Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The Portis may be legit but at a moth eaten size 7, I bet it sits for awhile. I picked up a pristine 7 3/8 for around that money. Maybe I'll list it and my chocolate Royal Whippet for a grand each.

Moth bites are legit too.

like I said overpriced but legit ... the post it is being compared to is not even close to what it is described as

... and a little mothing has never bothered me ... especially on the underside of the brim

without the mothing that hat could fetch $150 at the right time

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Well, a Playboy with mothing, stains, and a partially detached sweatband went yesterday for $328. All bets are off at this point.

Definitely crazy!
But it is an unlined,unreeded , vented early model in a unique color with a debossed sweat.
It was worth it to someone .
Not in perfect shape but definitely not something you see everyday... and in a good size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely crazy!
But it is an unlined,unreeded , vented early model in a unique color with a debossed sweat.
It was worth it to someone .
Not in perfect shape but definitely not something you see everyday... and in a good size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I agree. I just think, personally, it's overpriced. You could send it to NW or Art for a sweat reattachment and cleaning, I guess. That adds what, another $100 - $150 or so to the price of the hat. I factor that sort of thing in as I'm sure you do, as well. If it was in the kind of shape your recent Strat is, that thing could have gone for $500 -$600. Way too deep for my keel, but yes, if it's worth it to the buyer, who am I to argue?

I dig the venting on that thing, though.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I agree. I just think, personally, it's overpriced. You could send it to NW or Art for a sweat reattachment and cleaning, I guess. That adds what, another $100 - $150 or so to the price of the hat. I factor that sort of thing in as I'm sure you do, as well. If it was in the kind of shape your recent Strat is, that thing could have gone for $500 -$600. Way too deep for my keel, but yes, if it's worth it to the buyer, who am I to argue?

I dig the venting on that thing, though.
totally agree...

staining always bothers me a touch more than mothing or popped stitches

I've had great success filling in minor mothing and fixing stitches ... but never much luck with staining on light colored hats

I am heavily in the market for a Playboy with a contrasting ribbon ... you don't see them often ... I was watching this one but just couldn't get past some condition issues and wasn't in love with the color to begin with

the very top of my wish list right now is an early unlined Playboy in grey with a black ribbon ... much like the one Alan has

I think if I find one of those and one of those hens teeth like Mode Edge Whippets I may be set .... oh yeah ... and a thin ribbon pre Stetson Mallory like 40cals ... yeah ... then I would be content for a while

totally agree...

I've had great success filling in minor mothing and fixing stitches ... but never much luck with staining on light colored hats

I am heavily in the market for a Playboy with a contrasting ribbon ... you don't see them often ... I was watching this one but just couldn't get past some condition issues and wasn't in love with the color to begin with

the very top of my wish list right now is an early unlined Playboy in grey with a black ribbon ... much like the one Alan has

I think if I find one of those and one of those hens teeth like Mode Edge Whippets I may be set .... oh yeah ... and a thin ribbon pre Stetson Mallory like 40cals ... yeah ... then I would be content for a while

Yeah...a while. Like maybe a month? [emoji1] There's always another goalpost.

I'm kinda the opposite. I've had fairly good results with staining via naphtha baths, I've had mixed results with mothing (usually by pouncing - never had any luck with holes). But if I'm after a truly collectible hat, a bad sweat knocks it into the bargain basement for me.

This one still had a lot going for it, though. The mothing was light and the sweat was/is repairable by a pro.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

40Cal

One Too Many
I decided to sell a couple hats on EBay this past week. I like EBay. It's easy and usually painless.
One hat had over 300 views and 30 bids! The high bidder wanted the hat so desperately he not only outbid the second highest bidder but he then added another bid on top for insurance. Must have really wanted the hat, right? Well, I sent him an invoice and he responded with a request to cancel the sale. No apology, no excuse , no communication whatsoever. Who does this?

Looks like I will be relisting next week. Hoping some of the bidders will return and bid again. Never a guarantee.

I've blocked the "buyer" in question from my Ebay auctions so as not to waste any more time on him. My question is.... should I list his Ebay ID here so those of you that sell on EBay can watch out for him? Or do you think this is uncalled for?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I decided to sell a couple hats on EBay this past week. I like EBay. It's easy and usually painless.
One hat had over 300 views and 30 bids! The high bidder wanted the hat so desperately he not only outbid the second highest bidder but he then added another bid on top for insurance. Must have really wanted the hat, right? Well, I sent him an invoice and he responded with a request to cancel the sale. No apology, no excuse , no communication whatsoever. Who does this?

Looks like I will be relisting next week. Hoping some of the bidders will return and bid again. Never a guarantee.

I've blocked the "buyer" in question from my Ebay auctions so as not to waste any more time on him. My question is.... should I list his Ebay ID here so those of you that sell on EBay can watch out for him? Or do you think this is uncalled for?
if you do not post it publicly please sent it to me privately

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
totally agree...

3 min

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Public service to our Fellow Loungers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou