Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars
It's a common occurrence in my world. Thank goodness I'm capable of reshaping them fairly well.

50757d85d185465bf975c42026fd0c03.jpg

ccbc11ad47d5cf04603e220c51b185fb.jpg

- Andrew

barrowjh

One Too Many
moontheloon, I picked up photrapper's other hat, a grey 7 1/8th that seemed reasonably priced BIN. It was shipped similarly but the box did not crush the crown, just folded up the brim a bit. However, the felt was so thin and pliable that it just doesn't matter so I made no complaint. I really don't need another hat but I wanted something to play with, and the price was right. The crown is not generous on this one, and that ruins it for me - I need a tall crown.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Just wondering , did anyone get one of the Borsalinos the last couple of days , the Alessandrias ? One was from J&J Hat Center , 7 3/8 New , I think , and they dropped the buy it now price to $200 , boom , someone jumped . The other said a two inch brim , grey I think , bid up and went for $260 , I think .

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of gripes about sellers that don't have the first idea what they are talking about....

This fool is covering all the bases apparently, here is his description:

"Vintage Lord Biltmore 7 Fedora Hat Stetson mods punk rock whippet open road style"

Half that crap in there have nothing whatever to do with his hat!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lor...680914?hash=item210bf75b52:g:PncAAOSwwpdW30~l
I wouldn't advice you to buy a TV-set. Mine is packed with that sort of mumbo jumbo - about other categories of goods, but just as "stupid". When I visited the US, the same kind of nonsense oozed out of my American friends' TV-sets ;)

I have not been following Ebay listings and sales closely lately but it seems, at least anecdotally, that prices have jumped up lately for good vintage fedoras. Is that the perception of others here on the Lounge that are actively engaged in the hunt?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I have not been following Ebay listings and sales closely lately but it seems, at least anecdotally, that prices have jumped up lately for good vintage fedoras. Is that the perception of others here on the Lounge that are actively engaged in the hunt?

if you follow guys like timothiescloset ... his prices are always ridiculous and completely out of bounds

but also on a random day he may take one of his $499 hats and make it $169 for like 2 hours ... I've seen him do this a lot lately

other than sellers like him .. quality vintage hats from the 50s and earlier with large brims and high crowns have pretty much always been pricey ...

you will stumble across those sellers who either have no idea what they have ... or really want the piece to move though ... those disappear quite quickly

you also have people who think they have something special and price it at $759 when in reality it may be something that would realistically move at $220

It just seems to me that in the last few weeks prices have jumped. There is an Adams that will likely sell for north of $300 and I don't recall too many hats hitting that threshold in the past two years. There have been a few more that have hit the mid $200's that previously would have commanded in the low $200 range but I have not had a dog in the fight so not certain. Is the economy in the US picking up? Is there a bit more discretionary income out there?

Yes, if prices stay elevated or even rise I may begin to cull the herd a bit, sell the ones taking up valuable space. Hats that Moon has alluded to, ones that I purchased early in my addiction when still figuring out what I liked, what worked etc. I have some duds that were valuable to me as part of my education and in that sense got my money's worth, the fact is I do not wear them and they. only exist to inflate the size of my collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou