Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
My worst experience all time (so far) on ebay is this: made an offer to a new seller out of Venezuela for one of those venezuelan borsalinos. I don't mind giving a new seller a chance, right? So i talked him through how to accept an offer blablabla and made the purchase for $40 or so. Time goes by. He never ships it. I have to open a case. He ships it finally. It arrives while im at work and my wife signs for it from fedex. When i get home to see the delivery, oh my, i have never seen a more damaged box. I open it up and the brown fedora has been stabbed and partially painted blue!!! I of course have to open another case to get my money back. I do win the case. Then a month or so later i get a $100 bill from fedex for the customs charges on the hat because the seller claimed it was worth $1350!!!!! It took months of arguing ad nauseum with fed ex, and then finally the collection agency to get the fraudulent bill resolved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered a Canadian Stetson from a seller several months ago. It never came. I pinged him several times - no answer. Opened a case. EBay never got a response either. My $$ was refunded pretty quickly and the seller, who had a track record and excellent rating, never returned.

I wonder if he died.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Ya know, I don't care when people resell a hat I sold them. But if they are going to relist it on ebay, at least take your own pictures and use your own language in the description.

This seller literally used my photos and descriptions. The same ones I took time to take and upload and the same description I spent time writing and measurements I took time taking. They didn't even ask me.

So for any of you that are going to be watching this hat, this auction is NOT mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112242284746?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Ya know, I don't care when people resell a hat I sold them. But if they are going to relist it on ebay, at least take your own pictures and use your own language in the description.

This seller literally used my photos and descriptions. The same ones I took time to take and upload and the same description I spent time writing and measurements I took time taking. They didn't even ask me.

So for any of you that are going to be watching this hat, this auction is NOT mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112242284746?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I understand how that might make you feel, but let me give you a story from the other side.

About beaux coups years ago, I was talking with a cohort from a previous employer about a year after leaving. She asked if I had ever written a presentation on a certain subject. I had, but had never given it before an audience. Apparently a person who played thorn-in-the-side was using the presentation, changing only the "Presented by:" name. In that business "Presented by" is assumed to be "Prepared by" unless specified as different.

It turned out several people in the audience figured out I was the author from the style of the slides.

Don't know if that helps, but plagiarists get bit in the butt. May it happen to the person who stole your words and pics.

Yeah, at least as a matter of personal pride I'd change it. Sheesh!

Scooterz

Practically Family
Found a nice Banjo Paterson on ebay for a good price. It showed up today. Looks to be in excellent shape. The rear brim is turned up instead of down. I will give it a few days before I decide whether to steam it an bend it back down or not.
thumb_Photo on 12-19-16 at 5.25 PM #2_1024.jpg

thumb_Photo on 12-19-16 at 5.52 PM_1024.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up

Yeah, that's pretty damn lazy. But at least for the folks browsing hats, it wasn't listed as a "brand new vintage 1940s 1950s 1960s 100% wool beaver felt Whippet" with lousy blurry pics that only show 12 diffrrent angles of the outside.
The downside to skill and knowledge, I guess.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, at least as a matter of personal pride I'd change it. Sheesh!

And to top it off......

I ask him to not use my photos.....then an hour later he wants to return the item and tells me that I made a mistake measuring the hat because he measured 1/16 of an inch bigger than I did. (which is a total lie) In the auction I said no returns, and he starts something with ebay. What a fraud. This is an absolute joke. This is why I am seriously considering not selling on ebay anymore. They treat their sellers like garbage.

He had no problem using my measurements when he wanted to charge almost double of what he paid.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Found a nice Banjo Paterson on ebay for a good price. It showed up today. Looks to be in excellent shape. The rear brim is turned up instead of down. I will give it a few days before I decide whether to steam it an bend it back down or not.
View attachment 63069

View attachment 63070
I like it that way. Looks practical, not like they tried to fedora-ize it with a curl.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
And to top it off......

I ask him to not use my photos.....then an hour later he wants to return the item and tells me that I made a mistake measuring the hat because he measured 1/16 of an inch bigger than I did. (which is a total lie) In the auction I said no returns, and he starts something with ebay. What a fraud. This is an absolute joke. This is why I am seriously considering not selling on ebay anymore. They treat their sellers like garbage.

He had no problem using my measurements when he wanted to charge almost double of what he paid.
this is really unfortunate Josh ... rotten apple potentially affecting the bunch

eBay and the hat community in general needs more folks like you who take great time and care with their offerings and always have unique quality items backed with knowledge

you leaving will just empower the unqualified and inadequate

this is really unfortunate Josh ... rotten apple potentially affecting the bunch

eBay and the hat community in general needs more folks like you who take great time and care with their offerings and always have unique quality items backed with knowledge

Hear, hear.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Hear, hear.

Thank you Gents, that really means alot to me. I take a lot of pride when I list a hat for sale. The ebay users name is "jung1" and if any of you are selling hats, you might want to put him on your "Blocked Bidder/Buyer List"

Thank you Gents, that really means alot to me. I take a lot of pride when I list a hat for sale. The ebay users name is "jung1" and if any of you are selling hats, you might want to put him on your "Blocked Bidder/Buyer List"

Full confession: I shamelessly stole the better portion of @Miamibruno's listing style, because he lays it out so nicely. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters