

When my mother-in-law sees me in a hat she doesn't know yet, she'll ask me to try several ways, so she can get a better impression. (Usually, I wear my hats rather front down.) When she asks me to push it to the back of my head, she'll invariably say "Now wear it Reb Yid style."

Boroparkpyro

New in Town
Twitch said:
That's a decent hat. I'd sure wear it....it's my size too.:)

I got another hat of the same size in my Ebay binge... you can see it in this thread.

My third "Dumb Ebay Binge" hat came yesterday, it's a really nice-looking (or at least i assume once it gets back into shape) crushable gray (real gray, not like that other one) felt fedora... i just bid on it before realizing to check what size it is :p . Way too small for me. It's here.

:eusa_doh:

Boroparkpyro

New in Town
Dinerman said:
what size is the borsalino?

on the inside of the sweatband there's a red 5 printed, and there's also a printed label stuck on the inside of the hat, behind the sweatband on one side, that says:

A2864
BISMUTO
76-55580
4 1/2

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
not necessarily

Dinerman said:
so that makes it a 7-1/8?

It has been my experience with a few borsalinos that the sweat is often marked a size (or two) larger than the actual size of the hat. Others can confirm this, I think.
I purchased a lovely Borso when the seller only relayed info on the size marked on the band (5) and neglected to mention that there was a perfectly good, visible tag, clearly marked "7" in the rear of the hat where you would expect!
Long story short(er) bought it for $30, sold it for $150+, so no blood, no foul, eh?

squid

One of the Regulars
Boroparkpyro said:
i wish.
if it were, it would fit me.

it's a bit smaller than that.

If it's a 4 1/2 (FR) that should be a 7 (US). If you wear a 7 1/8 then you should be able to stretch it one size. I stretched an old Borsalino that turned out great.

An antique stretcher would pay for itself in no time if you bought size 7 hats and stretched them to 7 1/8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner