Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Looks more like a reaction to or bleed from the sweatband than a ribbon change, and minor moth nibbles.
Amiata is the color(likely related to an Italian Volcano) and Driasti is a slang for the model(non-retail use) and means nothing in translation. Does seem to be a Gray with a bit of a Mauve blush.
amiata.jpg

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks Robert!

I still think it was a wider ribbon, as the blemishes in the felt are so tiny. Insect nibbles may be shallow, but the spot where I think it is a needle hole it looks just like someone pushed a needle through at an angle. I've dealt with plenty of insect nibbles and tracks; if this is insect then it is from a tiny insect. Instead, the blemishes are at regular intervals and some of them are puckered up (I had called it a pimple) where the needle may have poked through from the inside of the hat. These are matched by pinholes in the liner. However, sweat band bleed is also a likely culprit - it was stiff and shows sweat stains, I've cut it out of the hat already.

I read about the Amiata volcano also, and that is probably the best match as the spelling is exactly the same. Not sure why this name for the color, though. It is in Tuscany, and one of the shades of Tuscan Red (wikipedia) is Tuscany and it comes reasonably close to the color of the felt. Quoting from wikipedia - The source of this color is the "Pantone Textile Paper eXtended (TPX)" color list, color #16-1219 TPX--Tuscany. So maybe that is it, though Tuscany Red is more saturated or more red than this felt color. Not to be confused with Tuscan Red, which is definitely a red.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
John, I'd agree with Robert (obviously :)) that the ribbon on your MGL is the original.

I took a quick snapshot of mine and the ribbon is the same as yours. It looks as though the darker felt on your hat does coincide with the position of the sweatband. The model name on mine is different as well.

smugshot_2355576-M.jpg
smugshot_9872795-M.jpg

Another vote for original ribbon, John (which is not to say it would be wrong to do a replacement to minimize the discoloration) and Mount Amiata as a source for the ashen name. The Italians know about vulcanism. My MGLs show yet another the model name - Ecosca.

Borsalinos are a puzzle, which is one of the reasons we love them so. Congratulations on your new addition.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Probably the strongest clue is that the inside of the hat is grey in the same band (matches the sweatband imprint on the liner) and the reddish tone comes back above the sweatband area inside the hat as well. Sweatband is the culprit for the darker color, but still, someone put a wider ribbon on it at some point, maybe layered it on top of the original ribbon. The pinholes in the liner matching up with little puckers in the felt on the outside are a clue that someone else may have already tried the wider ribbon idea!

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Either way that's a very nice looking borso and it lines up nicely with your others.
If your looking for a wider ribbon I have several vintage ones in diff colors and a couple off of Borsalinos as well.
Shoot me a pm if your interested and I can send you some pics

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I tried to bid on the Homburg looking one, but to my disappointment, my internet completely crashed when I went to put my bid in. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Robert, what do you think the age is on the homburgish one? That Schoble is really nice too!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I tried to bid on the Homburg looking one, but to my disappointment, my internet completely crashed when I went to put my bid in. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Robert, what do you think the age is on the homburgish one? That Schoble is really nice too!

Within a few years of 1940 I would guess for the unbound Homburg(could be later). Cavanagh-like ribbon.

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass