Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Christy's may have made the hat for Stetson - I don't know who they used. The felt and sweat are much nicer than the okay current Christys though.

I look forward to photos of the Adam in situ :)

ManofKent

On the subject of increasing summer hat stock, I've got five mystery straws on their way from ebay. NOS and a bit musty smelling apparantly, and a mix of 7 1/2 and 7 3/8 - hopefully at least a couple will fit - I tend towards a generous 60 or small 61. There looks to be at least a couple of Biltmore in there, no idea about the rest, I just jumped in on the cheap BIN and took a chance:

On the subject of increasing summer hat stock, I've got five mystery straws on their way from ebay. NOS and a bit musty smelling apparantly, and a mix of 7 1/2 and 7 3/8 - hopefully at least a couple will fit - I tend towards a generous 60 or small 61. There looks to be at least a couple of Biltmore in there, no idea about the rest, I just jumped in on the cheap BIN and took a chance:

Great cache, Mano! I can see at least a couple of contenders...

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Bradford Ltd.

Soft Dress felt w/ sewn liner, unworn & fresh as a daisy. :thumb: I know nothing of the company. Anyone? Not a Byer-Rolnick, maybe made after Resistol got the name ?
Lovely soft dress weight felt. Comparable to any RD Stetson OR I have. Little seems certain about the manufacturer, tho'.

The Bradford hats are darn nice hats, I have owned one and sold it to Mike, however I wish I still had it, was super nice and a color all on it's own. I think they are on par with any Stetson without a doubt, and if I am not mistaken, made in Texas.

ManofKent

Dunn Lightweight arrived today.

The good news is the ribbon and felt are in excellent condition, the band is supple with only a little wear:

The bad news is I was expecting a 7 1/2 and it's a 7 1/8

On the positive side though it fits my wife perfectly :)

John Galt

Vendor
Just BIN'd this Hopkins on eBay. Strangely, they (Edit - this was eBay - seller appears innocent) had sent a message saying I'd won the auction, but that they (eBay) cancelled the listing. I saw the relisted item and bought it anyway because it appears to have a very tight weave, and I recently learned that Hopkins was famous for their straw hats (although I recently handled a fur felt that was pretty inferior - long but interesting story there about Hopkins & felts).

Anyway, these auction photos look promising, and it was still a good price ($49) for a quality "Panama" if the weave is anywhere as nice as it looks here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372047695.249886.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372047732.752886.jpg

John

Last edited:

winter_joe

A-List Customer
Just BIN'd this Hopkins on eBay. Strangely, they had sent a message saying I'd won the auction, but that they cancelled the listing. I saw the relished item and bought it anyway because it appears to have a very tight weave, and I recently learned that Hopkins was famous for their straw hats (although I recently handled a fur felt that was pretty inferior - long but interesting story there about Hopkins & felts).

Anyway, these auction photos look promising, and it was still a good price ($49) for a quality "Panama" if the weave is anywhere as nice as it looks here.

View attachment 2143

View attachment 2144

John

Very nice looking post more pics when you get it!!

John Galt

Vendor
Very nice looking post more pics when you get it!!

Will do Joe! The pics blur on close up, but this looks like a very nice weave to me. I'm actually curious if it is a parabuntal/balibuntal rather than a Montecristi toquilla straw weave. I have a really fine turn of the century parabuntal "Panama" (dated by the Portland Hat Museum curator) that seems similar based on these photos. I really wish I could see the center of the weave to evaluate it better. The buntals I have seen have an "X" and box type center, whereas almost every Montecristi I have seen has a spoke sort of center.

Maybe I'll post the parabuntal for comparison when this one arrives. Obviously, I will also be sewing or replacing the puggaree.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav