Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jskeen

One of the Regulars
My wife said that this image looked like two women with their butts... well let's just say she thought it looked Not Safe For Work.
That is about 24 inches and 180 degrees away from what came to my mind when it popped up at the top of the page with no preamble.

Can't help it, I was a bottle baby.

fedoracentric

Banned
You're thinking about it all wrong.

Lets say its a Knox Premier Whippet clone. Normally he would lucky to get around $100. (And I've seen some recent ones in excellent condition sell for less.)

But if he prices it at $300 knowing full well that its worth around a third of that and someone makes him an offer for $150. He gets more than he would at auction most likely and the buyer feels like they've made a score by knocking them down on price.

Never thought of it that a'way. Interesting perspective. I'd still guess it wouldn't work out very often exactly how you put it, tough. I'd guess that 90% of the buyers out there look at a ridiculous $400 first bid price and just ignore the auction and then ignore every other auction the same guy puts up. His photo taking style is pretty distinctive, too, so his auctions are easy to skip from the main page without ever bothering to click on them.

Still, it takes all kinds.

I have been noticing that many folks lately are properly calling their top hats a silk top hat instead of saying beaver all the time. That is an interesting change.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Never thought of it that a'way. Interesting perspective. I'd still guess it wouldn't work out very often exactly how you put it, tough. I'd guess that 90% of the buyers out there look at a ridiculous $400 first bid price and just ignore the auction and then ignore every other auction the same guy puts up. His photo taking style is pretty distinctive, too, so his auctions are easy to skip from the main page without ever bothering to click on them.

Still, it takes all kinds.

I have been noticing that many folks lately are properly calling their top hats a silk top hat instead of saying beaver all the time. That is an interesting change.

It's just one strategy for trying to maximize profits, whether it works is still up for debate. Theres even the chance that just the right person who comes along who's willing to pay whatever price the seller has in mind.

On the upside from a buyers perspective, it can't be fun to sit on hats for an extended period of time. After a while i'm more than certain a person could make a far lower offer than the original price and see it accepted. In the end, some profit is better than none.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I usually filter my search results by maximum price, just so I don't torture myself over things I really can't afford right now. A lot of the things he puts up look great, but it's just not gonna happen.

Ofcoursemyhorse, that's a great homburg! I've been looking to replace my black homburg, it's just a bit too big.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Ofcoursemyhorse, +1 on that hat. Knox makes a very sharp homburg.

Not that this will add anything constructive, but I'll also add a mild gripe about those hats that are being priced at 4 times their probable value. I know my hat budget is lesser than many others' but I still have a hard time believing those hats will sell. I offered what I thought one of them was worth, and upped the offer three times, each had an immediate automatic decline.

I just remind myself that although I enjoy vintage, my long oval noggin can easily find better value in a custom than an overpriced vintage lid. I have too many hats in the first place, but hate to see them not getting worn.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Ofcoursemyhorse, +1 on that hat. Knox makes a very sharp homburg.

Not that this will add anything constructive, but I'll also add a mild gripe about those hats that are being priced at 4 times their probable value. I know my hat budget is lesser than many others' but I still have a hard time believing those hats will sell. I offered what I thought one of them was worth, and upped the offer three times, each had an immediate automatic decline.

I just remind myself that although I enjoy vintage, my long oval noggin can easily find better value in a custom than an overpriced vintage lid. I have too many hats in the first place, but hate to see them not getting worn.

Thanks, the seller says the brim binding and ribbon have a dark purple tinge to them as well which makes me a bit happier. I had a another Knox Homburg that was a really awesome shade of purple but I ended up giving it to my tattoo artist as a tip because it was a bit too large on me, but i still miss that hat.

I guess the timothiescloset guy is still deluding himself that he'll get anywhere near those prices. I'm sure he'd be more receptive five months later from now, when he's still sitting on his entire stock of hats.

I know someone on here recently bought a hat from theoutdoorteam which have a similar outlandish pricing model, but according to the member here they made an offer that was substantially less than the BIN price and had it accepted.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If any of you folks sell internationally on ebay please don't use their Global Shipping Program (it's not mandatory and will just put off international bidders) - two hat's I was interested in over the weekend came with pre-paid import duties of over $100 on top of the seller's shipping fee. Actual fees if the hat's had been picked up by customs would have been around $25-$30...

Miamibruno

One Too Many
If any of you folks sell internationally on ebay please don't use their Global Shipping Program (it's not mandatory and will just put off international bidders) - two hat's I was interested in over the weekend came with pre-paid import duties of over $100 on top of the seller's shipping fee. Actual fees if the hat's had been picked up by customs would have been around $25-$30...

Thanks for that info, ManofKent, I will take that off my listings. I hat to force extra fees on buyers.

John Galt

Vendor
I know someone on here recently bought a hat from theoutdoorteam which have a similar outlandish pricing model, but according to the member here they made an offer that was substantially less than the BIN price and had it accepted.

Hi, that was me. I offered a fair price for a vintage moss green Stetson Nutria Quality fedora in a Whippet like style, and the offer was accepted. I was a little surprised that this rather hard to find hat was not listed for much more from this particular seller in the first place, and also that my offer was accepted. (The hat was, I think, listed at $239, which was already significantly less than the seller's asking price for more run of the mill hats) The hat was shipped promptly, well packaged, and was as described.

It was actually a very good transaction. The seller does have some very nice lids - maybe I'll try again sometime.

froguy

New in Town
Montecristi & Parabuntal respectively, side by side.

View attachment 2274

View attachment 2275

Weight comparison:

Montecristi - 3 1/4 oz with silk pug (easy on/of -not glued)

Parabuntal - 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 oz (scale won't commit) with sweat band.

It is hard to read (you cannot see the small "e" in the photo), but the parabuntal says "LeCoeur," I believe, in pencil, and is also marked with a "G," and the size - 6 7/8.

The Montecristi is also marked as to size, 7 1/8, and has some other numbering and what looks like initials in the crown.

The parabuntal had these faux Bakelite & brass (the "brass" is plastic) buttons attached when I bought it (Etsy some time back), but I removed them because I don't like them and believe they were probably added after the hat was purchased.

View attachment 2276

--------------------

The Montecristi came with an incipient little crack in the right front crease of the crown. The parabuntal is sublime, and feels more like cloth than straw.

Any thoughts you might have as to age and specific quality will be very much appreciated. I don't know much about these hats, and came up empty re LeCoeur when I looked.

These are the most beautiful "Panama" hats I've ever handled, But I may well sell them both because I am afraid that I may inadvertently damage one

If you DO decide to sell them both or separately PLEASE keep me in mind. I was pretty sure I could tell from the Ebay listing that the Hopkins was a wonderful hat, at least as nice as the one I have, and your other photos just confirm this. Meanwhile, do enjoy.

Rick Blaine

Goldurn,mudderhunchin',corksuckin' son of a biscuit eater!!!

Made so deranged, discouraged & heartsick by this loss, I have given the last three days over to weeping, gnashing of teeth & rending of garments! (I should throw sackcloth & ashes in there somewhere too, I suppose.)

I was at a wedding out of town & just didn't ... wasn't...:mad2: AAaaaaaggggg!

Just tell me one of you lucky sods nabbed this deal of the year. That would mollify the pain... or simply inspire it to greater expression perhaps, I dunno... [huh]

This may cure me of ebaying, I'm broken. :boom:

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Made so deranged, discouraged & heartsick by this loss, I have given the last three days over to weeping, gnashing of teeth & rending of garments! (I should throw sackcloth & ashes in there somewhere too, I suppose.)

I was at a wedding out of town & just didn't ... wasn't...:mad2: AAaaaaaggggg!

Just tell me one of you lucky sods nabbed this deal of the year. That would mollify the pain... or simply inspire it to greater expression perhaps, I dunno... [huh]

This may cure me of ebaying, I'm broken. :boom:

I can understand your feelings on this one...(was not I). These are Optimo affiliated. Couldn't buy it at the invoice price anymore--what a steal!!

ManofKent

winter_joe

A-List Customer
I'm no expert but 50's sounds about right. Looks a lovely hat, and you don't see that many blue ones.

I was briefly tempted myself, but the seller wanted $122 for shipping to the UK + $98 pre-paid import charges :eeek
Thanks there mok im a little upset with the shipping price as well. First time I ever had to pay that much in the U.S. But the hat makes up for it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats