Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

froguy

New in Town
I was bidding on this hat until it was "cancelled". Was willing to go rather higher based on another Hopkins "para" I have which I love. If, when it shows up, its anything like what I think it is you got a steal. Look forward to seeing the comparison what what you're thoughts about it are.

John Galt

Vendor
I was bidding on this hat until it was "cancelled". Was willing to go rather higher based on another Hopkins "para" I have which I love. If, when it shows up, its anything like what I think it is you got a steal. Look forward to seeing the comparison what what you're thoughts about it are.

Sorry about that ;-). I went looking for it again as soon as I got the email message from eBay - got lucky this time, if it is what it appears to be. Frankly, a new paper "Panama style" hat of any sort of quality would probably have cost more.

As noted in my revised post, the seller appears to have been innocent - eBay had reportedly associated their brand new account with another user and cancelled all of their listings.

John

jskeen

One of the Regulars
:D

I don't know how you could doubt the hat and box belong together :eeek: :D

Really, I mean, the consistency of style, that inimitable elegance, the Je ne sais quoi that just says quality and sophistication.....

That or somebody's cat coughed up a hairball on top of the box and they decided to take a picture of it.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
You are bidding on a straw Cavanagh fedor /Panama/ Boater hat in absolutely great condition, sized 7 1/2

They left out it was also a top hat, stratoliner and on weekends drives the limo for miss daisy! lol!

John Galt

Vendor

FG:

It actually is a Montecristi, and a very nice one. Certainly better than I can ever really afford to buy at market. I will post pics a little later, with the old parabuntal for comparison. Sorry for the teaser...

John

John Galt

Vendor
Here is the Hopkins of Baltimore Montecristi:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372400774.984672.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372400796.251268.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372400830.919082.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372400855.818420.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372400878.618103.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372400725.935913.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372400725.935913.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 112

John Galt

Vendor
That last photo was "horizontal" on the brim. This one is "vertical."

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401381.301604.jpg

I get about 20/20 weaves, for 400/inch, but I don't know if I'm counting correctly.

John Galt

Vendor
This is the parabuntal dated to the end of the last century by the curator of the Portland Hat Museum, in consultation with her (undisclosed) hat experts:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401598.251313.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401613.818057.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401628.178966.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401647.118627.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401670.734734.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401712.051623.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
More of the parabuntal:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401807.917750.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401851.831877.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401891.598447.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401940.265372.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372401999.032080.jpg

The last two are horizontal and vertical, respectively, for the parabuntal. I get about 32/32, but again, I do not know if I am counting correctly.

John Galt

Vendor
Montecristi & Parabuntal respectively, side by side.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372402333.017766.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372402363.551513.jpg

Weight comparison:

Montecristi - 3 1/4 oz with silk pug (easy on/of -not glued)

Parabuntal - 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 oz (scale won't commit) with sweat band.

It is hard to read (you cannot see the small "e" in the photo), but the parabuntal says "LeCoeur," I believe, in pencil, and is also marked with a "G," and the size - 6 7/8.

The Montecristi is also marked as to size, 7 1/8, and has some other numbering and what looks like initials in the crown.

The parabuntal had these faux Bakelite & brass (the "brass" is plastic) buttons attached when I bought it (Etsy some time back), but I removed them because I don't like them and believe they were probably added after the hat was purchased.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372402751.682300.jpg

--------------------

The Montecristi came with an incipient little crack in the right front crease of the crown. The parabuntal is sublime, and feels more like cloth than straw.

Any thoughts you might have as to age and specific quality will be very much appreciated. I don't know much about these hats, and came up empty re LeCoeur when I looked.

These are the most beautiful "Panama" hats I've ever handled, But I may well sell them both because I am afraid that I may inadvertently damage one

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I have been watching the ebay seller that goes by the name timothiescloset for months now and I just don't get him. He seems to have learned a tiny bit, but for the most part he seems utterly clueless.

First of all his descriptions are often wrong. He either completely misidentifies model types or misses manufacturing date estimates by decades and often both at the same time.

But the funniest thing is that he starts auctions out with some of the most absurd prices on the Bay. He used to start nearly every auction at over $400 no matter what hat he was trying to sell. Very, very few fedoras would ever go for a $400 first bid on ebay.

But, lately he's seemed to learn a tiny bit by pricing at under $299, but it is still funny because most of his hats would never go for but half that regardless.

If you look at his sold list on feedback almost every single hat he's sold was a "or best offer" deal and you can bet what he got was substantially less than he wanted to start with. Also, few of his sales were for hats where his first price was over $300.

One would think that after a while of never getting what you think your hat is worth that you'd realize you don't know anything about hats and would stop pricing at such outrageously absurd prices and try a different strategy. Or at least try to learn something.

Anyway, this guy has been a head scratcher for me. One would think he'd make a lot more $$ and sell more hats if he changed his practices a bit because many of the hats he's had have been very nice.

But come on. A 1950s Dobbs or Knox for $400? Not gunna happen. (Or would so only rarely)

Anyway, that is my ebay vent for this month.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
I have been watching the ebay seller that goes by the name timothiescloset for months now and I just don't get him. He seems to have learned a tiny bit, but for the most part he seems utterly clueless.

First of all his descriptions are often wrong. He either completely misidentifies model types or misses manufacturing date estimates by decades and often both at the same time.

But the funniest thing is that he starts auctions out with some of the most absurd prices on the Bay. He used to start nearly every auction at over $400 no matter what hat he was trying to sell. Very, very few fedoras would ever go for a $400 first bid on ebay.

But, lately he's seemed to learn a tiny bit by pricing at under $299, but it is still funny because most of his hats would never go for but half that regardless.

If you look at his sold list on feedback almost every single hat he's sold was a "or best offer" deal and you can bet what he got was substantially less than he wanted to start with. Also, few of his sales were for hats where his first price was over $300.

One would think that after a while of never getting what you think your hat is worth that you'd realize you don't know anything about hats and would stop pricing at such outrageously absurd prices and try a different strategy. Or at least try to learn something.

Anyway, this guy has been a head scratcher for me. One would think he'd make a lot more $$ and sell more hats if he changed his practices a bit because many of the hats he's had have been very nice.

But come on. A 1950s Dobbs or Knox for $400? Not gunna happen. (Or would so only rarely)

Anyway, that is my ebay vent for this month.

You're thinking about it all wrong.

Lets say its a Knox Premier Whippet clone. Normally he would lucky to get around $100. (And i've seen some recent ones in excellent condition sell for less.)

But if he prices it at $300 knowing full well that its worth around a third of that and someone makes him an offer for $150. He gets more than he would at auction most likely and the buyer feels like they've made a score by knocking them down on price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav