Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

It just seems to me that in the last few weeks prices have jumped. There is an Adams that will likely sell for north of $300 and I don't recall too many hats hitting that threshold in the past two years. There have been a few more that have hit the mid $200's that previously would have commanded in the low $200 range but I have not had a dog in the fight so not certain. Is the economy in the US picking up? Is there a bit more discretionary income out there?

I don't think so but hat addiction is reaching epidemic proportions.

New watchers and buyers come in waves. It only takes two enthusiastic bidders to create the appearance of hat panic. Or a couple of eBaynewbies, as in this auction.

g.durand

One Too Many
New watchers and buyers come in waves. It only takes two enthusiastic bidders to create the appearance of hat panic. Or a couple of eBaynewbies, as in this auction.

I'm not complaining, but I just sold this hat for a Stratospheric price to a bidder in Japan. (I've yet to receive payment, but it was 10 a.m. Monday in Tokyo when the auction closed.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Champ-Hersey-Hat-Co-Fedora-7-3-8-/152014596381

There were two bidders in Japan who went after it, and each of them has fewer than four Ebay transactions in their feedback profiles. This is the fourth vintage fedora I've sold to Japanese buyers. I also had an inquiry from a Japanese buyer about another hat I had up for auction. In a place where the cost of consumer goods is high, we may be in for more hat inflation if there is a growing demand for vintage hats there.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm not complaining, but I just sold this hat for a Stratospheric price to a bidder in Japan. (I've yet to receive payment, but it was 10 a.m. Monday in Tokyo when the auction closed.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Champ-Hersey-Hat-Co-Fedora-7-3-8-/152014596381

There were two bidders in Japan who went after it, and each of them has fewer than four Ebay transactions in their feedback profiles. This is the fourth vintage fedora I've sold to Japanese buyers. I also had an inquiry from a Japanese buyer about another hat I had up for auction. In a place where the cost of consumer goods is high, we may be in for more hat inflation if there is a growing demand for vintage hats there.
Good for you! The Japanese buyers drove up the price of vintage guitars in the 70's and 80's.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I have high hopes for at least a 2.5" wide brim, in some pics it looks like it could be wider. However, I've been fooled by camera angles before and if it turns out to be stingy it will be a disappointment.

A couple of project hats came in the mail yesterday. Great examples of how to stuff a hat into too small of a box. And an example of the Postal Service's excellent service.

Picture15.jpg
Picture16.jpg
Picture14.jpg

In this case, it's not a big deal, as these both need to be rebuilt from the ground up. The thin ribbon is a Berg of Hollywood. The felt is in pretty good shape, as is the brim binding. The thin ribbon will have to be replaced, of course, and it has no sweat band. It's a 7 1/8, so I'll have to clean and re-block it to 7 1/4, get a sweatband from Bond, and put a new ribbon on it.

The second is a Barclay. A couple of moth nips on the crown, but all in all, a good piece of felt. It's a 7/14, so just a re-block, not a resize. The original sweat is still in it, but partially torn and will also need replaced. I'll likely take the ribbon off to work on it, but I like the color contrast, so I'll try to reuse it.

Looks like I'm breaking out the campstove fuel and bucket this weekend. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "bucket list."

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars
A couple of project hats came in the mail yesterday. Great examples of how to stuff a hat into too small of a box. And an example of the Postal Service's excellent service.

View attachment 46829 View attachment 46830 View attachment 46831

In this case, it's not a big deal, as these both need to be rebuilt from the ground up. The thin ribbon is a Berg of Hollywood. The felt is in pretty good shape, as is the brim binding. The thin ribbon will have to be replaced, of course, and it has no sweat band. It's a 7 1/8, so I'll have to clean and re-block it to 7 1/4, get a sweatband from Bond, and put a new ribbon on it.

The second is a Barclay. A couple of moth nips on the crown, but all in all, a good piece of felt. It's a 7/14, so just a re-block, not a resize. The original sweat is still in it, but partially torn and will also need replaced. I'll likely take the ribbon off to work on it, but I like the color contrast, so I'll try to reuse it.

Looks like I'm breaking out the campstove fuel and bucket this weekend. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "bucket list."
Are you washing them? Hence, the camp stove and bucket?

- Andrew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou